Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio doors
opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level, therefore
pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or little
would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with the
edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?

Few examples at http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/decking_pictures.htm

Shaun & Clares deck for example, the garden slopes from left to right, one
end is 30cm above ground, the other end is higher.

Joe & Terri's deck is 15cm off the ground on one side but a lot more above
the grassed area - but would the top off the wall count as 'ground'?

Typical govmint legislation. badly thought out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Yep. The Department for Communities and Local Government appear to have
ignored requests for clarification on the issues you raise which were
made in response to the consultative document.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

On "deck", the legislation actually refers to "a veranda, balcony or
raised platform". There's no definition of "raised platform". It
*might* be that it'd be construed in the light of "veranda, balcony " .
On the other hand it might be that "raised platform" just takes its
ordinary meaning (whatever that is). Either way I'd think you'd have a
pretty good case for arguing steps ain't a platform. But I ain't a
lawyer and what really matters is what the planning officer thinks.

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with
the edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?

The consultation document prompted some to comment that the rule on
decking needed careful drafting to avoid confusion; and that ground
level should take into account slope and pre-existing ground levels. So
you can tell how much the department was bothered. But your avoidance
device might work (unless of course the bed is over 300mm high and is
itself a "raised platform"?)

FWIW the ex. memo. to the regulations said that "Shayne Coulson at the
Department for Communities and Local Government (tel: 020 7944 8716 or
email: ) can answer any queries
regarding the instrument" so if you are feeling lucky you could ask
him. Of course the chances are he's moved on to a different job since
the regulations were made over a year ago

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or little
would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with the
edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?

I doubt very much that raising the level of the ground outside the decked
area is a loop-hole here.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.

[...]

Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.

Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.

Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Sorry! :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or
little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

Dunno - but a reasonable interpretation may be that a step is a solid object
(Brick, concrete, etc.) whereas a deck is a raised wooden structure with
fresh air underneath.

BTW, in the first example shown in your photos, how the hell do you get to
the drains now that they're all boxed in?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 20 Sep, 17:49, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Clint Sharp wrote:
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.
Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.

Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Is the wood datestamped or could it be passed off as having been built
in September 08?

You "only" have to wait two years before the council can do nothing about it
anyway (provided that you haven't hidden it from view)

I can't imagine that anyone is going to notice a deck that is, say, 60 cm
off the ground, and complain, so the regulation seems entirely pointless for
low level decks. (and what is the point of it anyway?)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or
little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

Dunno - but a reasonable interpretation may be that a step is a solid
object (Brick, concrete, etc.) whereas a deck is a raised wooden
structure with fresh air underneath.

BTW, in the first example shown in your photos, how the hell do you
get to the drains now that they're all boxed in?

Funny enough the bloke who owns the house in that picture is - a drain
cleaning guy.

The boards between the last joist & the wall plate are cut to allow removal
of a 40cm length. If there is an inspection cover we build a hatch over it.
In either case it can be accessed by removing at most 16 screws.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.
Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.
Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Is the wood datestamped or could it be passed off as having been
built in September 08?

You "only" have to wait two years before the council can do nothing
about it anyway (provided that you haven't hidden it from view)

I can't imagine that anyone is going to notice a deck that is, say,
60 cm off the ground, and complain, so the regulation seems entirely
pointless for low level decks. (and what is the point of it anyway?)

The only point I can see is that, if you are over 30cm up you might be able
to see over your fence & intrude on your neighbours privacy. I mention this
when quoting if appropriate and usually get the extra work of installing
trellis :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:23:59 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
had this to say:

http://www.mrs-trellis.co.uk/

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or little
would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

I would say that a step is something that only has transitory use - in
passing from one level to another. As soon as you can use it for another
purpose, such as putting a chair on it, it becomes a raised platform. In
practice, it will be whatever your local building inspector says it is,
unless and until there is a Court rulling on the matter.

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with the
edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?...

That is irrelevant. The decking needs planning permission if it is more than
30cm above the *existing* ground level i.e. what it was before you started.
On sloping sites, it will be the lowest point on the ground under the
decking that counts.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:23:59 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
had this to say:

The only point I can see is that, if you are over 30cm up you might
be able to see over your fence & intrude on your neighbours privacy.
I mention this when quoting if appropriate and usually get the extra
work of installing trellis :-)

http://www.mrs-trellis.co.uk/

Excellent!

Will you welcome please; Mr & Mrs Decker and their son Desmond.

Will you welcome please; Mr & Mrs Decker and their pirate son Black Hand.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:27:40 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, "nightjar"
cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I would say that a step is something that only has transitory use - in
passing from one level to another. As soon as you can use it for another
purpose, such as putting a chair on it, it becomes a raised platform. In
practice, it will be whatever your local building inspector says it is,
unless and until there is a Court rulling on the matter.

Your local building inspector would rather not be dragged into
commenting on planning matters.

Whilst the Building Regulations requirements for stairs strictly
speaking don't apply to any change in level of less than 600mm in
dwellings, nevertheless one could use the guidance as, well, guidance.
An exit should have a level landing, clear of any door swinging across
it, at least as wide as the stair leading to or from it, and for
access to the building for disabled people, landings should be 1200mm
as a minimum. So if you had 1500mm wide french doors swinging
outwards, then the 'landing' should be 1500mm plus the width of the
doors out from the building, say 2250mm. You will then want to make
the steps with rises of between 75mm-150mm, and goings of at least
280mm, in order to make them nice and easy for people with limited
mobility, or better still a level approach no steeper than 1:20.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't look at it as a loop hole, more like landscaping the garden.
That has never been illegal.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

But if said step is too small to have another use - if it were 30cm wide x
200cm long for example?

In practice, it will be whatever your local building
inspector says it is, unless and until there is a Court rulling on
the matter.

AFAIUI the legislation doen't mention building control "Building regulations
should be assumed to apply to every structure that requires planning
permission". Is about all I can find.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how
big or little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

That which a reasonable person would view it as a "deck".

It comes down to a test of reasonableness re planning officer.
Legislation context is w.r.t. "overlooking". Magistrates will not
entertain an idiot PP over a tiny step provided for implied H&S usage
of a deck.

Build your deck below 30cm.
Build any step sized only to provide safe entry/exit to deck.

I see no problem with an intermediate step sized to door-width & stair-
depth to adjust 45-35cm house-floor to 30-0cm deck. The deck is below
30cm. The step must not remotely be sized as a "deck" by any
reasonable person's interpretation. You can't take the ****, but
*they* can try - at their expense and media embarrasment and household
insurance lawyers. Full stop.

Which PP wants to be the first to put its hand up for cost cutting on
Newsnight?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.
Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.

Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Is the wood datestamped or could it be passed off as having been built
in September 08?

And if not, is it datestamped now?

I am *so* glad there's no such thing as PP where I'm living these days!

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
[...]

That is clearly a step. The purpose of this legislation is to control people
building decking that gives them a view over their neighbours, property that
they would not previously have had. Keep that principle in mind and it
should be clear which work requires planning permisssion and which of those
are and are not likely to run into any problems getting it.

In practice, it will be whatever your local building
inspector says it is, unless and until there is a Court rulling on
the matter.

AFAIUI the legislation doen't mention building control "Building
regulations should be assumed to apply to every structure that requires
planning permission". Is about all I can find.

A senior moment. I meant planning, not building control.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:04:03 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

But if said step is too small to have another use - if it were 30cm wide
x 200cm long for example?

Everyone here seem to be thinking as "step" as something you could
stand or place at least your toes on. A step to me is just a vertical
rise, it could be a "small step" of a cm or three of a "big step" of
50cm or more...

No doubt this beautifully crafted and entirely thought through bit of
legislation(*) has the definition of what a "step" is somewhere
within it.

(*) Is it actual legislation or just a "reglulation"?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AFAIUI the legislation doen't mention building control "Building
regulations should be assumed to apply to every structure that
requires planning permission". Is about all I can find.

Not True! I can think of examples of things which require planning
permission but not building regs - and vice versa!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:04:03 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

But if said step is too small to have another use - if it were 30cm
wide x 200cm long for example?

Everyone here seem to be thinking as "step" as something you could
stand or place at least your toes on. A step to me is just a vertical
rise, it could be a "small step" of a cm or three of a "big step" of
50cm or more...

No doubt this beautifully crafted and entirely thought through bit of
legislation(*) has the definition of what a "step" is somewhere
within it.

(*) Is it actual legislation or just a "reglulation"?

What's in a name?

Some friends of ours were refused planning permission to put an upstairs
balcony at the rear of their listed building - so they built a fire escape
instead, which just happens to have a fair sized platform at the top!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:43:11 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

(*) Is it actual legislation or just a "reglulation"?

What's in a name?

One has the force of law the other is just a recomendation.

Some friends of ours were refused planning permission to put an upstairs
balcony at the rear of their listed building - so they built a fire
scape instead, which just happens to have a fair sized platform at the
top!

Love it. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:27:40 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, "nightjar"
cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I would say that a step is something that only has transitory use - in
passing from one level to another. As soon as you can use it for another
purpose, such as putting a chair on it, it becomes a raised platform. In
practice, it will be whatever your local building inspector says it is,
unless and until there is a Court rulling on the matter.

Your local building inspector would rather not be dragged into
commenting on planning matters.

A senior moment. I meant the planning officer.

Whilst the Building Regulations requirements for stairs strictly
speaking don't apply to any change in level of less than 600mm in
dwellings, nevertheless one could use the guidance as, well, guidance.
An exit should have a level landing, clear of any door swinging across
it, at least as wide as the stair leading to or from it, and for
access to the building for disabled people, landings should be 1200mm
as a minimum. So if you had 1500mm wide french doors swinging
outwards, then the 'landing' should be 1500mm plus the width of the
doors out from the building, say 2250mm. You will then want to make
the steps with rises of between 75mm-150mm, and goings of at least
280mm, in order to make them nice and easy for people with limited
mobility, or better still a level approach no steeper than 1:20.

I don't see anything there that would prevent it being classed as a raised
platform under the planning rules. Building it to adapt an entrance for the
use of a disabled person would be a good reason to get planning permission,
although even adapting a property for use by a disabled person is, as my
cousin can attest, no guarantee of permission being granted.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:39:03 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Will you welcome please; Mr & Mrs Decker and their pirate son Black Hand.

Mr and Mrs Wall-carpeting and their son Walter .... (ad infinitum on
ISIRTA :-))

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.