Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing a crack in a plastered wall?

Hi

I have several walls that are just platser and then painted. One of them
has got a irregualar hairline crack about half the drop of the wall. As
it does not seem to be getting bigger, I thought about nows a good time
ot try and repair it as I am off this week. So, I thought, make the
crack a bit bigger say with a chisel indent. Fill with plaster, sand and
replace.

Any issues?

Also - is there a better filler solution to use that maybe harder?

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
Hi

I have several walls that are just platser and then painted. One of them
has got a irregualar hairline crack about half the drop of the wall. As
it does not seem to be getting bigger, I thought about nows a good time
ot try and repair it as I am off this week. So, I thought, make the
crack a bit bigger say with a chisel indent. Fill with plaster, sand and
replace.

Any issues?

Also - is there a better filler solution to use that maybe harder?

Scott

Scrape it out with a flat or triangular scraper. No more than 2 or 3 mm.
Fill with polyfilla or similar, slightly proud of surface. Sand using a
block. Done! This assumes no further movement.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 18:29, Scott wrote:
Hi

I have several walls that are just platser and then painted. One of them
has got a irregualar hairline crack about half the drop of the wall. As
it does not seem to be getting bigger, I thought about nows a good time
ot try and repair it as I am off this week. So, I thought, make the
crack a bit bigger say with a chisel indent. Fill with plaster, sand and
replace.

Any issues?

Also - is there a better filler solution to use that maybe harder?

Scott

If the wall is moving, it doesn't matter how hard it is, it will crack
again. You *could* try using acrylic filler from a cage, but you need
to smooth it off carefully with a wet filling knife before it goes
off. You can't sand it.

I have been using Red Devil OneTime filler - very lightweight, but
doesn't sink, so if you're skilled you can just paint over it when dry
without rubbing down or refilling.

Edward

Problem with plastered wall Mackem UK diy 2 July 29th 06 02:05 AM
Painting uneven plastered wall William Brown Home Repair 0 October 24th 05 04:01 PM
painting a new plastered wall tall-lass Home Repair 0 September 18th 05 01:01 AM
Repairing a plastered wall Dave UK diy 6 December 10th 04 05:16 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM