Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjusting a upvc window - is it possible as it has a draughty gap atthe edge!

In my house I have a not very new upvc window (fitted by the previous
owners) and in cold weather there is a bad draft from the bottom left
corner of the bottom half, which opens upwards from a central position
(it is like a sash window in appearance, though not in operation). I
can in fact see out through this gap.Its about 2-3mm wide.

Is it possible to adjust/move the hinges so that it will close this
gap?

I can see that the panel that opens is not quite central at the
bottom, seems to be less of a problem nearer the top.

Window looks like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x
x x top panel is fixed
x x
x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxx - hinges are here
x x
x x
x x bottom panel lifts from bottom up, outwards
away from room
x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mikeyboy" wrote in message
In my house I have a not very new upvc window (fitted by the previous
owners) and in cold weather there is a bad draft from the bottom left
corner of the bottom half, which opens upwards from a central position
(it is like a sash window in appearance, though not in operation). I
can in fact see out through this gap.Its about 2-3mm wide.

Is it possible to adjust/move the hinges so that it will close this
gap?

When my DG was fitted it wasn't properly square, catching in one corner. So
I called them back to remedy this.

I expected then to tinker with some adjusting screw at the hinge, but much
to my surprise he just gave the opposite corner of the window a good whack -
job done!

You are right, the window should be evenly fitting within the frame and
there should be some guides fitted in the frame to make it stay this way.
Apart from the above, quite how you get to that position with an old window
I don't know

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

can in fact see out through this gap.Its about 2-3mm wide.

Sounds like the slider in the friction hinge has broken. Fit a new friction
hinge. Less than a tenner per pair. You'll need someone to hold the window
for you while you do it.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like the slider in the friction hinge has broken. Fit a new friction
hinge. Less than a tenner per pair. You'll need someone to hold the window
for you while you do it.

Al.

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 04:25:53 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

Sounds like the slider in the friction hinge has broken. Fit a new friction
hinge. Less than a tenner per pair. You'll need someone to hold the window
for you while you do it.

Al.

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

Mike

Yes, but the standard side-hung hinges that I looked at were plated steel.
BTW, Screwfix's site says that the hinges are 13 or 17mm stack height and
13mm width; ASAIK there's no such thing (15mm width is old and 17mm
considered 'slimline'), so I had a look at a pair and the width was 18mm.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A333013...riction-Hinges

Toolstation is a few pence more but the ones that I had were ferritic
stainless steel and made in this country bt Nico; also have an extra
cross-brace on the side-hung.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hard...re/d170/sd3183

near the bottom - the pictures aren't necessarily correct. The egress
hinges should be Nico's make, as in the PDF from

http://www.nico.co.uk/Nicohomepage.htm

click on brochures then the link to the full list - the picture links seem
a bit unreliable.

I've 'phoned Nico a couple of times - very helpful.

--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

A handy site is:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/hing...w-hinges-155/?
gclid=CPjWpbTglJwCFWIB4wodeUudeg

Or is.gd'ed:

http://is.gd/28cOp

I've bought happily from ebay, but there's loads of sites on the interwebs
selling the same stuff.

How to get the right size? It's easy to get the length and width - But the
stack height might be more tricky. Of course, once you've removed the
broken one it's easy, but then you have to put the broken one back while
ordering the new one

Oh, the screw hole spacing may differ from the old to the new hinge - A
Dremel (or similar) with a small drill bit might be useful to have to hand.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Aug 2009 19:11:16 GMT, Al wrote:

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

A handy site is:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/hing...w-hinges-155/?
gclid=CPjWpbTglJwCFWIB4wodeUudeg

Or is.gd'ed:

http://is.gd/28cOp

Yes, I looked at that site, but it's very expensive.

Another place is Marches Ironmongery in Llandrindod Wells:

http://www.marchesironmongery.co.uk/...on-hinges.html

I've bought happily from ebay, but there's loads of sites on the interwebs
selling the same stuff.

How to get the right size? It's easy to get the length and width - But the
stack height might be more tricky. Of course, once you've removed the
broken one it's easy, but then you have to put the broken one back while
ordering the new one

I did some very careful measurements and calcs. for stack height but with
all the layers and cranks it was easier in the end just to take off a
bottom hinge and measure it!

Oh, the screw hole spacing may differ from the old to the new hinge - A
Dremel (or similar) with a small drill bit might be useful to have to hand.

Al.

Seems that the 'hinge' side/end hole is usually OK, then it's a case of 1
more screw and try the window in. I fitted the hinges to the sash first,
with the point overhanging by about the same amount as the old one, then
tried it in position. Took a bit of tweaking, but it was a move from
plastic to metal ends and 15mm width to 19mm.
The frame had to be cut away to fit the new hinges. Luckily there was an
overhung bit of section that was relatively easy to remove. I used side
cutters (flush cutting) as I lacked any machine to do the job (yes, I have
one of those...) and trimmed with a wood chisel (I've a couple of
surprisingly strong uPVC coil springs for some future use, perhaps, as the
cutters coiled the ofcut rather neatly).
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Adjusting Anderson crank window OK Home Repair 12 May 29th 19 07:43 PM
Adjusting uPVC Door Hinges thescullster UK diy 8 September 7th 17 10:45 PM
UPVC WINDOW [email protected] UK diy 4 January 4th 09 10:45 PM
Security on uPVC doors - what can be done? Adjusting the lock so it can close easily Clive UK diy 6 October 7th 07 10:59 AM
Adjusting a Velux window - Help. Tony UK diy 3 June 3rd 04 11:23 PM