Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a specific type of mains switch.

I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message

I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

Would a "three position toggle switch" on a standard plate do the job. The
only other thing I can think of is a "three position rocker switch", which
can be got for modular switch plates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
"Donwill" wrote in message

I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

Would a "three position toggle switch" on a standard plate do the job.
The only other thing I can think of is a "three position rocker switch",
which can be got for modular switch plates.

If I'd read the post until I understood it properly, then I would also have
said that a "Single or Double Pole, Double Throw Switch" will also do the
job you want.

I get there, slowly, but I get there. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 6:36*pm, Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call *"press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in
standard domestic accessory style though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Donwill
wrote
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.

The term you want are probably

Rocker Switch
DPDT Double Pole Double Throw
SPDT Single Pole Double Throw
Centre Off
MOM or Momentary to get the spring action centre off

You may just find the switches which you could fit to a standard cheap
blanking plate.

A Google search for "rocker switch dpdt mom" will get you things like:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...oduleNo=98092&
C=SO&U=Strat15

http://eg.rs-online.com/web/search/s...?method=getPro
duct&R=5332964

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 6:36 pm, Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in
standard domestic accessory style though.

NT

Try finding the type of switch used to lower projection (home cinema
screens) Try an Audio Video installer

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Cho...tch&id=2627696

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 6:36 pm, Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

centre off, momentary action. I'm doubtful you'll find them in
standard domestic accessory style though.

Seen on a forum

Electric projector screen switch

I have seen proper three way switches at Home Depot as well (momentary on)
they are spring loaded so they only give power when pressed up or down
otherwise they stay in the center position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

Your best bet for a fuller flavour:

http://www.letsautomate.com/11471.cfm

You will need:

1 off K3631 WHI Cover plate
1 off K3701 Grid
1 off K4900 WHI Switch

Note: The switch is rated 250V AC 10A

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

momentary action, or centre biased - or similar combinations of words
would make good search terms.

I'm sure I've seen such things on conventional mains wiring faceplates
- but very rarely.

Actually - I've found what you want in the modular MK Logic range:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4900.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John formulated the question :
Try finding the type of switch used to lower projection (home cinema screens)
Try an Audio Video installer

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Cho...tch&id=2627696

and/or a wired garage door control. There are always a few on ebay.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact. (change
over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.

Fleeting or non latching. Basically the same as a car electric window
switch?

I'd be surprised if you can get one already in a standard plate easily -
but you could buy the switch itself from RS components etc and fit it to a
blank plate of your choice.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Do you know, I have been beating my brains out all night, thinking of
where I have had and used that sort of switch all night. Obvious, isn't it?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Fleeting or non latching. Basically the same as a car electric window
switch?

I'd be surprised if you can get one already in a standard plate easily
- but you could buy the switch itself from RS components etc and fit
it to a blank plate of your choice.

Do you know, I have been beating my brains out all night, thinking of
where I have had and used that sort of switch all night. Obvious, isn't
it?

Other common use on some older cars was to operate an 'electric' aerial -
before these became largely automatic.

There's a fair range of this sort of switch available from car wiring
parts suppliers - but they only give its LV DC rating. I'd guess many
would be happy with mains.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I'm not sure what it's called but I will try and describe it's
description & function .

A standard approx 85mm square white plastic surround, to screw into a
standard wall box.
Has a 3 position switch, centre off, momentary action, what I would
call "press to make, release to break".
Press up to make a contact, press down to make another contact.
(change over) Spring release to centre off position.
Or possibly two buttons mechanicaly connected.
This is required to manualy open and close a motorised vent.

It's difficult to search without a name for this type of switch.
Cheers
Don

Many thanks for all the info, you can always rely on good old uk.d-i-y.
Have now ordered from TLC.
Cheers
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd be surprised if you can get one already in a standard plate easily

We have one controlling the lighting in a meeting room at work. Flicking
up toggles one light, flicking down toggles the other. No idea why they
decided to wire it like that, and it confuses the hell out of people.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete Verdon d wrote:
I'd be surprised if you can get one already in a standard plate easily

We have one controlling the lighting in a meeting room at work. Flicking
up toggles one light, flicking down toggles the other. No idea why they
decided to wire it like that, and it confuses the hell out of people.

Thinking on, I have seem 'normal' electrical ones like this. For dimmable
fluorescents. Press one way for up, one way for down. Used in conjunction
with a master switch for that area.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mains socket switch won't switch Peter Phillips UK diy 6 July 31st 08 09:05 AM
WTB: USB Mains switch Vortex UK diy 25 January 1st 08 10:15 PM
Specific type of tubing for Exacta fence rails? sailor Woodworking 3 September 27th 06 12:33 AM
Seek: UK 3-pin mains plug with on-off SWITCH Jon D UK diy 22 May 11th 06 03:55 PM
mains plug with thermostatic switch Ben UK diy 4 October 14th 04 07:38 PM