Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric slug fence

Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.
No slug damage this morning!

Hehehehe how are you powering it, can't quite tell from the pics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.
No slug damage this morning!

Hehehehe how are you powering it, can't quite tell from the pics

PP3 (9V) battery, in series with a 470 ohm resistor and a high
efficiency LED (plus the earth rod resistance). The LED lights
to tell you there's some leakage current (high efficiency one
means you can see even fraction of a milliamp leakage at night).
It flashes quite brightly when a slug touches the contact.
Given the dramatic effect on a couple of slugs and a snail
which I saw approch it last night, I suspect a much lower
voltage would work fine too. It's probably not safe to use
such a scheme if you have livestock nearby, due to their
vulnerability to very low earth leakages.

Construction is 25mm PVC conduit with 12mm galvamised capping
screwed to the top. The profile of the capping is perfect for
rain water shedding from the top. I tried a deluge from a
watering can rose, and even that didn't cause the LED to light.
Just touching the rail whilst kneeling on the ground generates
enough current to light the LED though. Water droplets bead on
the surface of the PVC, so it won't conduct. It might be that
it needs lifting and wiping clean occasionally to maintain this,
but I haven't had it deployed for long enough to know yet.
Ground needs to be very level. I filled in a couple of dips
under the fence with some old building sand. A couple of tiny
slugs appeared inside the area, presumably sleeping inside the
fence when it was positioned. After removal, no more were seen
inside. I'll keep an eye out over the next few nights. Can
easily test the battery just by touching the rail and ground
with a hand. Operation probably requires that the area stays
damp, but a) that's needed for the plants anyway, and b) slugs
don't tend come out when the ground is very dry.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

Brilliant!

Until the animal rights activists (mollusc protection section) get to know
about it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Sunday 27 September 2009 11:03

In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk
writes:
[...]

Wow - I was looking at the jar trying to see the 10kV inverter circuit you
made...

But I suppose slimy slugs have a pretty low resistance so I can see how 9V
really gives them a spike (cf: anyone else, try licking the terminals of a
PP3).

You should market that - it's simple and, powered by a pp3 at 9V, pretty
idiot proof.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Sep, 11:03, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Colin Wilson o.uk writes:

[...]

Fantsastic! I've taken the liberty of cross-posting from uk.d-i-y to
uk.rec.gardening where I'm a long-term lurker, they'll be interested.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 10:20*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

This looks like a good one for the wiki. Would you mind the pic being
posted there?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/09 12:00, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:21:26 +0100, Tim wrote:

You should market that - it's simple and, powered by a pp3 at 9V, pretty
idiot proof.

Darwin says to wait for the evolution of slugs with jumper leads.

Or that adapt their tentacles for burrowing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

writes:

[...]

you might even be able to do this without a battery! remember the earth
clock that uses a copper tic and a zinc covered steel nail. Each copper nail
and tack make a cell of about 1 volt of Lecky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:03:26 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A couple of tiny slugs appeared inside the area, presumably sleeping
inside the fence when it was positioned.

I wonder if they where small enough to crawl fully up onto the PVC
then across the capping without touching "ground" at the same time? I
guess their slim trail would be conductive enough assuming it was
contiguious.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:51:50 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

On 27/09/09 12:00, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:21:26 +0100, Tim wrote:

You should market that - it's simple and, powered by a pp3 at 9V, pretty
idiot proof.

Darwin says to wait for the evolution of slugs with jumper leads.

Or that adapt their tentacles for burrowing.

or develop high resistance slime; if the resistance is adjustable they'll
be gastropots.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 9:20 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

I was going to make a slug/snail electric fence for my new garden.
I already have a 12 volt DC supply nearby so I was intending to run
two bare copper wires about a quarter of an inch apart on the timber
around the garden. After reading this I will put a resistor in the
supply line!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 12:08*am, wrote:
I'm plauged with cats, crapping on the lawn. Any designs for electric cat
fences? Prolly need 25v or more to give enough across the cojones to warn
them off.

The orange DIY shed(warehouse variety) sells a device that is PIR
mounted below a sprinkler. Leave connected to the hose and when an
animal walks in front of the sensor it gives a 5 second burst of water
as well as making a clicking sound. There is an adjustment for the
range of the PIR. Costs around £25. It does work well and if you keep
moving the device around the garden they will avoid the entire place.

You can also buy a device called ssscat which works well(search on
youtube to see examples). Shame the refills are only good for 150
sprays unless someone can recommend a safe way of repressurising an
air duster can.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:08 am, wrote:
I'm plauged with cats, crapping on the lawn. Any designs for electric cat
fences? Prolly need 25v or more to give enough across the cojones to warn
them off.

The orange DIY shed(warehouse variety) sells a device that is PIR
mounted below a sprinkler. Leave connected to the hose and when an
animal walks in front of the sensor it gives a 5 second burst of water
as well as making a clicking sound. There is an adjustment for the
range of the PIR. Costs around £25. It does work well and if you keep
moving the device around the garden they will avoid the entire place.

You can also buy a device called ssscat which works well(search on
youtube to see examples). Shame the refills are only good for 150
sprays unless someone can recommend a safe way of repressurising an
air duster can.

Dave

Just occurred to me that I never see slugs on the fence, and potted
plants stood on a length of wooden gravel board don't seem to be
attacked. It's either the preservative or the surface texture they don't
like. Maybe a case for decking after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 27 Sep, 16:09, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:03:26 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:
A couple of tiny slugs appeared inside the area, presumably sleeping
inside the fence when it was positioned.

I wonder if they where small enough to crawl fully up onto the PVC
then across the capping without touching "ground" at the same time? I
guess their slim trail would be conductive enough assuming it was
contiguious.

--
Cheers
Dave.

an excellent idea! IMHO tis indeed the littlest b*ggers that do the
most eating - anychance AG can do some controlled testing with
assorted sized slugs with a tasty hosta/petunia/dahlia/delphinium
salad as bait?

cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You do all know that slugs won't cross a copper wire even if it is not
connected to a PSU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...17&id=16195464...

No slug damage this morning!

I was going to make a slug/snail electric fence for my new garden.
I already have a 12 volt DC supply nearby so I was intending to run
two bare copper wires about a quarter of an inch apart on the timber
around the garden. After reading this I will put a resistor in the
supply line!

My wife will be interested in this. But please explain to me what the
resistor is for? I'm sure my physics GCSE (grade B, 1988) will
stretch to me actually understanding it, but I can't bring enough pre-
existing knowledge to understand it on my own!! Also, why the LED?

Perhaps a full "how to build an electric slug fence" guide is
required?

THanks

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

maybe the design could be "tweaked" to kill the b*ggers rather than
merely put them off? or am i being dangerously over optimistic.....
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

This looks like a good one for the wiki. Would you mind the pic being
posted there?

That's fine, but I suggest to wait a bit - one night alone doesn't
mean much yet.

Yesterday in the bright sun, the lengths of PVC and steel bowed in the
heat a bit, like large bi-metal strips, so I really need slotted holes
drilled in the steel. By evening when the slugs appear, it was all laying
flat again.

Last night, there was a tiny leakage, just visible as a faint glow in
the LED if I switched off all the lights. Only a fraction of a milliamp,
but it will reduce battery life. I notice some soil has been splashed up
the PVC by my watering (it hasn't rained here). I'm going to try some wax
polish on the PVC if I get a chance before tonight, to enhance the water
repellent effect.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

You do all know that slugs won't cross a copper wire even if it is not
connected to a PSU.

Yes indeed. Any thoughts on how well a copper frame would work - made out of
4 lengths of 15mm copper pipe with elbows at the corners?

Obviously, it would tarnish over time. Would tarnished copper still repel
slugs?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 00:08:13 +0100, me9 wrote:

On 27 Sep,
Jules wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

You need a good expense account for moats.

:-) Not on that scale - was idly thinking some PVC pipe split down the
middle to make the channels, then glued with normal pipe joint stuff to
make them hold water. Disadvantage that it needs to all be level, unlike
the electric version...

I'm plauged with cats, crapping on the lawn.

Ours do OK in the warmer months. But the garage has a dirt floor, so
you can imagine what happens when the lawns are frozen solid :-(

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

You do all know that slugs won't cross a copper wire even if it is not
connected to a PSU.

I wouldn't bank on it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:08:43 -0500, Jules wrote:

... was idly thinking some PVC pipe split down the middle to make the
channels, then glued with normal pipe joint stuff to make them hold
water.

Seems a lot of work. Why not buy it off the shelf complete with
proper water tight joints? It's called guttering...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Sep, 10:20, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

--
Andrew Gabriel

It might not be permanent - it's only stopping slugs which are outside
the perimeter. If the bed of earth/compost is on earth they might well
come up from underneath - which is where they spend most of their
time.

I'm surprised that you've lost autumn crocus to slugs, mine have given
the best show ever this year and we're certainly not short of slugs.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:02:42 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:08:43 -0500, Jules wrote:

... was idly thinking some PVC pipe split down the middle to make the
channels, then glued with normal pipe joint stuff to make them hold
water.

Seems a lot of work. Why not buy it off the shelf complete with
proper water tight joints? It's called guttering...

Yes and no - I don't think guttering joints are designed for continual
submersion, plus as the joints expanded and contracted they might pull
dirt in and then fail. I expect it'd work for a few years, then need some
tinkering with.

'course any moat system still needs clearing from debris, possibly much
more frequently than Andrew's electrical system (where stuff will tend to
blow/fall off, rather than collecting in a trough)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Jules writes:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

Yes, they can swim, sort of.
I dropped one in the toilet, which had made its way indoors through
a hole in the wall. It managed to wiggle to the side and then climb
up the porcelain. It held on tightly enough to resist flushing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article . com,
Jules writes:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

Yes, they can swim, sort of.
I dropped one in the toilet, which had made its way indoors through
a hole in the wall. It managed to wiggle to the side and then climb
up the porcelain. It held on tightly enough to resist flushing.

Wrap 'em in toilet paper first, then flush, that sorts the buggers.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
It might not be permanent - it's only stopping slugs which are outside
the perimeter. If the bed of earth/compost is on earth they might well
come up from underneath - which is where they spend most of their
time.

I'm surprised that you've lost autumn crocus to slugs, mine have given
the best show ever this year and we're certainly not short of slugs.

These are new bulbs. They only arrived and were planted 3 weeks ago.
The same bed is stuffed full of bluebells in spring, and the slugs/
snails never manage to make much of a dent in them, but they're well
established.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:37:01 +0100, bof wrote:
Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

Yes, they can swim, sort of.
I dropped one in the toilet, which had made its way indoors through
a hole in the wall. It managed to wiggle to the side and then climb
up the porcelain. It held on tightly enough to resist flushing.

Wrap 'em in toilet paper first, then flush, that sorts the buggers.

Yeah, I'll just go and toilet-paper the slugs in my garden moat. My
neighbours would love that. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

You do all know that slugs won't cross a copper wire even if it is
not connected to a PSU.

I wouldn't bank on it

Exactly. Wouldn't stop your Ninja Slug would it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
Jules writes:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve
the same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given
need for watering plants anyway)?

Yes, they can swim, sort of.
I dropped one in the toilet, which had made its way indoors through
a hole in the wall. It managed to wiggle to the side and then climb
up the porcelain. It held on tightly enough to resist flushing.

One of them highly trained Ninja Slugs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

My army of frogs seem to handle the slugs here

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...17&id=16195464...

No slug damage this morning!

I was going to make a slug/snail electric fence for my new garden.
I already have a 12 volt DC supply nearby so I was intending to run
two bare copper wires about a quarter of an inch apart on the timber
around the garden. After reading this I will put a resistor in the
supply line!

My wife will be interested in this. But please explain to me what the
resistor is for? I'm sure my physics GCSE (grade B, 1988) will
stretch to me actually understanding it, but I can't bring enough pre-
existing knowledge to understand it on my own!! Also, why the LED?

The resistor would be just to limit the current in case of a short,
e.g. a whole pile of dead slugs across the wires!. I already have a
fuse but I don't want that to blow or I could lose my garden
overnight. According to the OP, only a very small current is enough to
stop the slugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 00:08:13 +0100, wrote:

On 27 Sep,
Jules wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:20:26 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
No slug damage this morning!

Are there lots of electric slugs in your area? :-)

Can slugs swim? Wondering if a moat around the garden would achieve the
same end but maybe have less maintenance requirements (given need for
watering plants anyway)?

You need a good expense account for moats.

I'm plauged with cats, crapping on the lawn. Any designs for electric cat
fences? Prolly need 25v or more to give enough across the cojones to warn
them off.

1000V should do it. Or buy a python.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F writes:
On Sep 28, 9:25 pm, larkim wrote:

My wife will be interested in this. But please explain to me what the
resistor is for? I'm sure my physics GCSE (grade B, 1988) will
stretch to me actually understanding it, but I can't bring enough pre-
existing knowledge to understand it on my own!! Also, why the LED?

The resistor would be just to limit the current in case of a short,
e.g. a whole pile of dead slugs across the wires!. I already have a
fuse but I don't want that to blow or I could lose my garden
overnight. According to the OP, only a very small current is enough to
stop the slugs.

Yes. I didn't want to kill them, because a line of smoldering slugs
around your flower bed doesn't look good, and they are food for things
like hedgehogs.

Also, I have an LED to let me know if there's any current leakage,
and doubles up as a battery test. In the event of a slug arriving
with a crowbar, I need to limit the LED current to 20mA to avoid
damaging the LED. If you want to see if it's working, the LED flashes
when a slug actually gets a belt. I also used it to test the effect
of watering the area.

Also as I mentioned before, I want to limit ground currents, as I
don't know what effect it might have on other wild and domestic
animals which roam around, and I have no wish to harm. I do know
livestock is very seriously affected by leakage currents at levels
you can't even feel, which is why you have to be very careful with
earthing of electricity supplies on farms.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457

No slug damage this morning!

My army of frogs seem to handle the slugs here

Ninja frogs?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

o.uk writes:

Decided to make an electric slug fence yesterday, after my new
autumn crocus shoots got eaten for the second night in a row.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1619546457
No slug damage this morning!

Martin, any chance of a wiring diag, and source of capping?

Why do you need a circuit diagram?
It is described in the thread in words.
Capping could be made from standard top hat section electrical wiring
protector.

Bob

Electric Fence ChairMan Home Repair 3 May 2nd 09 04:19 AM
Electric Fence Robert Blass Home Repair 32 October 7th 08 09:49 PM
Electric fence Chuck Norisez[_3_] Electronics Repair 3 September 29th 08 02:30 AM
electric fence? longshot Home Repair 19 March 12th 07 09:36 PM
Electric Fence News Home Repair 10 August 26th 03 11:05 PM