Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WTB: USB Mains switch

I'd better explain:

I am looking for some kind of mains switch that I can use to automatically
power down computer peripherals that are unnecessary when my PC is
"sleeping".

For example I have a scanner, printer and powered USB hub, all of which (if
not manuallly turned off) have warm "wall warts"....and use expensive Watts
during the 20+ hours per day my PC sleeps.

My first thought was to build something using a relay
(http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SR504.html) and DIN rail bits and bobs
from TLC

.....BUT this must be a common requirement and somebody must have thought of
this before. Casual "Googling" has not turned up any commercial products.
It's the sort of thing that you might expect to be able to obtain from
MAPLIN...but their infuriatingly crappy search engine has turned up nothing
(as well as causing me anger issues).

Any suggestions?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Dec, 08:45, "Vortex" wrote:
[...]

Why not use a remote control socket, B&Q do them, and a 4 way
extension socket for the peripherals.
Trevor Smith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
[...]

How about this?
http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/EcoF...igentMains.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dee wrote:

How about this?
http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/EcoF...igentMains.htm

Looks like the answer. But the copywriter clearly has a problem with
logical thought - apparently "[t]his energy-efficient 6-way mains panel
even comes fully equipped with a power surge protector which can wreck
an entire system and prove very costly"

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:17:32 +0000, Andy Dee wrote:

Vortex wrote:
[...]

I wonder if it would be any use with a laptop ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex wrote:
[...]

I'd be slightly concerned about the power you can take from a USB outlet -
as they are electronically switched and not just straight off the PS rail.
Most PCs have a pretty meaty 12 volt rail - if you really want it switched
with the PC itself why not fit a socket for that to the case and drive a
relay off that? 12 volt coil high power relays are easy to come by.

I fitted a switched FCU on the wall close to the PC which switches a
socket which feeds the computers and peripherals so use that to power
everything down.

I tried one of those sensing multi-outlet strips but found it not 100%
reliable in operation. Perhaps they've improved them.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Vortex" writes:
I'd better explain:

I am looking for some kind of mains switch that I can use to automatically
power down computer peripherals that are unnecessary when my PC is
"sleeping".

For example I have a scanner, printer and powered USB hub, all of which (if
not manuallly turned off) have warm "wall warts"....and use expensive Watts
during the 20+ hours per day my PC sleeps.

I quite often build PC peripherals which I power from spare USB
ports rather than using extra wall-warts. It would be quite easy
to simply run a relay from the 5V USB power output. You shouldn't
draw more than 100mA, which means you should consider driving a
small relay which in turn drives a larger mains relay. You might
also have to adjust the BIOS to disable PC switchon from USB
devices, which might other keep them powered when the PC is off.

You should be able to drive the following relay directly:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?sku=SW02475
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?sku=SW02480

Use a reverse diode to absorb back EMF from the relay coil.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB Mains switch

You can buy a ready made 13amp strip socket (one of those multi outlet
things with a short flex and 13amp plug on the end) - which has one socket
where if current is drawn the rest of the sockets turn on and when no
current is drawn they are turned off. Use that socket for your PC and Robert
is your auntie.

"Vortex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:45:27 -0000, Vortex wrote:

I am looking for some kind of mains switch that I can use to
automatically power down computer peripherals that are unnecessary when
my PC is "sleeping".

Looked in Tesco? Ours had 'em before Christmas... They normally operate
with the controlling device being switched off but one assumes that below
a certain power level it will consider the controlling device to be "off".
What that power level is I don't know or if your sleeping PC will be above
it.

They are very common these days the DIY shed and PC stores all stock them
but finding the right google words is tricky...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:

But the copywriter clearly has a problem with logical thought -
apparently "[t]his energy-efficient 6-way mains panel even comes
fully equipped with a power surge protector which can wreck an entire
system and prove very costly"

Lovely! They also suffer from the all too common failure to understand
the difference between power and energy: "[...] and a USB hub on standby
wastes an average of 20 watts per hour, with some laser printers or
games consoles wasting a staggering 80 watts per hour"

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Pete Verdon wrote:

But the copywriter clearly has a problem with logical thought -
apparently "[t]his energy-efficient 6-way mains panel even comes
fully equipped with a power surge protector which can wreck an entire
system and prove very costly"

Lovely! They also suffer from the all too common failure to understand
the difference between power and energy: "[...] and a USB hub on standby
wastes an average of 20 watts per hour, with some laser printers or games
consoles wasting a staggering 80 watts per hour"

--
Andy

On paper that looks like just the ticket....but I agree the copywriting is
shocking.

Just found this alternative:

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...-plug-dsk-105/

These guys do a special one for laptops as well.

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Pete Verdon wrote:

But the copywriter clearly has a problem with logical thought -
apparently "[t]his energy-efficient 6-way mains panel even comes
fully equipped with a power surge protector which can wreck an entire
system and prove very costly"

Lovely! They also suffer from the all too common failure to understand
the difference between power and energy: "[...] and a USB hub on standby
wastes an average of 20 watts per hour, with some laser printers or games
consoles wasting a staggering 80 watts per hour"

--
Andy

On paper that looks like just the ticket....but I agree the copywriting is
shocking.

Just found this alternative:

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...-plug-dsk-105/

These guys do a special one for laptops as well.

david

better still:

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/pro...ns-plug-panel/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Vortex" writes:
[...]

I have found that my PC still powers the USB port even though it is shut
down - obviously designed to enable the PC to be awoken by a remote
device - you might find that the relay was always up!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:45:27 -0000, Vortex wrote:

I am looking for some kind of mains switch that I can use to
automatically power down computer peripherals that are unnecessary
when my PC is "sleeping".

Looked in Tesco? Ours had 'em before Christmas... They normally
operate with the controlling device being switched off but one
assumes that below a certain power level it will consider the
controlling device to be "off". What that power level is I don't know
or if your sleeping PC will be above it.

They are very common these days the DIY shed and PC stores all stock
them but finding the right google words is tricky...

Try this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...nu=y&doy=31m12

[The magic search word on the Maplin site is "intelligent"]

They also have a smaller version which looks like a multi-way adaptor, with
integral 13A plug.

I have a couple of 6-way Intelligent Extension Leads (no surge protection -
no longer available) which turn off the peripherals on my 2 computers quite
happily. Whether they would respond to a computer which is simply
"sleeping", I don't know.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:

"Vortex" wrote in message

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Pete Verdon wrote:

[...]

Both of these are also available at Maplins (see my other post) - but yours
are cheaper, unless you live near to a Maplins branch and can thus avoid
paying for postage.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are very common these days the DIY shed and PC stores all stock
them but finding the right google words is tricky...

Try this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...nu=y&doy=31m12

[The magic search word on the Maplin site is "intelligent"]

They also have a smaller version which looks like a multi-way adaptor,
with integral 13A plug.

I have a couple of 6-way Intelligent Extension Leads (no surge
protection - no longer available) which turn off the peripherals on my 2
computers quite happily. Whether they would respond to a computer which is
simply "sleeping", I don't know.
--
Cheers,
Roger
______

Well spotted!

AND local Maplin has one. If it's still there tomorrow I may well go and
buy it!

Will report on it's efficacy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Vortex" writes:
[...]

As I said, check for the BIOS setting. Also check all the USB
ports as it's sometimes only one of two with continuous power.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I have a couple of 6-way Intelligent Extension Leads (no surge
protection - no longer available) which turn off the peripherals on my
2 computers quite happily. Whether they would respond to a computer
which is simply "sleeping", I don't know.

The one I have is adjustable for the switching load so should be able to
be set for the quiescent current draw. Except it's not reliable enough.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

(snip ...)

Try this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...nu=y&doy=31m12

[The magic search word on the Maplin site is "intelligent"]

Intelligent? Maplins? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

(snip ...)

Try this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...nu=y&doy=31m12

[The magic search word on the Maplin site is "intelligent"]

Intelligent? Maplins? ;-)

Quite! g

It doesn't apply to them though, but to the device. I spent ages trying to
find it on the Maplin site - trying various options with "smart" and "mains
extension" etc. - and in the end I had to dig out my 3 1/2 year-old invoice
(too old to still be in my on-line order history!) to find out what the
bl**dy thing was called, and there it was - "Intelligent Ext lead" - BINGO!!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

==================================
Depending on how you use your computer you might find it easier and
cheaper to use a separate trailing lead with individually switched sockets
for your peripherals - e.g. :

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/image/2m-4...extension-lead

- but also available from Woolworths and other places.

If you don't like trailing leads consider 'Master plugs' from B&Q which
have three individually switched outlets. :

www.masterplug.com

Neither of the above is automatic but if you only use a printer / scanner
/ speakers intermittently then there is no need to switch on *any*
peripherals until actually needed and can be switched on / off completely
independently of the computer.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:26:53 -0000, Vortex wrote:

AND local Maplin has one. If it's still there tomorrow I may well go
and buy it!

On New Years Day?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Vortex" wrote in message
I'd better explain:

I am looking for some kind of mains switch that I can use to automatically
power down computer peripherals that are unnecessary when my PC is
"sleeping".

These are also useful when using circular saws, power sanders and similar
tools. Where the tool has a facility for attaching a vacuum cleaner hose to
remove dust, shavings etc, the 'intelligent' socket can be used to switch on
the vacuum cleaner only when the power tool itself is in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

According to http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx? they won't be open!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:16:10 -0000, OG wrote:

These are also useful when using circular saws, power sanders and
similar tools. Where the tool has a facility for attaching a vacuum
cleaner hose to remove dust, shavings etc,

The monitored socket or the switched ones don't object to a rather large
inductive loads? Is there a delay between the controling device being
switched off and the switched sockets going off, that is useful in the
power tool/vac operation to clear the dust or WHY that is in the pipe.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail