Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker door removal

I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double oven
and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life of me
figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range cookers seem
to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that releases the
sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or replace
it).

TIA!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double oven
and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life of me
figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range cookers seem
to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that releases the
sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or
replace it).

TIA!

Many have a quarter turn disk thing that makes it happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double oven
and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life of me
figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range cookers seem
to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that releases the
sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or
replace it).

TIA!

http://www.applianceaid.com/oven-hinges.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double
oven and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the
life of me figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper)
range cookers seem to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool
that releases the sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or
replace it).

TIA!

Hi,
Look closely at the hinge, you will see an extra piece you can move so
the door binds on the hinge and then you can then remove the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Salisbury" nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
newshound wrote:
I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double
oven and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life
of me figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range
cookers seem to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that
releases the sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or
replace it).

TIA!

Hi,
Look closely at the hinge, you will see an extra piece you can move so the
door binds on the hinge and then you can then remove the door.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzc4...layer_embedded

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:01:47 +0100, "newshound"
had this to say:

I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double oven
and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life of me
figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range cookers seem
to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that releases the
sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or replace
it).

TIA!

What you need to do is to squirt it with WD-40, which (according to
their advertising blurb) will solve _all_ of your problems.
It'll probably even mend the broken glass in the door...

;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a reasonably recent Kenwood floor standing cooker with a double oven
and drop-down glass fronted doors (one broken). I can't for the life of me
figure out how to remove the door. Most of the (cheaper) range cookers seem
to use exactly the same hinge. Is there a clever tool that releases the
sprung hinges, or some other technique that I am missing?

(Yes, I know I could use an angle grinder, but I'd like to repair or replace
it).

TIA!

Look on each side of the oven door where the hinge lives. Is there a
little hole on each side? (By the sealing rubber)

If there is, stick a nail or anything that fits in each hole.

Then lift and pull the door foward.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Is there a clever
tool that releases the sprung hinges, or some other technique that I
am missing?

Is there a little fold-up 'hinge' that catches on a little spur on the
bottom of the 'arm' of the hinge? It's possible that if there is that it
might not quite reach the spur if the internal rollers inside the oven are
worn, so it looks like it doesn't do anything useful.

Al.

gas cooker removal whisky-dave UK diy 5 October 3rd 07 12:02 PM
Removal / Installation of gas hob & cooker Red UK diy 2 September 14th 05 07:50 PM
Rubber sealing from cooker overn door Big Craigie UK diy 4 May 9th 05 12:11 PM
Cooker - replacing rubber door linings???? Andy Evans UK diy 2 January 3rd 05 08:58 PM
patio door removal mikey mike UK diy 11 February 27th 04 07:00 PM