Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Digital TV: Split signal from aerial?

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
this to say:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:37 GMT, wrote:

On 30 Oct,
Simon C. . wrote:

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

You must have an extremely large pad, or else you're using string to connect
the sets.

Hehe, unfortunately not. I've always assumed its because of marginal
reception and the far from ideal but unavoidable routing of the cable,
ie quite a few sharp right-angle bends that have left the co-ax pretty
badly kinked.

If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a better ærial and/or a _grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions). Certainly avoid a 'DC-to-light'
broadband amplifier such as designed (?) to boost FM transmissions as
well as TV.
Only when you have a decent signal should you consider distribution
amplifiers, splitters and so on.

--
Frank Erskine