Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

Default Need Help with Security Camera

These may or may not be the best newsgroups for this question. If
there is a better one, please advise me.

I bought a security camera to put in my barn. I presently have a
pregnant horse that I want to monitor, and there are other times I
want to watch a horse that is sick or something and not spend all my
time in the barn (especially in cold weather).

The camera is intended to transmit 400ft. It's made by 2.4ghz
Wisecomm brand. The instructions say it will transmit 400ft. in a
straight line with no obstructions. Well, there is one tree, but this
time of year there are no leaves, so I dont see that as a problem, and
I have moved the receiver unit in the house to different locations,
and put it by windows to eliminate walls, which are aluminum sided.
The windows are just glass and fiberglass screens.

The camera works fine when I plugged in both the receiver (camera) and
the transmitter inside the house, and I took it to the furthest
corners of the house and even took it outdoors using an extension
cord.

However, once I put it inside the barn, I do not get a signal on the
receiver inside the house. The barn is only about 250 ft. away, so
it's within the limits. Yet, when I took a portable tv and the
receiver into the barn, it worked in there. My thought is that it's
because the barn has steel siding, and the signal is not getting thru
the metal walls.

Can anyone think of any way to make this setup work? I know I can
return this camera and could buy one that needs a wire. They only
come with 50 ft of coax, so I'd have to buy another 200 ft. But then,
stringing all that wire thru the yard, and avoiding tree branches and
still keeping it high enough over the driveway so that farm machinery
can pass, would be a challenge in itself.

With that said, I got to thinking about plugging the transmitter
camera AND the receiver (in the barn) into the inputs of an old vcr (I
have several of them who eat tapes but the electronics still work).
Then I could run the output of the vcr to the house, but via coax, but
once again, I am back to stringing coax.

My next thought, is there some sort of transmitter that I could buy
that would transmit the output of the camera (both parts) via an
antenna on the barn roof, directly to my rooftop tv antenna on the
house? I recall years ago, they had these things that were called
"The Rabbit" or something like that, and they were supposed to
transmit a vcr to the whole house. So far that seems like the most
promising idea, but if I can even fond one of those things, will it
transmit the 250ft, or actually more like 280 to my antenna.

Does anyone have any other ideas how to do this. So far, everything
seems pretty complicated. I was concerned about the metal barn walls
posing a problem, but the store clerk insisted that the 2.4ghz signal
will go right thru any walls. So much for that......

Maybe there is an entire different camera system made for my needs,
and if I need to return this one and get something else, that is
another option, as long as the price is fairly reasonable. I paid
$130 for this one, and it works well without the barn walls.

Finally, the antenna from the camera (receiver) is not removable.
It's a built in rubber thing about 2 inches long and does not come off
the camera. Otherwise I'd run coax from the camera, and mount the
antenna on the roof of the barn. But it's not removable, so that's
out.

Yes, I did email to http://www.wisecomm.com.
But as seems to be the case with most companies these days, no one
returns a reply or they wait months to reply.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alvin

Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 4:33 am, wrote:
[...]

Try www.supercircuts.com they have wireless that go 10x as far

Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

The metal siding would cut down or stop the RF signal for sure.

Is it possible for you to run a Video wire from the barn to the house?
Yeah, I know you said the distance is 250 feet.

RG6 cable at 250 feet would probably work for video OK. And RG6 is weather
proof.
You would have to put video connectors on each end of the RG6 Cable.

Here is a camera that uses the power line to transmit the video.
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=5529

Another one: Works on a Mac computer.
http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...lineCamera.php

Here is a transmitter and receiver that works over the power line.
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/se...er-system.html

If you have a power line from the house to the barn, it might work. It may
not work if the barn is on a separate power meter.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

You may be able to run a single insulated wire from inside the barn to
outside the barn and this may carry the signal outside. Can be a small cheap
wire.

Or maybe wrap this wire around the antenna on the camera (does not need to
make contact), then run the wire to outside of the barn.

So signal "transfers" to wire wrapped around camera antenna, then wire is
run outside and this can then transmit the signal to your house.

If the wire is bare and is touching something like the metal on your barn,
it would "ground out" and not carry the transmission.

If there is a tree outside the barn, you could string the wire to the tree
up in the air for example.

Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I would guess that you need to get an antenna of a transmitter outside the metal
barn, on the house side. You could try some kind of separate transmitter if
there is no way to get the one you have out there. Run a cable from the camera
to the transmitter on the outside of the barn. There are a number of things like
"the rabbit" available these days, although you will need to verify the range.

Bob

Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 04:50:55 -0700, ransley
wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Alvin

Try www.supercircuts.com they have wireless that go 10x as far

Completely useless link to a spam site !!!!
Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

I bought a security camera to put in my barn. I presently have a
pregnant horse that I want to monitor, and there are other times I
want to watch a horse that is sick or something and not spend all my
time in the barn (especially in cold weather).

When dealing with the microwave band, you want to go for height and
place your antenna away from obstructions (both the receive and send
antennas)

You may already have enough power, but your existing cheap antennas
probably disperse the signal to much.. There are antennas available
that provide higher gain and more directional confinement of the
signal.

If you are in a lightning prone area, I would avoid hard copper cables
(fiber might be OK). Copper cables can be made safe, but you need to
consider lightning arrestors and grounding.
Posted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Several options.

Better forum.
http://www.cctvforum.com/index.php

Wireless Video Modulator.

http://www.google.com/products?q=wir...l =en&show=dd

Attach this to a video camera. I bought several used at flea market for
around $50.00 that work perfect.
http://www.bizrate.com/homesecurity/...start--10.html

Range extender
http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.co...ct.aspx?id=832