Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neat Wiring

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That is excellent. I wish I could say that I've been that tidy and
thoughtful!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are very lucky to have had someone properly label stuff.

The most difficult bit to neatly wire is a CU full of RCBO.
It should really have cable markers on every final circuit.
http://tinypic.com/r/2953f3k/3

Failed RCD forced downgrade to 12-way in nov04, quickly replaced by 16-
way Jan05 (yes, receipted) because no shed heating & uninsulated
floors in january do not go together. Only final circuit added was to
split smoke off the lighting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Nice job and not too hard to do with some time & patience.
It is worth leaving some slack to enable future
alterations/repairs/replacement.
Especially for hard to reach or inaccessible fittings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 12:59*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. *Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. *It dates
from 1992-ish. *Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. *But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Looks DIY to me.
Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:14:49 -0700 (PDT)
NT wrote:

On Aug 15, 12:59Â*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Â*Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. Â*It dates
from 1992-ish. Â*Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. Â*But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

Sure, go right ahead. I hereby place the copyright in the Public
Domain.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in
the loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual
rat's nest in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to
find. It dates from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail
to impress, but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That is excellent. I wish I could say that I've been that tidy and
thoughtful!

An electrician didn't do that - too neat

--
---
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Looks DIY to me.
Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

Yup...

If one were being critical; a bit of sleeving on the black switch
returns and fan neutral would have been nice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:59 pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

It's great to see a properly dressed box. Not many people do it like that
anymore. Hat's off to the installer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's
nest in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It
dates from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Looks DIY to me.
Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

They should all be done like that, and don't take any time at all if the
tricks are punched in to the trainee frrom the start. Well.........They
should still be punched into the apprentice...........They were when I was.
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:59*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. *Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. *It dates
from 1992-ish. *Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. *But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

Sure, go right ahead. *I hereby place the copyright in the Public
Domain.

R.

*signature.asc
1KViewDownload

lovely, cheers

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That is excellent. I wish I could say that I've been that tidy and
thoughtful!

Nice - this was at Harry Beck's house, I'd guess?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:10:32 UTC, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Clot wrote:
TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That is excellent. I wish I could say that I've been that tidy and
thoughtful!

Nice - this was at Harry Beck's house, I'd guess?

LOL! I wonder what the underground SWA was like...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:59 pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

R.

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

Sure, go right ahead. I hereby place the copyright in the Public
Domain.

R.

signature.asc
1KViewDownload

lovely, cheers

He said

Sure, go right ahead. I hereby place the copyright in the Public
Domain.

But I had to look at the raw source code to read it for some reason.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:12:29 GMT
"BigWallop" wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's
nest in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It
dates from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Looks DIY to me.
Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

They should all be done like that, and don't take any time at all if the
tricks are punched in to the trainee frrom the start. Well.........They
should still be punched into the apprentice...........They were when I was.
:-)

Knowing the previous owners by repute, I pretty sure they didn't DIY
it, but there are other non-prof pointers, some of the plumbing was
very amateurish. It could have been an apprentice's test job, of course.
"Just once in your life do it right, you useless lummock!" "OK, I'll
show you..." :-)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember TheOldFellow
saying something like:

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress,
but... "Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Possibly ex-services or aircraft spark, perhaps an apprentice before
getting corrupted by sloppy work practices. Sure as **** wasn't somebody
who was getting paid a flat rate for the day/job.

It might even have been the previous owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:59:24 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress, but...
"Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That's how we were trained to do it *many* years ago, when I was a
student apprentice with Norweb. The training was at Lancaster College.

Of course, I've never wired like that since... :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:39:09 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

Yup...

It takes very little time to do things properly like that.

If one were being critical; a bit of sleeving on the black switch
returns and fan neutral would have been nice.

And there is space to have all the wires spread out a little more
instead of in the bundles. Curiously the earths appear to have been
done last as they are on top of everything else. I'd do them first as
they won't change if things need to be altered later, live, switched
live and neutrals will.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mick wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:59:24 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress, but...
"Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That's how we were trained to do it *many* years ago, when I was a
student apprentice with Norweb. The training was at Lancaster College.

Of course, I've never wired like that since... :-)

Tut Tut !!! Mick. You're not supposed to tell anyone that. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug 2009 19:04:06 GMT
mick wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:59:24 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the
loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest
in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates
from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress, but...
"Well done that man!"

http://bit.ly/exxSN

Now I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good
model for follow.

That's how we were trained to do it *many* years ago, when I was a
student apprentice with Norweb. The training was at Lancaster College.

Of course, I've never wired like that since... :-)

Interesting, I'm in Cumbria, I think Lancaster College was the nearest
Tech for the area. An apprentice test piece seems more likely. Of
course, it depends what *many* means...

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:40:57 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

snip
Tut Tut !!! Mick. You're not supposed to tell anyone that. lol

I'm not ashamed - I'm not (and never became) a site 'leccy! Nearest I got
was wiring a few forklift trucks, then I moved into design for a living &
put away the tools. :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seeing this reminds me that you lot might like to see this fairly neat job:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1...erWardrobe.jpg

The only thing that put me off is that it was in the back of the
wardrobe in our hotel room, exactly as you see it. Yes, the shelf isn't
screwed down. And you probably can't tell that it went CLONK loudly
every time the PIR turned the hallway lights on and off.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 9:28*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
Seeing this reminds me that you lot might like to see this fairly neat job:

How about this one;
http://thereifixedit.com/2009/07/23/...ur-conversion/
I haven't seen one of those Granada plugtops in years! There are a lot
of similar bodges on that site. enjoy!

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave Starling
saying something like:

How about this one;
http://thereifixedit.com/2009/07/23/...ur-conversion/
I haven't seen one of those Granada plugtops in years! There are a lot
of similar bodges on that site. enjoy!

At least he paid attention to having an insulation barrier between the
pins. Top man.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
Dave Starling wrote:

On Aug 17, 9:28Â*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
Seeing this reminds me that you lot might like to see this fairly neat job:

How about this one;
http://thereifixedit.com/2009/07/23/...ur-conversion/
I haven't seen one of those Granada plugtops in years! There are a lot
of similar bodges on that site. enjoy!

Dave

I knew there was a use for all those old keys, thanks for the tip!

R.

Another Neat Idea Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 10 August 1st 09 04:35 PM
Neat Little Cabinet Saw Mike Marlow Woodworking 8 December 3rd 05 01:07 PM
Neat tip from our plasterer [email protected] UK diy 2 July 14th 05 10:21 PM
Neat product Tony Mo Woodworking 12 October 21st 04 11:42 PM
A really neat test!!! Pete & sheri Metalworking 18 March 10th 04 08:49 PM