Jet

Default Night Vision security cameras

Hi all

I want to upgrade the security camera system at my mums place. (She lives
"in the middle of nowhere" and won't move.)

She currently has two estrenally mounted b&w cameras and a switching box(?)
linked thru to the telly / video. It's supposed to beep and start recording
when it detects movement. Ok, thats fine but the system is about 8 yrs old
and the cameras seem to have lost definition and the whole system is
pernicketty to say the least.

I am looking for a system that provides the following:

4 cameras (initially and expansion room) (prolly b&w again)
good IR night vision and resolution
auto sensing and auto recording
DIY-able )

I am googling like crazy and can find all sorts of stuff, but as usual,
would rather go on a recommendation from the assembled if at all poss

Anyone been down this road recently / offer some pointers?

tia

--
Jet

(actually, my mum lives in a house, down a country lane, no streetlights,
and a recent abundance of vandalising yobs(( )

Harry Bloomfield

on 03/04/2004, Jet supposed :
4 cameras (initially and expansion room) (prolly b&w again)
good IR night vision and resolution
auto sensing and auto recording
DIY-able )

Just in case you do not already know, IR will need some light to be
able to see. Ordinary lights will work perfectly well, IR lights will
illuminate an area invisibly.

The IR cameras with motion detection include a PIR sensor, the same as
is used to trigger security lights.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Harry Bloomfield

Jet has brought this to us :
She currently has two estrenally mounted b&w cameras and a switching box(?)
linked thru to the telly / video. It's supposed to beep and start recording
when it detects movement. Ok, thats fine but the system is about 8 yrs old
and the cameras seem to have lost definition and the whole system is
pernicketty to say the least.

They might just need a good cleaning of the lenses and sensor.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Peter Crosland

Try this!

http://www.y3kcctv.co.uk/

Ian Stirling

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 03/04/2004, Jet supposed :
4 cameras (initially and expansion room) (prolly b&w again)
good IR night vision and resolution
auto sensing and auto recording
DIY-able )

Just in case you do not already know, IR will need some light to be
able to see. Ordinary lights will work perfectly well, IR lights will
illuminate an area invisibly.

Generally not completely invisibly.
The source is often visible as a crimson glow.
Pity thermal IR cameras are not yet cheap.

Harry Bloomfield

Ian Stirling submitted this idea :
Just in case you do not already know, IR will need some light to be
able to see. Ordinary lights will work perfectly well, IR lights will
illuminate an area invisibly.

Generally not completely invisibly.

Well not quite invisibly if we are talking about IR filament lamps, but
you would need to be on the look out for IR lights, to notice them. The
alternative to filament lamps is IR diodes (as used in TV remotes), the
output of which is completely invisible to the eye. These work well to
illuminate at shorter ranges. Even the glow from a cigarette is enough
to illuminate someones face.

The source is often visible as a crimson glow.
Pity thermal IR cameras are not yet cheap.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Ian Stirling

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Ian Stirling submitted this idea :
Just in case you do not already know, IR will need some light to be
able to see. Ordinary lights will work perfectly well, IR lights will
illuminate an area invisibly.

Generally not completely invisibly.

Well not quite invisibly if we are talking about IR filament lamps, but
you would need to be on the look out for IR lights, to notice them. The
alternative to filament lamps is IR diodes (as used in TV remotes), the
output of which is completely invisible to the eye. These work well to
illuminate at shorter ranges. Even the glow from a cigarette is enough
to illuminate someones face.

Not completely invisible.
Much less visible.

Try looking into the LED of a remote in a dark room, with dark adapted eyes.
Many will glow noticably when activated.

The source is often visible as a crimson glow.
Pity thermal IR cameras are not yet cheap.

Jet

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Try this!

http://www.y3kcctv.co.uk/

I discovered this site the other day and think that this is what I'm looking
for:

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/proppircams.html#a96

Specifically the HCC314/316 - Panasonic Digital CCD

A few of these, control box and video would probably do the trick.

I like the idea of the night time IR as I don't particularly want to have
the place illuminated like Blackpool so wouldnt neccessarily need more
outside lighting than is already there.

They might just need a good cleaning of the lenses and sensor.

Been there, done that, but no discernable improvement in image quality.
Also the current set-up doesn't allow for more cameras than the two
existing, and due to some groundwork, at least four now required to
comfortably cover the areas in question.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice

--
Jet

John Rouse

In article , Jet
writes
Hi all

I want to upgrade the security camera system at my mums place. (She lives
"in the middle of nowhere" and won't move.)

I am looking for a system that provides the following:

4 cameras (initially and expansion room) (prolly b&w again)
good IR night vision and resolution
auto sensing and auto recording
DIY-able )

I have a four port capture card, and a number of different cameras.
Although someone on here scoffed at mounting cameras internally, I have
found it quite successful, and removing the cost of an external housing
allows a much more sophisticated camera to be mounted internally (in a
spare bedroom) and it is more easily adjusted if necessary. A small
boxer fan keeps condensation off the window.

There are also some good external bullet cameras with integral IR LEDs,
for example: http://www/cctvoutlet.co.uk/index1.htm

J.
--
John Rouse
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jet
writes
Specifically the HCC314/316 - Panasonic Digital CCD

"uses Blue Infra Red LEDs"

what are these, and why are they better?

--
dave @ stejonda

Jet

"John Rouse" wrote in message

snip

I have a four port capture card, and a number of different cameras.
Although someone on here scoffed at mounting cameras internally, I have
found it quite successful, and removing the cost of an external housing
allows a much more sophisticated camera to be mounted internally (in a
spare bedroom) and it is more easily adjusted if necessary. A small
boxer fan keeps condensation off the window.

There are also some good external bullet cameras with integral IR LEDs,
for example: http://www/cctvoutlet.co.uk/index1.htm

Hi John,
a dud response from that url up there... can you check it pls?

ta

--
Jet

Jet

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Jet
writes
Specifically the HCC314/316 - Panasonic Digital CCD

"uses Blue Infra Red LEDs"

what are these, and why are they better?

I dont know but if it means a decent / v.low light night image, then it will
do

--
Jet

T i m

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:25:40 +0100, "Jet"
wrote:

"John Rouse" wrote in message

snip

I have a four port capture card, and a number of different cameras.
Although someone on here scoffed at mounting cameras internally, I have
found it quite successful, and removing the cost of an external housing
allows a much more sophisticated camera to be mounted internally (in a
spare bedroom) and it is more easily adjusted if necessary. A small
boxer fan keeps condensation off the window.

There are also some good external bullet cameras with integral IR LEDs,
for example: http://www/cctvoutlet.co.uk/index1.htm

Hi John,
a dud response from that url up there... can you check it pls?

If you replace the / with a . you should be ok?

http://www.cctvoutlet.co.uk/index1.htm

It seems a bit slow though ..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I rarely *type* a URL because of the chance of a typo.