Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lithofin type things

Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

ta, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
NT wrote:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

A wipe with Domestos?

Mould is caused by a fungus which needs to be killed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

ta, NT

Quickly wipe the shower dry after you've used it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

A wipe with Domestos?

Mould is caused by a fungus which needs to be killed.

True, but the protector stops the grout discolouring and also makes it a
little less absorbent. Makes it harder for the fungus to get established.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

Tile grout won't grow mold.
You need to wash off whatever has stuck to it,
which is what the mold is growing on, e.g. soap scum.
(If you use liquid soap rather than bars of soap,
you won't get soap scum in the first place.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 4:46*pm, John Rumm wrote:
NT wrote:

Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)

Yes, I was looking for alternatives really, if possible something
solvent free and lower cost. Does anyone know much about HG Super
Grout Protector?

I'm also vaguely tempted by the idea of using floor varnish, if anyone
knows if its workable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

Hi
Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)

Yes, I was looking for alternatives really, if possible something
solvent free and lower cost. Does anyone know much about HG Super
Grout Protector?

I'm also vaguely tempted by the idea of using floor varnish, if anyone
knows if its workable.

NT

Topps Tiles do this product:-

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod131...tor-500ML.html

Cheaper and easier to come by than Lithofin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

Hi
Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?
"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)

Yes, I was looking for alternatives really, if possible something
solvent free and lower cost. Does anyone know much about HG Super
Grout Protector?

I'm also vaguely tempted by the idea of using floor varnish, if anyone
knows if its workable.

NT

Topps Tiles do this product:-

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod131...rotector-500ML....

Cheaper and easier to come by than Lithofin.

Thanks for that one. I still dont like the price though for a job that
wouldnt normally get any such additional work. Is there any type of
floor varnish that can withstand near constant wetness (its for a well
used shower)?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

Hi
Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?
"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)
Yes, I was looking for alternatives really, if possible something
solvent free and lower cost. Does anyone know much about HG Super
Grout Protector?
I'm also vaguely tempted by the idea of using floor varnish, if anyone
knows if its workable.
NT

Topps Tiles do this product:-

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod131...rotector-500ML....

Cheaper and easier to come by than Lithofin.

Thanks for that one. I still dont like the price though for a job that
wouldnt normally get any such additional work. Is there any type of
floor varnish that can withstand near constant wetness (its for a well
used shower)?

There probably are, but unlike the purpose made products they will alter
the appearance of the grout - either in colour or lustre.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

[...]

yes, I dont mind that. If I knew which varnish type would do it I'd
use it. But I dont.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

I would guess am exterior or "yacht" polyurethane satin finish would be
your best bet since that is designed for situations in continuous
immersion. Thin it a bit to allow absorption and penetration into the
grout. Can't see the cost being that much different to the bespoke
products though, since the varnish is not cheap either.

What area of tiling do you need to do?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

Its a communal shower, so approaches like wiping it down after use
will never fly.

Good point about yacht varnish. Lithofin is in the region of £15 per
500ml, last time I looked at varnish it was around 1/2 to 1/3 that.
Cheers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

The 500ml will probably do something like 40 - 50m^2 of tiles mind you.
I have still only used about a 1/3rd of the bottle I bought.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

Interesting, that's far more than the destructions say. Cheers

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

I did two coats on 15m^2 of tiles - they were mid sized - about 6x4"
IIRC...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

It seems Lithofin and HG are both volatile solvent based, ruling them
out. Will look into yacht varnish and experiment. Cheers,

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

It seems Lithofin and HG are both volatile solvent based, ruling them
out. Will look into yacht varnish and experiment. Cheers,

Errm yacht varnish is solvent based. Indeed all paint/varnish is based
on a solvent even if that solvent should happen to be water. But the
solvent used in yacht varnish is a volatile organic solvent which I
suspect is what you're trying to avoid (I have no idea why, other than
middle-class trendiness/desire to **** about and troll).

Yacht varnishing ceramic tiles could be about the most stupid trick
pulled by anyone.

The rubbish sold in DIY sheds as "yacht varnish" isn't suitable for
continuous immersion. It's not even proper yacht varnish. If you want
something that can be immersed continuously then you need a two-pack
polyurethane varnish you'll also have to thoroughly degrease the surface
that you are varnishing, probably with acetone a volatile organic
solvent, and even then I don't hold out much hope of it working.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 4:47*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:

The rubbish sold in DIY sheds as "yacht varnish" isn't suitable for
continuous immersion. It's not even proper yacht varnish. If you want
something that can be immersed continuously then you need a two-pack
polyurethane varnish

The app won't see continuous immersion, as explained further up the
thread.

As for the rest...

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

As for the rest...

I'll re-do it in terms you can understand if you let me know your
current reading level. Is it equivalent to a four year old or a five
year old? And of course which species?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

Not convinced the the lithofin is - I don't recall it smelling
particularly or evaporating fast etc. I will check the bottle later and
let you know.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

I just dug up the msds for Lithofin, and sure enough its 15% IPA and
water based, and that'll do nicely. Thanks

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug 2009 18:10:02 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
NT writes:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

Tile grout won't grow mold.
You need to wash off whatever has stuck to it,
which is what the mold is growing on, e.g. soap scum.
(If you use liquid soap rather than bars of soap,
you won't get soap scum in the first place.)

And using a squeegee will discourage the humidity from staying high.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

The rubbish sold in DIY sheds as "yacht varnish" isn't suitable for
continuous immersion. It's not even proper yacht varnish.

What about International Yacht Varnish, as sold in B&Q? Genuine question
- I know of International as a pukka manufacturer of marine paint,
although not having a boat myself I don't know any of their individual
products.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon d wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

The rubbish sold in DIY sheds as "yacht varnish" isn't suitable for
continuous immersion. It's not even proper yacht varnish.

What about International Yacht Varnish, as sold in B&Q? Genuine question
- I know of International as a pukka manufacturer of marine paint,
although not having a boat myself I don't know any of their individual
products.

If it's a two-pack varnish then it's yacht varnish, usually sold as two
tins one about the size of a tin of tuna strapped to the top of a 1
litre tin. Just before use you tip the small tin into the big tin and
mix thoroughly.

If it's a one pack varnish then it's not real yach varnish, just a good
quality exterior varnish if it's sold under the International brand.
Flag are good as well in my experience. I've used Flag antifouling for
years and I use Flag primer and undercoat when I'm decorating at home.
Their aluminium primer is very good for resinous/knotted wood it seems
to stop the resin bleeding through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT writes:
Hi

Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?

Tile grout won't grow mold.
You need to wash off whatever has stuck to it,
which is what the mold is growing on, e.g. soap scum.
(If you use liquid soap rather than bars of soap,
you won't get soap scum in the first place.)

And using a squeegee will discourage the humidity from staying high.

The after show sprays also do that. They are mainly a surfacant to
cause the water to run off quickly, and sometimes a tiny amount of
descaler to prevent scale/scum being left behind. Whilst they will
keep a shower clean, they aren't powerful enough (nor intended) for
cleaning a shower once it's got filthy.

--
Andrew Gabriel