Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which adhesive to use for Perspex?

I need to attach several large (3m x 2m) sheets of coloured 3mm
Perspex to my bathroom walls, which are plaster with a coat of
emulsion on top. I plan to use a combination of screws (where they
are out of sight, behind fixtures) and adhesive.

However, it's hard to get a definitive answer as to which adhesive to
use. My local plastics shop says use ordinary Liquid Nails or
Evostick. I see that Maplin offer very small tubes of adhesive
(Bondloc) for this purpose, which would out very expensive.

The manufactures recommend a cyanocrylate adhesive. EVO-PLAS TC 731,
though when I contacted Bostik they say they've ceased manufacture
(but may have an alternative).

Does anybody have direct experience of this?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to attach several large (3m x 2m) sheets of coloured 3mm
Perspex to my bathroom walls, which are plaster with a coat of
emulsion on top. I plan to use a combination of screws (where they
are out of sight, behind fixtures) and adhesive.

However, it's hard to get a definitive answer as to which adhesive to
use. My local plastics shop says use ordinary Liquid Nails or
Evostick. I see that Maplin offer very small tubes of adhesive
(Bondloc) for this purpose, which would out very expensive.

The manufactures recommend a cyanocrylate adhesive. EVO-PLAS TC 731,
though when I contacted Bostik they say they've ceased manufacture
(but may have an alternative).

Does anybody have direct experience of this?

Many thanks,

Chris

Use the stuff they use to glue fish tank glass together?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 12:04, "
wrote:
I need to attach several large (3m x 2m) sheets of coloured 3mm
Perspex to my bathroom walls,

Use almost anything -- you have a big area to play with and it's only
a light weight. One of the easiest would be either a silicone or even
better (stickier), a butyl rubber mastic. Try any DIY shed and look
for cheap greenhouse window sealers. You can also remove these later
by slipping some braided fishing line down the back and sawing through
the bead.

If it's opaque perspex, then you can use anything. If it's at all
translucent then _don't_ use anything with solvents in it (any of the
Gripfill / No More Nails type) or there's a risk they'll affect the
back surface and it might be visible.

Cyano sounds like a bad idea on bare plaster as it would require a
perfect and non-absorbent surface to be applied to. If you did use it,
I'd put some smooth planed timber bearers onto the wall first, then
glue it to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The manufactures recommend a cyanocrylate adhesive. EVO-PLAS TC 731,
though when I contacted Bostik they say they've ceased manufacture
(but may have an alternative).

This is for sticking it to itself. The alternative is superglue if I
remember correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 14:55, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

FWIW, you can make your own bonding agent for Perspex by dissolving the
correct shavings in chloroform. Of course this is probably against some
H&S regulations these days.

acetone is much better. chloroform is a general anaesthetic, and one
of the riskiest ones too. Filling your bedroom wall with that would
gegt you a very very long sleep. In fact it would seem like an
eternity.

these glues are for bonding perspex to perspex, and will work with
some othe things too.

NT

Anyone looking for cheap perspex The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 August 30th 06 09:15 PM
Perspex nuttycam UK diy 14 July 8th 06 10:07 AM
Cutting Perspex rjs UK diy 10 July 3rd 06 07:41 PM
Interlocking Suspended Ceiling/Fixing Trunking - Self adhesive or Impact adhesive. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:21 AM
Perspex/Acrylic Mark Spice UK diy 3 March 17th 04 02:47 PM