Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When is a step a deck?

After October 08 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your
garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning
permission, providing:

1) The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground

But what part of the deck?

Often people have a deck built after having a conservatory or extension
built, typical photo here
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rieDideck1.jpg
(built Sep 07)

The deck under the door threshold is around 60cm off the ground, the part
the tables & chairs are on probably 40cm and the step bottom right 20cm.

Any idea which part they would measure?

I will be asking my local planning dept, but wondered if anyone here had any
ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
After October 08 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your
garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning
permission, providing:

Gosh, I had no idea it ever needed permission.
I can't imagine either of my neighbours did so.
(Don't have any myself -- don't like it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:35:28 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

After October 08 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your
garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning
permission, providing:

snip

Surely people don't STILL have decking 'installed'? It's so mid-c20.

I thought it went out with drinks bars in the corner of the lounge.
And bean bags.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After October 08 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in
your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for
planning permission, providing:

snip

Surely people don't STILL have decking 'installed'? It's so mid-c20.

I thought it went out with drinks bars in the corner of the lounge.
And bean bags.

Nope, still very popular. In fact I did a quote on my way home tonight,
first of the year.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
After October 08 putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your
garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning
permission, providing:

1) The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground

But what part of the deck?

Often people have a deck built after having a conservatory or extension
built, typical photo here
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rieDideck1.jpg
(built Sep 07)

The deck under the door threshold is around 60cm off the ground, the part
the tables & chairs are on probably 40cm and the step bottom right 20cm.

Any idea which part they would measure?

I will be asking my local planning dept, but wondered if anyone here had
any ideas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I believe the law/regulation is :The Town and Country Planning (General
Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No. 2) (England) Order 2008
and in that it interprets "raised" in relation to a platform means a
platform with a height greater than 300 millimetres.
I would think that a planning officer would require a retrospective planning
application if there was a complaint from neighbours and any point on the
platforms perimeter (I presume platform must take a dictionary definition
and exclude rails etc.) is 300mm above ground level.
I think defining ground level is not simple eg put a raised flower bed round
external perimeter. I have friends who built an extension to their
engineering workshop and the submitted plans on which planning permission
was granted showed the height of the building and the "level" of the
pavement bordering the property. Despite exact conformance to the plans they
were subsequently forced to reduce the height by 800mm.

Peter K