Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Sticking platerboard to plastered wall

In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all up
and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high (inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops for 8
miles.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can put
in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than plaster but at
least none would be wasted.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all up
and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high (inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted.

If you wasted all of it, what are we talking about, £5?
Hardly seems like a factor worth taking into account.

No DIY shops for 8
miles.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can put
in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than plaster but at
least none would be wasted.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

Need more detail about the state of the wall, but a reskim,
which doesn't need to have a good quality surface as you're
tiling it, would be much better.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all
up and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high
(inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops for
8 miles.

But still cheaper than plasterboard.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can
put in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than
plaster but at least none would be wasted.

There is a proper 'plaster' for fixing dry lining - which can take up any
irregularities. No Nails type stuff might not.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

You don't need a perfect finish to tile to - just one which is true and
square. And dry lining still needs skill to achieve this.
Personally I'd skim with one coat plaster - use a length of straight
timber to level it off. You could chisel out vertical grooves in the old
plaster every metre or so and fit battens to act as a guide. Pack them as
required off the wall with cardboard, etc. After you've plastered remove
them and fill with plaster.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

In the past I've used planed battens at the top and bottom of a wall. The
bottom was always going to have a skirting board, or in the OP's case his
units, so only the top needs dressing when the batten is removed. I've then
used a planed 3x2 to scrape the plaster to get it level. A little wasteful
in wood I know.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 8:20*am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all up
and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high (inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops for 8
miles.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can put
in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than plaster but at
least none would be wasted.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

Kindest regards,

Jim

As has been suggested, I'd just plaster it before tiling, but no need
for any sort of smooth finish, just run the trowel over the surface to
level it. A rough finish with pockets is fine.

NT

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

As it's only 18" high and you are doing yourself the plasterboard
route may be the most simplest and least messy, as you would only need
one sheet of 9mm. Fix the strips to the wall with dabs of plasterboard
adhesive, you can probably get a gun cartridge from Screwfix or
Toolstation. You won't need to skim it after, just tile over.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it
all up and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18"
high (inches).
The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops
for 8 miles.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I
can put in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than
plaster but at least none would be wasted.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

Kindest regards,

I completely replaced my bathroom some 18 months ago. The bathroom had two
breeze block walls and two plasterboard walls. By the time I had finished
removing the old tiles, there were big holes in the plasterboard, and large
areas of missing plaster on the breeze-block walls. I removed all the old
plasterboard and all the old plaster and replaced the lot with new
plasterboard. To fix the plasterboard to the breeze-block walls I used
Gyproc Dry-Wall Adhesive. It comes in paper sacks like cement and you just
add water to make a fairly thick mix. You then just stick a trowel in and
'throw' lumps of adhesive at the wall at spaced intervals. You then just
lift the plasterboard and press it against the lumps until it is level, both
vertically and horizontally. Dead easy - and cheap - to do. The adhesive was
surprisingly inexpensive - and a lot less than using loads of 'no more
nails' in a gun! It sets like iron!

Kev