Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Fredxx Fredxx is offline

Default Sticking platerboard to plastered wall

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya
Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all
up and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high
(inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders
supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops for
8 miles.

But still cheaper than plasterboard.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can
put in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than
plaster but at least none would be wasted.

There is a proper 'plaster' for fixing dry lining - which can take up any
irregularities. No Nails type stuff might not.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

You don't need a perfect finish to tile to - just one which is true and
square. And dry lining still needs skill to achieve this.
Personally I'd skim with one coat plaster - use a length of straight
timber to level it off. You could chisel out vertical grooves in the old
plaster every metre or so and fit battens to act as a guide. Pack them as
required off the wall with cardboard, etc. After you've plastered remove
them and fill with plaster.

In the past I've used planed battens at the top and bottom of a wall. The
bottom was always going to have a skirting board, or in the OP's case his
units, so only the top needs dressing when the batten is removed. I've then
used a planed 3x2 to scrape the plaster to get it level. A little wasteful
in wood I know.