Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Lithofin type things

Pete Verdon d wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

The rubbish sold in DIY sheds as "yacht varnish" isn't suitable for
continuous immersion. It's not even proper yacht varnish.

What about International Yacht Varnish, as sold in B&Q? Genuine question
- I know of International as a pukka manufacturer of marine paint,
although not having a boat myself I don't know any of their individual
products.

If it's a two-pack varnish then it's yacht varnish, usually sold as two
tins one about the size of a tin of tuna strapped to the top of a 1
litre tin. Just before use you tip the small tin into the big tin and
mix thoroughly.

If it's a one pack varnish then it's not real yach varnish, just a good
quality exterior varnish if it's sold under the International brand.
Flag are good as well in my experience. I've used Flag antifouling for
years and I use Flag primer and undercoat when I'm decorating at home.
Their aluminium primer is very good for resinous/knotted wood it seems
to stop the resin bleeding through.