Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Jon D

Default Seek: UK 3-pin mains plug with on-off SWITCH

Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Thanks, Jon

--
xpost to relevant gps - max 4
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y

Jon D wrote:
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Thanks, Jon

MK used to make one many years ago, but I think it was discontinued
long ago.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Palindr˜»me

Jon D wrote:
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Nearest think I have seek is multiway adapters/extension leads/etc with
independent switches.

Or the radio link remote control socket adapters. Maplin does them -
Lidl/Aldi did a set very cheaply recently.

I modded one of the transmitters to work off a parallel port and the
computer can thus control 4 sockets (cheaper than X10 etc!). I use that
to switch on/ off laser printers/servers/etc when they aren't being
used. OK, yes you can do it by WOL packets (at least the servers) but
the servers are the wrong side of a firewall.

--
Sue

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Jason

Default UK 3-pin mains plug with on-off SWITCH

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

I haven't seen one of those since 1978 ;-)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Jon D wrote:
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

I've not seen that for a long time but two alternatives suggest themselves

(1) retrofit a switched 13A socket. This is the work of minutes only

(2) I bought a 3 way SWITCHED 13A adaptor from Woolworth's yesterday.

This has to be the easiest way to get most of what you want.

Thanks, Jon

--
xpost to relevant gps - max 4

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dorothy Bradbury

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

B&Q do / did them - large rocker on the top.
No idea if it comes up on www.diy.com - not much does.

However if this is high duty cycle I would...
o Replace unswitched wall socket with switched
---- bonding earth - sleeve gr/yellow from socket to metal backbox
o Replace trailing socket with surface mount flat grey metal type
---- surface mount flat grey backbox
---- surface mount flat grey switched socket
---- 20mm knockout fitted with IP68 cable-gland to flex cable
---- bonding earth - sleeve gr/yellow from socket to metal backbox
o Replace trailing socket with individually switched version
---- might be more expensive unless you need several power points
---- versions range from sockets-on-a-board to moulded-in switches

With a switched socket the plug provides some "knock off" protection,
the rocker-switch-plugs provide little protection re fingers, feet, etc.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Jon D
writes
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Funny you should ask

One of my employees brought one in to work the other day that he had
just bought on the internet, but we couldn't find the link again. I hope
he'll bring it in on Monday

--
geoff
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
John McLean

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Thanks, Jon

--
xpost to relevant gps - max 4

Here's one which may be acceptable, it's an RCD adaptor.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
John McLean

"John McLean" wrote in message

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Thanks, Jon

--
xpost to relevant gps - max 4

Here's one which may be acceptable, it's an RCD adaptor.

Or: -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...ame%3Dnull%26h
omeRef%3D

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Jon D

On 07 May 2006, wrote:

In message , Jon D
writes
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with
an on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been
able to track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like
that.

Funny you should ask

One of my employees brought one in to work the other day that he
had just bought on the internet, but we couldn't find the link
again. I hope he'll bring it in on Monday

Hey, that would be really useful.

TIA.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Tuppence

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

I can confirm that they are still sold. I bought a 13 Amp fused plug top
exactly as you describe at Homebase in Belfast last December.

Regards,
Tuppence

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
linker3000

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
[...]

I am convinced you are an AI application linked to an information database.

Just Sayin'
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Dorothy Bradbury

I am convinced you are an AI application linked to an information
database.

Electrical part of B&Q makes you look at everything to find anything :-)

Newey & Eyre trailing sockets now have Prescott-P-Approved tri-screws.
Just imagine if all the red tape that has been applied to people were
instead applied to those seeking positions of government... justice.
Unfortunately some would probably want a Risk Management first.
--
DB.
Whistles the Soprano's tune...

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

I am convinced you are an AI application linked to an information
database.

Electrical part of B&Q makes you look at everything to find anything :-)

Nah - plumbing sections worse... There you have to look *in* everything to
find anything ;-

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

I'm fairly sure I saw one in B&Q recently.

Christian.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Tuppence

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

Saw it at B & Q this morning.

13mp 3 pin plug with switch and neon indicator £2.46

Regards,
Tuppence

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Jon D
writes
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Here's the link I was on about

http://www.leelectrical.co.uk/

--
geoff
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
John McLean

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Thanks, Jon

--
xpost to relevant gps - max 4

Been in B and Q today, they have them for under 3 quid, Partmaster make,
come with rocker switch and neon.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John McLean
writes

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

Am sure I saw one a long time ago but since then I've never been able to
track one down.

BTW I don't want to use an inline torpedo switch or anything like that.

Been in B and Q today, they have them for under 3 quid, Partmaster make,
come with rocker switch and neon.

The ones I posted the link to were £1.95

--
geoff

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Chris Whelan

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

In article , Tuppence
wrote:

I can confirm that they are still sold. I bought a 13 Amp fused plug top
exactly as you describe at Homebase in Belfast last December.

Just the top isn't much use. Can you not buy the whole plug?

On the basis that you didn't add a smiley, I'm assuming your question to be
genuine.

Those working in the electrical industry often refer to a socket outlet as a
"plug"; by inference the thing that plugs in to this is known as a "plug
top". When Tuppence said "plug top", he meant the whole plug.

I've no idea for the reason for this confusion of terms, other than
historical. "Plugs" were certainly always called "plug tops" when I started
in the industry 40 years ago.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Alex Coleman

On 10 May 2006, John wrote:

Been in B and Q today, they have them for under 3 quid, Partmaster
make, come with rocker switch and neon.

Thanks mate. Well done.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
thoss

On Sun, 7 May 2006 Tuppence wrote:

"Jon D" wrote in message
Is it possible to get a regular UK 13 amp 3-pin mains plug but with an
on-off switch on it?

Maybe the plug would have a rocker switch or something like that.

I can confirm that they are still sold. I bought a 13 Amp fused plug top
exactly as you describe at Homebase in Belfast last December.

I've just checked in B&Q. They have the plugs. Also triple adapters
with all outlets switched.
--
Thoss

[To reply, replace * with . in Reply-To address]

How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v? Steve W Woodworking 32 April 28th 06 11:15 PM
Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 02:59 PM
mains time delay switch [email protected] UK diy 10 November 19th 05 09:35 AM
Re-Post for Wall Switch Harry Home Repair 1 July 27th 05 06:56 PM
Door-operated mains light switch BigWallop UK diy 5 September 15th 03 02:43 PM