Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Perspex adhesive

I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.
Any ideas?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a small
acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of that
this day and age.
Any ideas?
Don

You should be able to get some suitable adhesive from your local sign shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.
Any ideas?
Don

Ask your local pharmacist for help. They may be able to get you a small
bottle. You do have to sign a legal document for it now-a-days, though, to
prevent you from using such chemicals in an illegal manner. But you should
be able to get it from the friendly chemists shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There's a model shop near me (Stoneleigh, Surrey) which sells small
bottles of plastic weld fluid, which sticks many types including
Perspex. You position the two bits you want to join together, and
apply this very thin liquid to the join so that it wicks into the gap.
It works well, and presumably is available in other parts of the
country. It says it contains Methyl Chloride. I didn't have to sign
anything.

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 3:20*pm, Donwill wrote:
I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.

ha, no. Its diy makable but I dont remember how. And not a great
choice. Can you really not find acetone?

NT

Any ideas?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop has brought this to us :
"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.
Any ideas?
Don

Ask your local pharmacist for help. They may be able to get you a small
bottle. You do have to sign a legal document for it now-a-days, though, to
prevent you from using such chemicals in an illegal manner. But you should
be able to get it from the friendly chemists shop.

Needing to solve a similar problem myself, I attempted to obtain some.
The chemists do not seem to stock it all and would have to get it in
specially and it is not available without prescription.

So I then looked for a alternatives and found http://bondrite.co.uk/

To weld acrylic (which is also Perspex) they recommend WC102 which is
£5 delivered, for a 20gm bottle including applicator.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that, have ordered some.
Cheers
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:20 pm, Donwill wrote:

I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.

ha, no. Its diy makable but I dont remember how. And not a great
choice. Can you really not find acetone?

NT

AFAIA, Acetone is not a solvent for Methyl Methacrylate (perspex,
acrylic, plexiglas, etc)
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 8:43*am, Donwill wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:20 pm, Donwill wrote:

I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.

ha, no. Its diy makable but I dont remember how. And not a great
choice. Can you really not find acetone?

NT

AFAIA, Acetone is not a solvent for Methyl Methacrylate (perspex,
acrylic, plexiglas, etc)
Don

I'm pretty sure it is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

"Donwill" wrote in message
I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.
Any ideas?
Don

Ask your local pharmacist for help. They may be able to get you a small
bottle. You do have to sign a legal document for it now-a-days, though, to
prevent you from using such chemicals in an illegal manner. But you should
be able to get it from the friendly chemists shop.

I have found Cyanoacrylate works well with perspex.
It appears to solvent weld it, as well as polymerising.
With care, you can bond two transparent pieces together
with the bond being invisible when you look through it,
and if you pull it apart, the perspex breaks before the
bond separates.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:20 pm, Donwill wrote:

I'm trying to purchase a small quantity of acrylic cement to bond a
small acrylic tube to some rod.
In the past I've used Chloroform but I don't suppose I can get any of
that this day and age.

ha, no. Its diy makable but I dont remember how. And not a great
choice. Can you really not find acetone?

NT

AFAIA, Acetone is not a solvent for Methyl Methacrylate (perspex,
acrylic, plexiglas, etc)
Don

No, I don't think it is.

Not sure that methyl chloride is either, or methyly ethyl ketone..or
Xylene..

These all work with ABS, styrene and PVC though. I THINK.

Acetone dissolves super glue..one of the few things that does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Aug, 13:16, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I have found Cyanoacrylate works well with perspex.
It appears to solvent weld it, as well as polymerising.
With care, you can bond two transparent pieces together
with the bond being invisible when you look through it,
and if you pull it apart, the perspex breaks before the
bond separates.

I was amazed at your claim. I haven't any superglue in the house, but
do have a bottle of Loctite SuperGlue3 remover dated 1994. I tried
this and it worked as you describe after an hour or so!

Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 17:07, Dave W wrote:
There's a model shop near me (Stoneleigh, Surrey) which sells small
bottles of plastic weld fluid, which sticks many types including
Perspex. You position the two bits you want to join together, and
apply this very thin liquid to the join so that it wicks into the gap.
It *works well, and presumably is available in other parts of the
country. It says it contains Methyl Chloride. I didn't have to sign
anything.

Dave W

For completeness, here is what's on the label:

EMA Plastic Weld
For styrene, butyrate, ABS, acrylic, Perspex.
EMA Model Supplies Ltd.
Unit 2, Shepperton Business Park
Govett Ave.
Shepperton
TW17 8BA
(01932) 228 228

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W writes:
On 12 Aug, 13:16, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I have found Cyanoacrylate works well with perspex.
It appears to solvent weld it, as well as polymerising.
With care, you can bond two transparent pieces together
with the bond being invisible when you look through it,
and if you pull it apart, the perspex breaks before the
bond separates.

I was amazed at your claim. I haven't any superglue in the house, but
do have a bottle of Loctite SuperGlue3 remover dated 1994. I tried
this and it worked as you describe after an hour or so!

I guess the SuperGlue3 remover is just acetone.
As perspex dissolves in acetone, this is probably
simply a solvent weld you are producing.

Cyanoacrylate polymerises into an acrylic resin,
not dissimilar to perspex, so the mechanism
of the bond is different with Cyanoacrylate.
(Having read up some more, I suspect I was wrong
about Cyanoacrylate solvent welding perspex, as
it's not in a solvent. It forms a similar acrylic
polymer to perspex, and most likely is that the
polymer directly bonds to the perspex polymer
surface.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

which adhesive to use for Perspex? [email protected] UK diy 6 February 8th 07 07:53 PM
Anyone looking for cheap perspex The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 August 30th 06 09:15 PM
Perspex nuttycam UK diy 14 July 8th 06 10:07 AM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
Perspex/Acrylic Mark Spice UK diy 3 March 17th 04 02:47 PM