Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Traps for people who pinch security cameras

After publicity about a number of vandals and taggers caught because
of hidden CCTV cameras that I have installed in the neighbourhood, I
decided to put up a rather obvious CCTV camera (fake) complete with
flashing red light.
Someone recently went to a lot of trouble to pinch the fake camera.
The theft and their car was recorded on three of the real cameras. Not
quite good enough to identify them but I'm working on a new camera
that should capture rego numbers.
I don't want them to pinch or damage the real cameras.

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F coughed up some electrons that declared:

After publicity about a number of vandals and taggers caught because
of hidden CCTV cameras that I have installed in the neighbourhood, I
decided to put up a rather obvious CCTV camera (fake) complete with
flashing red light.
Someone recently went to a lot of trouble to pinch the fake camera.
The theft and their car was recorded on three of the real cameras. Not
quite good enough to identify them but I'm working on a new camera
that should capture rego numbers.
I don't want them to pinch or damage the real cameras.

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

Fill it with cockroaches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 8:10 pm, Tim S wrote:

Fill it with cockroaches.

That won't stop them. There are already cockroaches that crawl over
the other cameras and get in the way of the lens. Damn things, I spray
them and then have to clean the lens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

I am disappointed that so many real cameras give such poor quality images or
they are positioned poorly that renders them almost useless. Eg. In banks
why not have them at face level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smar****er?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 9:03 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Tim S wrote:
[...]

The fake cameras are cheap. If I get the rego number and videos of
their crimes that will be enough to convict them.
I'd like to scare them a lot. I'm thinking of a loud alarm plus a
number of devices like rat traps. Purely to catch rats of course Your
Honour!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 9:09 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

10kV?

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 01:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

Some compound that gets on their hands and can't be washed off for
weeks? etc etc?

"Anti climb" paint, 'orrible stuff. Or something cheaper, henna hair
dye that is release from inside the camera and leaks out when it is
disturbed/removed.

Smart water is detectable but doesn't mark the person, or their
clothes, visibly which I guess is the what the OP really wants. I
can't think of something like henna but is bright green say.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 01:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

After publicity about a number of vandals and taggers caught because
of hidden CCTV cameras that I have installed in the neighbourhood, I
decided to put up a rather obvious CCTV camera (fake) complete with
flashing red light.
Someone recently went to a lot of trouble to pinch the fake camera.
The theft and their car was recorded on three of the real cameras. Not
quite good enough to identify them but I'm working on a new camera
that should capture rego numbers.
I don't want them to pinch or damage the real cameras.

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

Filll with indelible skin-dying ink which spills out of holes in the side when it's moved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 9:09 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

10kV?

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

You will have to try anti vandal paint then.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Harrison
writes
wrote:

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

Filll with indelible skin-dying ink which spills out of holes in the
side when it's moved.

A bottle of black Quink? Cheap and cheerful.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 6, 8:47 pm, "John" wrote:

I am disappointed that so many real cameras give such poor quality images or
they are positioned poorly that renders them almost useless. Eg. In banks
why not have them at face level.

Yes there is no excuse for poor pictures in a well-lighted area and
without fast motion. My problem is that the area is very dark. Many
infrared cameras have lots of bright red LEDs that anyone can see. I
have some small cameras that have invisible infrared LEDs. Why can't
all cameras have invisible LEDs?
Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

How is NZ for poisonous spiders?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
news
In message , Mike Harrison
writes
wrote:

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

Filll with indelible skin-dying ink which spills out of holes in the side
when it's moved.

A bottle of black Quink? Cheap and cheerful.

The trouble with paints and inks is that the solvent is designed to
evaporate. What the OP needs to do is replace or add a solvent which by
nature is fluid but stable and non volatile. Perhaps a heavy fractionate of
oil with some serious quantity of staining pigment. A open tin or bottle
would do the trick once it's moved and has toppled within the camera
housing. And then slowly oozes out of the housing?

It is sad that security systems are assembled with low quality cameras, and
low quality recording systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 8:47 pm, "John" wrote:

I am disappointed that so many real cameras give such poor quality images
or
they are positioned poorly that renders them almost useless. Eg. In banks
why not have them at face level.

Yes there is no excuse for poor pictures in a well-lighted area and
without fast motion. My problem is that the area is very dark. Many
infrared cameras have lots of bright red LEDs that anyone can see. I
have some small cameras that have invisible infrared LEDs. Why can't
all cameras have invisible LEDs?
Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk writes:

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

If you're looking up the price, make sure you're sitting down...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk writes:

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

If you're looking up the price, make sure you're sitting down...

You can get relatively cheap LED bulbs like this £15 + VAT + postage, so
shouldn't break the bank. Even has it's own photocell to turn it on at
night!

http://www.systemq.com/PDG_Commerce/...M780-Flyer.PDF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 09:10:18 +0100
Tim S wrote:

[...]

Put a tarantula (hungry) in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

[...]

Naw, they are pussy cats. Try a funnel web instead. :-))))))))))))

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon coughed up some electrons that declared:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

How is NZ for poisonous spiders?

Don't think they have many (any?).

Oz, OTOH...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon coughed up some electrons that declared:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

How is NZ for poisonous spiders?

Don't think they have many (any?).

Oz, OTOH...

I have an Oz customer who has an odd habit of shaking his shoes before he
puts them on. He says old habits die hard. After twenty years in Yorkshire
he passes as normal.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 2:24 am, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

A continuous light is not good enough because the number plate is
blurred when the car is moving at speed.
I need a flash, like this taken on my digital camera:
http://i30.tinypic.com/13zmid1.jpg

The lower car is moving at about 60 miles an hour and its number plate
is perfectly readable.

But I want a non-visible flash, i.e. infrared. And it needs to flash
about 10 times per second all night, every night.
Or I need a video camera with a shutter speed of a thousandth of a
second.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have an Oz customer who has an odd habit of shaking his shoes before he
puts them on. He says old habits die hard. After twenty years in Yorkshire
he passes as normal.

Adam

I was at a coal mine in Oz a couple of years back. Snake catcher was looking
worried as they lost a brown snake (fairly nasty). Apparantly the catcher
was showing a trainee how to bag a snake:

1) Catch snake with tongs thingy

2) drop snake in sack

3) spin sack around so as to close the opening

4) tie off sack

5) put sack down

She forgot step 4! ;-O

6) ****ed off and dizzy snake makes a bolt for freedom under the building.

I must admit, I shook my boots out, even though the area wasn't know for
evil spiders. More likely to get a kangaroo jumping in front of the car -
apparantly...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 9:29 am, Tim S wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon coughed up some electrons that declared:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

It has to be legal. "Man traps" are not legal.
But it's not my fault if something breaks when they stand on it.

How is NZ for poisonous spiders?

Don't think they have many (any?).

Oz, OTOH...

NZ has fierce-looking wetas. But they won't be seen in the dark so
wetas and spiders are no good. I could put up a fake wasps' nest in
case they check it out during the daytime.

I've found good idea, a large horizontal pipe along the top of the
fence. It has bearings so that it rotates and is impossible to stand
on or hold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F coughed up some electrons that declared:

wetas

8" long:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eta.750pix.jpg

Bugger that!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

A continuous light is not good enough because the number plate is
blurred when the car is moving at speed.
I need a flash, like this taken on my digital camera:
http://i30.tinypic.com/13zmid1.jpg

The lower car is moving at about 60 miles an hour and its number plate
is perfectly readable.

But I want a non-visible flash, i.e. infrared. And it needs to flash
about 10 times per second all night, every night.
Or I need a video camera with a shutter speed of a thousandth of a
second.

You're getting into the realm of expensive here

is it really worth it ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
Matty F coughed up some electrons that declared:

wetas

8" long:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eta.750pix.jpg

Bugger that!

You can try if you want to

me, I'd want one with decent tits on

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 10:52 am, geoff wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

I'm being paid handsomely for stopping criminals from vandalising the
expensive house next door. I have eight CCTV cameras that record 24
hours a day, or record when they detect motion. As a side benefit,
vandalising and tagging and robberies in my part of the street have
dropped to almost nothing. Some of the worst taggers in my city have
now stopped their tagging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 00:17, Matty F wrote:

I'm being paid handsomely for stopping criminals from vandalising the
expensive house next door.

Real nightvision rig. www.abex.co.uk

Also check out the legality of black powder alarm mines. Although you
have to be careful about just how they're deployed, you can still use
them in some situations.

Paintballer's paint mines are fun too, although they're also legally
doubtful owing to the "noxious fluid" issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
After publicity about a number of vandals and taggers caught because
of hidden CCTV cameras that I have installed in the neighbourhood, I
decided to put up a rather obvious CCTV camera (fake) complete with
flashing red light.
Someone recently went to a lot of trouble to pinch the fake camera.
The theft and their car was recorded on three of the real cameras. Not
quite good enough to identify them but I'm working on a new camera
that should capture rego numbers.
I don't want them to pinch or damage the real cameras.

I'd like to put up another fake camera. Does anyone have bright ideas
on something amusing to put on the camera to give them a big fright
when they try to pinch it? A loud alarm perhaps. Some compound that
gets on their hands and can't be washed off for weeks? etc etc?

Some how coat the outside with hydrofluoric acid?

From the Haynes manual:

"Special hazards
Hydrofluoric acid
l This extremely corrosive acid is formed when certain types of
synthetic rubber, found in some O-rings, oil seals, fuel hoses etc, are
exposed to temperatures above 400°C. The rubber changes into a charred
or sticky substance containing the acid. Once formed, the acid remains
dangerous for years. If it gets onto the skin, it may be necessary to
amputate the limb concerned"

This is not a serious suggestion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 9:00 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 7 Sep, 00:17, Matty F wrote:

I'm being paid handsomely for stopping criminals from vandalising the
expensive house next door.

Real nightvision rig.www.abex.co.uk

Also check out the legality of black powder alarm mines. Although you
have to be careful about just how they're deployed, you can still use
them in some situations.

Paintballer's paint mines are fun too, although they're also legally
doubtful owing to the "noxious fluid" issue.

It occurs to me that it would be amusing to make a fake security
camera out of solid steel. They would be unable to get it off the 2
inch pipe that's 3 metres up in the air, or to break it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 00:17, Matty F wrote:

I'm being paid handsomely for stopping criminals from vandalising the
expensive house next door.

Real nightvision rig.www.abex.co.uk

Also check out the legality of black powder alarm mines. Although you
have to be careful about just how they're deployed, you can still use
them in some situations.

Paintballer's paint mines are fun too, although they're also legally
doubtful owing to the "noxious fluid" issue.

It occurs to me that it would be amusing to make a fake security
camera out of solid steel. They would be unable to get it off the 2
inch pipe that's 3 metres up in the air, or to break it.

Or when they unbolt the camera it's so heavy they fall off the ladder with
it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 10:57 pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

It occurs to me that it would be amusing to make a fake security
camera out of solid steel. They would be unable to get it off the 2
inch pipe that's 3 metres up in the air, or to break it.

Or when they unbolt the camera it's so heavy they fall off the ladder with
it?

They are not on a ladder. They are standing on top of a 6 foot fence,
and the camera was 6 feet higher than the top of the fence, on a 2
inch steel pipe.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2qtbchy.jpg

The real camera is to the left. Nobody seems to notice it.
It's a building site with stuff sticking up everywhere.

Now if I put a plastic pipe loosely over the steel pipe so that it
rotates easily, and a steel camera on top, they will probably fall off
and not manage to get the camera. Perhaps I should put a real camera
up there to record the fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

They are not on a ladder. They are standing on top of a 6 foot fence,
and the camera was 6 feet higher than the top of the fence, on a 2
inch steel pipe.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2qtbchy.jpg

Its not 6ft higher is it? They can stand on the bit next to the pole making
it reachable by a dwarf.

Maybe you should just paint the pole with anti climb paint?

Greasing the horizontal bits might make them fall off however it might be
illegal.
However I could imagine you wanting to protect the pipe from corrosion and
putting a plastic sleeve on the pipe, it might be difficult to stop the
sleeve rotating though. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 12:49 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

They are not on a ladder. They are standing on top of a 6 foot fence,
and the camera was 6 feet higher than the top of the fence, on a 2
inch steel pipe.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2qtbchy.jpg

Its not 6ft higher is it? They can stand on the bit next to the pole making
it reachable by a dwarf.

Maybe you should just paint the pole with anti climb paint?

Greasing the horizontal bits might make them fall off however it might be
illegal.
However I could imagine you wanting to protect the pipe from corrosion and
putting a plastic sleeve on the pipe, it might be difficult to stop the
sleeve rotating though. ;-)

I will cut off the bit of wood next to the pole so they can't stand on
it. I'd like to put horizontal plastic pipes as well. If they can
stand on horizontal rotating pipes and hold on to a rotating vertical
pole while trying to take a camera made out of solid steel that is
bolted to the 2 inch steel pipe, I will be very surprised. Perhaps an
alarm going off in their ear would help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd go for filling it with paint
or that dye that they put in cashpoint machines
and a weakpoint so that it would fall on anyone messing with it,
but that would probably be you when you next go to adjust it

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Matty F wrote:
I'd like to scare them a lot. I'm thinking of a loud alarm plus a
number of devices like rat traps. Purely to catch rats of course Your
Honour!

Anti-vandal paint on the pole seems like the obvious answer.
Battery, loud alarm, tilt switch, in the dummy camera.
A much slimmer pole.
A big dog.
Strobe lights are pretty disconcerting.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
It occurs to me that it would be amusing to make a fake security
camera out of solid steel. They would be unable to get it off the 2
inch pipe that's 3 metres up in the air, or to break it.

Cool Hand Luke occurs to me.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

A continuous light is not good enough because the number plate is
blurred when the car is moving at speed.
I need a flash, like this taken on my digital camera:
http://i30.tinypic.com/13zmid1.jpg

The lower car is moving at about 60 miles an hour and its number plate
is perfectly readable.

But I want a non-visible flash, i.e. infrared. And it needs to flash
about 10 times per second all night, every night.
Or I need a video camera with a shutter speed of a thousandth of a
second.

Or whatever technology they use for average speed cameras. they are about
the only cameras I can think of that read number plates without slowing the
vehicles down first.

Colin Bignell