Tim Downie

Default Arrghhh! My brain hurts. Electrical trouble with new cooker.

Took delivery of a new dual fuel cooker today. (It's a Cannon Henley dual
fuel cooker not that suppose that makes any difference).

Prior to installation, I had reinstated the old electrical connection (which
had lain disconnected and unused for years when we had a gas only cooker)
and wired it to a new 32amp MCB in the consumer unit. Our unit is split
into non-RCD protected circuits on one side (lights, CH and alarm) and RCD
protected circuits on the other (sockets etc.)

I fitted the new MCB to the non-protected side and everything seemed to work
(at least with a meter)

Fitted the cooker and switched on at the wall and the clock duly lit up and
the igniter worked fine for the gas hobs. Turned on the *gas* grill and the
power died. The RCD had tripped. Same happens if I turn on the oven.

What's going on? Even if I've fitted the mcb to the wrong side, how can the
RCD trip when the mcb is on the non-protected side?

Any suggestions before I tear the remains of my hair out?

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

LOZ34

Check that if the mcb is on the non Rcd side that the neutral is also
connected to the non rcd neutral rail. did this on my own consumer unit a
while ago, and the embarrassing thing is I'm an electrician shucks.

loz
"Tim Downie" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Stanton

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:06:03 +0000, LOZ34 wrote:

Check that if the mcb is on the non Rcd side that the neutral is also
connected to the non rcd neutral rail. did this on my own consumer unit a
while ago, and the embarrassing thing is I'm an electrician shucks.

Agreed. Did this awhile ago on customers lighting circuit. Spent 20 mins
looking like a prat.

Dave
Tim Downie

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:06:03 +0000, LOZ34 wrote:

Check that if the mcb is on the non Rcd side that the neutral is also
connected to the non rcd neutral rail. did this on my own consumer
unit a while ago, and the embarrassing thing is I'm an electrician
shucks.

Agreed. Did this awhile ago on customers lighting circuit. Spent 20
mins looking like a prat.

Bingo! I'm a prat! ;-)

Many thanks to you both.

Tim