Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas cooker removal

I'm about to remove an old gas cooker that uses one of those bayonet
connection hoses.
My new cooker will be electric.
Can I just leave the gas pipe in place as hopefully it'll seal itself when
the cooker hose is removed. I have a can of leak detector at the ready just
in case.

I see I have two options
Provided there's no leaks.

1/ Is it OK to just paint over the pipe ?
2/ Or to remove or seal the end of the gas pipe.

I assume a corgi registered plumber is required for this but what sort
of cost would this be. Living in London

thanks dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:25:01 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

I'm about to remove an old gas cooker that uses one of those bayonet
connection hoses.
My new cooker will be electric.
Can I just leave the gas pipe in place as hopefully it'll seal itself when
the cooker hose is removed. I have a can of leak detector at the ready just
in case.

You can leave it. A squirt of leak detector on the socket to check it's
not leaking is good.

I see I have two options
Provided there's no leaks.

1/ Is it OK to just paint over the pipe ?

You mean metal (steel or copper) pipe up to the bayonet? It's OK to paint
that.

2/ Or to remove or seal the end of the gas pipe.

I assume a corgi registered plumber is required for this but what sort
of cost would this be. Living in London

I'd guess around £50 - mainly for the callout. Perhaps you have other
plumbing work that needs doing at the same time?

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
I'm about to remove an old gas cooker that uses one of those bayonet
connection hoses.
My new cooker will be electric.
Can I just leave the gas pipe in place as hopefully it'll seal itself
when the cooker hose is removed. I have a can of leak detector at the
ready just in case.

I disagree with Mr Stumbles and would suggest that while the bayonet
fitting is acceptable for temporary disconnection whilst changing a
cooker, it is not suitable for permanent disconnection.

Even if the bayonet fitting is leakproof when disconnected, that does
not mean it would remain so in perpetuity.

You may be right... if so, I would guess it would be possible to buy a
blanked-off male bayonet fitting. Anyone know?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
I'm about to remove an old gas cooker that uses one of those bayonet
connection hoses.
My new cooker will be electric.
Can I just leave the gas pipe in place as hopefully it'll seal itself
when the cooker hose is removed. I have a can of leak detector at the
ready just in case.

I disagree with Mr Stumbles and would suggest that while the bayonet
fitting is acceptable for temporary disconnection whilst changing a
cooker, it is not suitable for permanent disconnection.

I'd heard that but wasn't sure of how true it was.
Are these still used on new appliances as I've not seem them stated.

Even if the bayonet fitting is leakproof when disconnected, that does not
mean it would remain so in perpetuity.

That's why I was thinking about painting all over it to seal it.
And it couldn't be used again unless replaced.

You may be right... if so, I would guess it would be possible to buy a
blanked-off male bayonet fitting. Anyone know?

I did think of that, but not sure if I could legally DIY it,
as I wouldn't really be fitting in a new gas appliance.
But my guess is that any work done on a gas pipe needs
to be 'corgied'.
I assume chewing gum and masking tape is also out of the question ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:45:15 +0100, Owain wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
I'm about to remove an old gas cooker that uses one of those bayonet
connection hoses.
My new cooker will be electric.
Can I just leave the gas pipe in place as hopefully it'll seal itself when
the cooker hose is removed. I have a can of leak detector at the ready just
in case.

I disagree with Mr Stumbles and would suggest that while the bayonet
fitting is acceptable for temporary disconnection whilst changing a
cooker, it is not suitable for permanent disconnection.

Even if the bayonet fitting is leakproof when disconnected, that does
not mean it would remain so in perpetuity.

IANACorgi

I assume a corgi registered plumber is required for this but what sort
of cost would this be. Living in London

Paging Mr Sirett. :-)

A correctly installed (open end down) bayonet adaptor is unlikely to
spring a leak. It may be that tucked away somewhere in one of the
normative docs there is some advice?

The only phrase I can think of is that the adaptor is provided to allow
the cooker to be removed for cleaning. The implication is that removal for
indefinite periods _may_ be less than best practice.

It is easy enough job to remove the adaptor and plug the R0.5 hole.

Is the installer or the householder wants in one way or the other then I
guess that's OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:05:54 +0100 someone who may be "whisky-dave"
wrote this:-

But my guess is that any work done on a gas pipe needs
to be 'corgied'.

No, it needs to be done by someone with suitable skills. If it is
not for gain one can work on gas oneself, provided one has the
skills.

If it is for gain then bureaucracy has been introduced by officials
and party politicians. I have yet to be provided with any evidence
that this has made anything safer, despite asking several times, but
it has allowed lobby bodies to make themselves money and it has
allowed officials to keep themselves employed while doing nothing to
prevent things like http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4184962.stm

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

gas cooker Rocket Ron UK diy 6 January 30th 06 05:17 PM
Removal / Installation of gas hob & cooker Red UK diy 2 September 14th 05 07:50 PM
Gas cooker cut-off ? Ziggy UK diy 8 September 13th 04 10:13 AM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM