Ziggy

Default Gas cooker cut-off ?

An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

TIA
Lobster

"Ziggy" wrote in message
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Surely what's being suggested is nothing more complex than a gas tap fitted
to the pipe somewhere just upstream of the cooker, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...10563&ts=09220 Very
straightforward job. Costs £3 plus a plumber's minimum call-out charge I
would think

David

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:28:21 +0000, Lobster wrote:

"Ziggy" wrote in message
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Surely what's being suggested is nothing more complex than a gas tap fitted
to the pipe somewhere just upstream of the cooker, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...10563&ts=09220 Very
straightforward job. Costs £3 plus a plumber's minimum call-out charge I
would think

David

But 90%+ of cookers are supplied with pipes that are not easily accesible.
So the pipe would have to be routed to a convenient place for the pvalve
to be fitted.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ziggy wrote:
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most modern
types won't allow this?

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jason

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ziggy wrote:
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most modern
types won't allow this?

You would need to be able to let gas by via the unlit burners in order to
purge air from the gas supply pipe.

Jason

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:00:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Ziggy wrote:
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most modern
types won't allow this?

Thats true for ovens and more recently grills. You have to have an ancient
appliance before there is no flame failure device on the oven.

The latest up-market hobs also have some sort of flame sensing.

Otherwise there is nothing that can be done to protect someone from
turning on a ring and not lighting it. However the rate of gas and the
likely air changes in the room (which has a minimum size if a cooker is
fitted) _should_ mean that such a situation won't build to a dangerous
concentration of gas, not a good idea to try it out evenso.

The only reasons I can think of to add a convenient cut off for a cooker
would be :
a) To allow the gas to be cut when there is a minor fire/boiling over etc.
where the normal control knob would be hazardous to use. This would
exceed the requirements for complying with gas regs although it is
conceivably a good thing by analogy with the electric regs.

b) To ensure the gas was cut off as opposed to turning off all the knobs.
I'm not up on what's needed for older people, the Alms houses I look after
all have electric cookers (by choice of the residents). However I think if
the user is at this level perhaps they ought not to be (gas) cooking?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article .uk,
"Ed Sirett" writes:

I'm not up on what's needed for older people, the Alms houses I look after
all have electric cookers (by choice of the residents). However I think if
the user is at this level perhaps they ought not to be (gas) cooking?

In the old peoples' flats I got familar with, gas cookers were not
allowed by the lease conditions. All the flats had gas central heating
with sealed unit boilers, but not anything which would have allowed
gas into the rooms. Let me assure you it's possible to do all sorts of
really nasty things with an electric cooker, without adding gas into
the equation;-) Come to that, we even had problems with the toaster...

--
Andrew Gabriel
John

Ziggy wrote:
An elderly person I know has recently had a stroke and will shortly
return home. Mentioned as a good idea was a method to isolate the
gas cooker if she is left alone for a while - reason being in case she
forgets to turn it off - and to get in touch with a Corgi registered
plumber to do the job. Anyone any idea of such a device and just what
it does? Never heard of the like myself, so wondering as to what it
is and the likely cost.

Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most modern
types won't allow this?

I wish "most" was an accurate assessment Dave. "Some" is probably a more
appropriate word.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John wrote:
Are you worried about gas being turned on but not lit? Thought most
modern types won't allow this?

I wish "most" was an accurate assessment Dave. "Some" is probably a more
appropriate word.

Yes - it just occurred that changing the cooker for a modern one which
has might be the cheapest option.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *