Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains socket switch won't switch

Hi. I connected up a new halogen lamp to a six-way socket array. A minute or
so later there was a phut, then, after a few seconds, the halogen lamp went
out. I tried to switch off the mains socket, but it seems to be stuck. So I
just pulled out the six-way socket array, and plugged it in somewhere else.
It's ok.

(The fuse cupboard looks normal. I don't think anything has tripped.)

So, what could have happened to the frozen switch? How can I fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 23:59, "Peter Phillips" pfphillips
wrote:
Hi. I connected up a new halogen lamp to a six-way socket array. A minute or
so later there was a phut, then, after a few seconds, the halogen lamp went
out. I tried to switch off the mains socket, but it seems to be stuck. So I
just pulled out the six-way socket array, and plugged it in somewhere else.
It's ok.

(The fuse cupboard looks normal. I don't think anything has tripped.)

So, what could have happened to the frozen switch? How can I fix it?

Thanks.

It wasn't an old crabtree - rounded edges and recessed switches - was
it? The switches on the earlier (i.e. early 70s) versions of those are
notoriously prone to failing under short circuit conditions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi. I connected up a new halogen lamp to a six-way socket array. A minute
or
so later there was a phut, then, after a few seconds, the halogen lamp
went
out. I tried to switch off the mains socket, but it seems to be stuck. So
just pulled out the six-way socket array, and plugged it in somewhere
else.
It's ok.

(The fuse cupboard looks normal. I don't think anything has tripped.)

So, what could have happened to the frozen switch? How can I fix it?

Thanks.

It wasn't an old crabtree - rounded edges and recessed switches - was
it? The switches on the earlier (i.e. early 70s) versions of those are
notoriously prone to failing under short circuit conditions.

It's a double wall-socket. The socket holes themselves are embedded in a
dark-brown plastic surround, shaped like upside down T's. These plastic
mounts are located in a (sort of pretentious) brass plate. The switches seem
to be made of gold-painted plastic. I've no idea of the make.

Thanks for the input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Is it a bit like this?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM3356GB.html

Or maybe this?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM3356EB.html

If so, then it's probably easier to just replace the socket, than trying to
repair it...

If you cant find a replacemnt the same as your ones, then you may be able to
move a socket that is normally hidden behind the TV/sofa etc. and put the
new, different one there.

Changing the socket it quite easy

IMPORTANT - Make sure the circuit is turned off at your consumer unit (Fuse
cupboard) before removing the old one, check the circuit is really off by
plugging somthing into the working socket, and make sure it is on before you
turn off the circuit in your consumer unit, then make sure it has actually
gone off after you have turned the circuit off.

Alternativly, just turn the main switch off in your consumer unit to turn
everything off, however, you should still test the socket before anf after,
in case someone has been creative with the wiring.

Once you are 100% the circuit if off, then just undo the two screws on the
front of the socket - if the socket is still stuck to the wall, just score
the joint between the wall and the socket with a sharp kniofe to relese it -
if you just pull it, you will probably damage the wall around the socket.

Once the socket if off, it should be connected with up to three sets of
wires in each of the three terminals on the back. (Normally it's just two
sets (Feed to/from the previous socket in the ring, and then the feed
to/from the next socket)

If you look at the new (or old) socket, you will see them marked

The red or brown wires go to L
The black or blue wires o to N
The green/yellow (or bare wires if the installer didn't bother to put on the
sleeving) go to E

Shout if you need further info!

Toby...

WTB: USB Mains switch Vortex UK diy 25 January 1st 08 10:15 PM
Mains hum 555 touch switch problem Midge Electronics 0 September 26th 07 08:59 AM
Socket & Switch 'Borders' The Medway Handyman UK diy 2 March 9th 07 10:22 AM
Seek: UK 3-pin mains plug with on-off SWITCH Jon D UK diy 22 May 11th 06 03:55 PM
socket and light switch heights Laurie UK diy 44 September 10th 03 10:01 PM