Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.

Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.

Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Sorry! :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the
patio doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden
level, therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or
little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with
the edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?

Few examples at http://www.medwayhandyman.co.uk/decking_pictures.htm

Shaun & Clares deck for example, the garden slopes from left to
right, one end is 30cm above ground, the other end is higher.

Joe & Terri's deck is 15cm off the ground on one side but a lot more
above the grassed area - but would the top off the wall count as
'ground'? Typical govmint legislation. badly thought out.