Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or
little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

Dunno - but a reasonable interpretation may be that a step is a solid object
(Brick, concrete, etc.) whereas a deck is a raised wooden structure with
fresh air underneath.

BTW, in the first example shown in your photos, how the hell do you get to
the drains now that they're all boxed in?
--
Cheers,
Roger