Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to hide a security camera?

I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?
A net of some kind over the lens hole?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223738
Red Alert153 Portable CCTV Video Recorder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220706
DIY SecurityCam153 CCTV Colour Video Camera with Tripod

thanks
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:
I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?
A net of some kind over the lens hole?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223738
Red Alert153 Portable CCTV Video Recorder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220706
DIY SecurityCam153 CCTV Colour Video Camera with Tripod

Without knowing the hallway, it's not easy for anyone else to
answer. You could perhaps fit a doorbell with the guts stripped
out to make room for it inside the case.

However, if the aim is covert security, you can't necessarily
do that. What you could do is hide the real camera, and fit
a dummy camera so people know they're under surveillance.
Position the dummy so that anyone tampering with it is in
good view of the real camera. Depending on the nature of the
area, you may need warning notices and to register with the DPR.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:
[...]

the hall is inside my house,
i am the only occupier,
so i can put it where i want cant i?
it wont overlook any public area.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:
[...]

Yes. It could have been a communal or public area from your
original post.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:59:00 +0100, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?

Inside something that people expect to find in a hall? As Andrew says
a door bell the camera is only a 1" cube so there should be room. An
alarm PIR box might be better as that should have some adjustment for
pointing direction which might make getting a decent view a bit
easier.

A plain hole for the optical part of the lens is required, looking at
the picture I'd say about 1/4" at the most. That might look a bit odd
in the middle of PIR lens though but maybe not in the body.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:59:00 +0100, george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?
A net of some kind over the lens hole?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223738
Red Alert153 Portable CCTV Video Recorder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220706
DIY SecurityCam153 CCTV Colour Video Camera with Tripod

People very rarely look above their sight-line (even in cop
shows, when they enter a house/room, guns out - they only ever
look from side to side, never upwards). You might find the
simplest solution would be to paint it the same colour as
the room's ceiling and mount it high up.
Ideally, it would be above the entrance but then all you'll get
is a view of the back of the baddie's head.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 9:59*am, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:
I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?

Thinking laterally, by the time it's been nicked, it will surely have
captured a really good close-up of the scrote's face as he reaches
towards it, a better picture than if he'd just scuttled round in the
distance. So maybe it's better to see the recording end of the set-up
is as unnickable as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?

A burglar won't steal a 30 quid security camera. They may give a blast of
spray paint if they see it, but steal it? No.

Best place to hide it? Big pot plant (Doesn't have to be real - The silk
ones look pretty nice).

Ting is, once they're in all they want is cash, jewellery, flat screen TVs,
gadgets ... If you really feel the need for a security cam then the local
plod should be aware that you feel under threat - Ex-wife? Druggy
offspring? Locals retards? Big locks, big ugly dog might work better.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "george (dicegeorge)"
writes
I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?
A net of some kind over the lens hole?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223738
Red Alert153 Portable CCTV Video Recorder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220706
DIY SecurityCam153 CCTV Colour Video Camera with Tripod

1/ - Big FRO sign saying "Do not steal this camera"

2/ discretely placed high up flower vase

3/ - Two cameras pointing at each other

4/ place it up high enough so that yon hoodie can't get at it

What's the point of it ?

Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript
youth ? - "thats him officer"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "george (dicegeorge)"
writes

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:
[...]

Why not be pro active rather than reactive ?

Why not install some sound bombs. I've just put 8 quad sound bombs in my
extension triggered by a PIR I have customised. Believe me, when they go
off, it hurts INSIDE your head, forget the ears. The idea is that the
burglar would just rather be anywhere else other than there.
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript
youth ? - "thats him officer"

Fuzzy??? It's 380 lines I'll have you know......... !

"380 TV lines for clear image resolution "

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "george (dicegeorge)"
writes
I've just bought a motion sensitive security camera from Maplins.
I want to have it monitoring a hallway which is constantly lit.
But how can I hide it so a burglar doesnt steal it?
A net of some kind over the lens hole?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=223738
Red Alert153 Portable CCTV Video Recorder

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220706
DIY SecurityCam153 CCTV Colour Video Camera with Tripod

1/ - Big FRO sign saying "Do not steal this camera"

2/ discretely placed high up flower vase

3/ - Two cameras pointing at each other

4/ place it up high enough so that yon hoodie can't get at it

What's the point of it ?

Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript
youth ? - "thats him officer"

Keith says Adrian nicked my generator
adrian says keith nicked it...

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , geoff writes
Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript youth
? - "thats him officer"

Fuzzy??? It's 380 lines I'll have you know......... !

"380 TV lines for clear image resolution "

Gawd, that's poor.
A vga web cam gives more lines.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , geoff
writes
Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript
youth ? - "thats him officer"

Fuzzy??? It's 380 lines I'll have you know......... !

"380 TV lines for clear image resolution "

Gawd, that's poor.
A vga web cam gives more lines.

Whoosh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 7:18 am, geoff wrote:

What's the point of it ?

Are you going to show the police a fuzzy video of some non-descript
youth ? - "thats him officer"

I caught a couple of robbers last night on three of my hidden video
cameras. From my description of the car they used, the police caught
up with them about 4 miles away. They had broken into a neighbour's
house and stolen a laptop and other items. All the stolen items were
recovered.
I have three videos of the entire incident.