TheScullster

Default Lithofin Stainstop - Seal the Grout?

Hi all

A few weeks back I was looking into sealer for marble tiles - "Marble Mosaic
Tiles - Sealing and Grouting Advice".

I was recommended to use Lithofin products for sealing the marble. I am now
on the point of applying this sealer and wondered whether I should be using
it on the grout also. The Lithofin guy recommended MN Stain Stop for the
marble (I sent him a sample).
I have ordered BAL Microflex grout on the advice of BAL technicals which has
some anti bacterial properties.

For those who have already used Lithofin stuff - Andy Hall and Grunff - did
you also seal all grouting in the bathroom with the Lithofin as well as the
marble tiles?

I have majority ceramic tiles, with the marble mosaics forming vertical and
horizontal "borders".
Can I apply Stain Stop to the grout between the ceramic tiles as well, or
will it damage these?
There is some disclaimer on the tin warning not to let the Stain Stop
contact polished surfaces! My tiles are more of a matt finish.

Also on the Stainstop tin there is a note recommending that the sealer is
used without delay once it has been opened.
Assuming I put the lid back on between usages, what is the useful life - one
week, one month?

TIA

Phil

Andy Hall

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:41:06 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

A few weeks back I was looking into sealer for marble tiles - "Marble Mosaic
Tiles - Sealing and Grouting Advice".

I was recommended to use Lithofin products for sealing the marble. I am now
on the point of applying this sealer and wondered whether I should be using
it on the grout also. The Lithofin guy recommended MN Stain Stop for the
marble (I sent him a sample).
I have ordered BAL Microflex grout on the advice of BAL technicals which has
some anti bacterial properties.

For those who have already used Lithofin stuff - Andy Hall and Grunff - did
you also seal all grouting in the bathroom with the Lithofin as well as the
marble tiles?

I used it all over the tumbled marble tiles including the grout.
It did not create an obvious coating or alter the appearance
significantly from matt. I used two coats.

I have majority ceramic tiles, with the marble mosaics forming vertical and
horizontal "borders".
Can I apply Stain Stop to the grout between the ceramic tiles as well, or
will it damage these?
There is some disclaimer on the tin warning not to let the Stain Stop
contact polished surfaces! My tiles are more of a matt finish.

I would try it on some spares and see.

Also on the Stainstop tin there is a note recommending that the sealer is
used without delay once it has been opened.
Assuming I put the lid back on between usages, what is the useful life - one
week, one month?

I did a treatment on another area of tiles about three months after
the first area and no problems.

TIA

Phil

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

TheScullster wrote:

For those who have already used Lithofin stuff - Andy Hall and Grunff - did
you also seal all grouting in the bathroom with the Lithofin as well as the
marble tiles?

I bought it specifically to seal grout around normal glazed ceramic
tiles. It worked very well.
http://diystuff.co.uk/index.php?cat=5

I have majority ceramic tiles, with the marble mosaics forming vertical and
horizontal "borders".
Can I apply Stain Stop to the grout between the ceramic tiles as well, or
will it damage these?

I applied it generously with a brush, left for about 10 minues, then
wiped off. No damage.

Also on the Stainstop tin there is a note recommending that the sealer is
used without delay once it has been opened.
Assuming I put the lid back on between usages, what is the useful life - one
week, one month?

I would say a long time. It's just a silane or similar dissolved in an
organic solvent. I doubt much will happen to it in a few months.

--
Grunff
Christian McArdle

I was recommended to use Lithofin products for sealing the marble. I am
now
on the point of applying this sealer and wondered whether I should be

using
it on the grout also.

Absolutely. Sealing the grout is one of its main purposes.

I've just finished my kitchen floor (rough slate) and made pretty sure I'd
brushed it into all the grout crevices.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:54:18 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I was recommended to use Lithofin products for sealing the marble. I am

now
on the point of applying this sealer and wondered whether I should be

using
it on the grout also.

Absolutely. Sealing the grout is one of its main purposes.

I've just finished my kitchen floor (rough slate) and made pretty sure I'd
brushed it into all the grout crevices.

Christian.

How long did it take in the end?

Are you pleased with the results?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Grunff

Andy Hall wrote:

How long did it take in the end?

Are you pleased with the results?

We want photos! Closeups if possible please.

--
Grunff
Christian McArdle

How long did it take in the end?

It took me 3 and a half days. Appromixately (and somewhat overlapping):

1 day laying out and cutting.
1 day sticking and levelling.
1 day treating.
1/2 day grouting.

Are you pleased with the results?

I am very pleased. It has totally transformed the room. We're definitely
going to use more slate in the conservatory and probably for the patio and
the side passage. I suspect we would use the Sheng Li rather than Bamboo for
that, as it is wear rated 6 for outdoor use.

As I couldn't find my tile saw, I made all the cuts with one of those 6.99
angle grinders from screwfix (with diamond blade). However, it is far from a
smooth floor (I quite like this). As they were large 60x40 tiles, the
undulations mean that it is simply not possible to have smooth grout lines,
as each tile can vary in thickness greatly over their lengths, making it not
a case of simply adjusting the tiles at the corners. Despite these
undulations, the average thicknesses of the tiles was pretty much constant.

In the end, I just made sure the few particularly thin or thick tiles were
placed (or discarded) carefully and layed the others more by appearance than
attempting to match the undulations. A couple of corners were quite bad trip
hazards where the corner flared up from a lower average line, but after a
bit of experimenting on an offcut, I realised that I could just grind off
the raised corner with the angle grinder. This was extremely effective and
didn't leave obvious machining marks.

The tiles actually came up quite green under the colour enhancer. This looks
very nice, if not exactly what we saw in the showroom, which was quite
brown. Luckily, I anticipated this possibility, so didn't actually order the
granite worksurfaces (or any wall tiles/paint) in case the colour match
wouldn't have been good. I think we might choose a greenish grey one to
match, now, though.

Best of all, the washing machine fitted under the lintel with 2mm to spare!

I obviously judged the 3mm bed reasonably well, as I used precisely the
amount it said in the instructions, so I didn't need to open the 3rd bag,
which should do most of the conservatory when it arrives.

Christian.

TheScullster

Thanks once again fellas.

This bathroom is turning into a major project!
However with help from guys here I'm getting there (unfortunately not much
quicker than British Rail though!)

Phil