Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Traps for people who pinch security cameras

On Sep 7, 10:52 am, geoff wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

On Sep 7, 2:24 am, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Other problems are that the cars are usually moving at speed, and the
rego number is therefore blurred. The headlights and tail-lights are
also too bright and wash out the picture.
What I need is an invisible LED strobe that runs all night. I can't
find any so I suppose I'll have to make it.

Professional systems use IR floodlights.

A continuous light is not good enough because the number plate is
blurred when the car is moving at speed.
I need a flash, like this taken on my digital camera:
http://i30.tinypic.com/13zmid1.jpg

The lower car is moving at about 60 miles an hour and its number plate
is perfectly readable.

But I want a non-visible flash, i.e. infrared. And it needs to flash
about 10 times per second all night, every night.
Or I need a video camera with a shutter speed of a thousandth of a
second.

You're getting into the realm of expensive here

is it really worth it ?

I'm being paid handsomely for stopping criminals from vandalising the
expensive house next door. I have eight CCTV cameras that record 24
hours a day, or record when they detect motion. As a side benefit,
vandalising and tagging and robberies in my part of the street have
dropped to almost nothing. Some of the worst taggers in my city have
now stopped their tagging.