Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Lithofin type things

NT wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:00 pm, John Rumm wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:06 am, John Rumm wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 16, 1:22 pm, Dave Osborne wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 15, 4:46 pm, John Rumm wrote:
NT wrote:
Hi
Looking for a relatively low cost way to keep tile grout mould-free
and clean. Any recommendations?
"Lithofin Grout Protector" ;-)
Yes, I was looking for alternatives really, if possible something
solvent free and lower cost. Does anyone know much about HG Super
Grout Protector?
I'm also vaguely tempted by the idea of using floor varnish, if anyone
knows if its workable.
NT
Topps Tiles do this product:-
http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod131...rotector-500ML....
Cheaper and easier to come by than Lithofin.
Thanks for that one. I still dont like the price though for a job that
wouldnt normally get any such additional work. Is there any type of
floor varnish that can withstand near constant wetness (its for a well
used shower)?
There probably are, but unlike the purpose made products they will alter
the appearance of the grout - either in colour or lustre.
yes, I dont mind that. If I knew which varnish type would do it I'd
use it. But I dont.

I would guess am exterior or "yacht" polyurethane satin finish would be
your best bet since that is designed for situations in continuous
immersion. Thin it a bit to allow absorption and penetration into the
grout. Can't see the cost being that much different to the bespoke
products though, since the varnish is not cheap either.

What area of tiling do you need to do?

Its a communal shower, so approaches like wiping it down after use
will never fly.

Good point about yacht varnish. Lithofin is in the region of £15 per
500ml, last time I looked at varnish it was around 1/2 to 1/3 that.
Cheers.

The 500ml will probably do something like 40 - 50m^2 of tiles mind you.
I have still only used about a 1/3rd of the bottle I bought.

--
Cheers,

John.