Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Would you trust these guys?

Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter
how poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very
white and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable
really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the
door and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you
can say really, is there?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 19:10, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter
how poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very
white and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable
really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the
door and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you
can say really, is there?

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I certainly wouldn't trust them. But I don't trust anyone who comes
offering to do work. For years we've had double glazing salesmen
round, when we've said that all our windows were double glazed they
said they couldn't be, they were timber-framed. We've tried to explain
that glazing about glass not frames but they don't understand ...

As you say, not much you CAN say really!

Mary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter
how poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very
white and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable
really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the
door and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you
can say really, is there?

Reminds me of the cavity wall salesman doing a street of teraced
houses, which if they knew what they were doing, could have noticed
the houses are all flemish garden wall bond (i.e. 9" brick walls).
I did wonder how many people signed up!

Still, not as good as the conservatory for someone on the twenty-
something floor of a tower block.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Amazing how many people with no CWI & no loft insulation believe the
DG salesmen than you "lose 50% of your heat through your windows". DG
reduces the heat loss through the windows typically by 50%, which is
not the same thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 7:39*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Harry Bloomfield writes:

Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter
how poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very
white and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable
really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the
door and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you
can say really, is there?

Reminds me of the cavity wall salesman doing a street of teraced
houses, which if they knew what they were doing, could have noticed
the houses are all flemish garden wall bond (i.e. 9" brick walls).
I did wonder how many people signed up!

Still, not as good as the conservatory for someone on the twenty-
something floor of a tower block.

A lot of old walls with the old fancy solid wall type bonds turn out
to be cavity walls with snapped headers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter how
poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very white
and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the door
and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you can say
really, is there?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Although I did not trust him I did like like the guy that tried to sell me
new guttering.

He asked my (now ex) wife "is your Mum or Dad in?" when she answered the
door.

She hit the roof.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:47:34 -0700 (PDT), js.b1 wrote:
Amazing how many people with no CWI & no loft insulation believe the
DG salesmen than you "lose 50% of your heat through your windows". DG
reduces the heat loss through the windows typically by 50%, which is
not the same thing.

Quite. When you do the sums (amount of money spent on heating - only
heating) and the saving from DG, you never get your money back. The
savings is less than the interest the money would earn. At least it
used to be when savings rates were 4%.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes

[...]

. . . and fixed the guttering while she was up there :-?
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:10:52 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Just a couple of weeks ago I installed all new gutters, soffits and
facias - not the sort of thing which is easy to miss really, no matter
how poor your your eyesight. I mean they are sort of very long and very
white and very obvious really from even a good distance, unmissable
really.

Well tonight we had a couple of guys touting for work knocking at the
door and offering to do our gutters, soffits and facias. Not much you
can say really, is there?

Years ago my uncle (who's in the window trade) was up a ladder, putting in
a new window at my parents' house - a double glazing salesman stood next to
his ladder and rang the doorbell before launching into his spiel!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reminds me of the cavity wall salesman doing a street of teraced
houses, which if they knew what they were doing, could have noticed
the houses are all flemish garden wall bond (i.e. 9" brick walls).
I did wonder how many people signed up!

A lot of old walls with the old fancy solid wall type bonds turn out
to be cavity walls with snapped headers.

Actually, these were, with about a half inch cavity, insulated
over the following 100 years by spiders' cobwebs. I haven't pulled
enough of it apart to be sure, but I guess about 1/2 or 2/3rds of
the headers are snapped, the remainder forming the wall ties.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

He asked my (now ex) wife "is your Mum or Dad in?" when she answered the
door.

Many years ago when I was asked that question I thought to myself "not
good sales technique". It might work these days!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 10:27*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

wrote:

Reminds me of the cavity wall salesman doing a street of teraced
houses, which if they knew what they were doing, could have noticed
the houses are all flemish garden wall bond (i.e. 9" brick walls).
I did wonder how many people signed up!

A lot of old walls with the old fancy solid wall type bonds turn out
to be cavity walls with snapped headers.

Actually, these were, with about a half inch cavity, insulated
over the following 100 years by spiders' cobwebs. I haven't pulled
enough of it apart to be sure, but I guess about 1/2 or 2/3rds of
the headers are snapped, the remainder forming the wall ties.

Many have much bigger cavities too, with no consistent cavity size as
far as I know. Last time I checked supposed solid walls on a house
there were 4 different cavity sizes used on the one house!.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

He asked my (now ex) wife "is your Mum or Dad in?" when she answered
the door.

Many years ago when I was asked that question I thought to myself "not
good sales technique". It might work these days!

OMG! You are Adam Wadsworths ex wife?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 19:39, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Reminds me of the cavity wall salesman doing a street of teraced
houses, which if they knew what they were doing, could have noticed
the houses are all flemish garden wall bond (i.e. 9" brick walls).
I did wonder how many people signed up!

It is reported that in one town, the cavity wall people kept badgering
a terrace and offering a great deal if they all went in together. The
home owners knew, but didn't let on, that they had solid walls and
finally got the guys round just so that they could get someone's front
room redecorated at the insulator's cost - "do you know your drill's
just come through my living room wall?"...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

OMG! You are Adam Wadsworths ex wife?

Yeah well on the honeymoon we discovered something about each other...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

He asked my (now ex) wife "is your Mum or Dad in?" when she answered the
door.

Schoolgirl Uniform night, was it?

She hit the roof.

Bouncy. Cut down on the trampolining.

Not sure I trust these guys... John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking 43 May 28th 09 12:39 PM
Note sure I trust these guys John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 May 16th 09 08:21 AM
trust a trader whisky-dave UK diy 5 April 1st 09 04:35 PM
Your choose is the best,trust yourself! Sonia Home Repair 0 September 2nd 07 06:09 PM
Trust the professionals jon UK diy 5 November 11th 06 04:51 PM