Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Adjusting a upvc window - is it possible as it has a draughty gap at the edge!

On 8 Aug 2009 19:11:16 GMT, Al wrote:

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

A handy site is:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/hing...w-hinges-155/?
gclid=CPjWpbTglJwCFWIB4wodeUudeg

Or is.gd'ed:

http://is.gd/28cOp

Yes, I looked at that site, but it's very expensive.

Another place is Marches Ironmongery in Llandrindod Wells:

http://www.marchesironmongery.co.uk/...on-hinges.html

I've bought happily from ebay, but there's loads of sites on the interwebs
selling the same stuff.

How to get the right size? It's easy to get the length and width - But the
stack height might be more tricky. Of course, once you've removed the
broken one it's easy, but then you have to put the broken one back while
ordering the new one

I did some very careful measurements and calcs. for stack height but with
all the layers and cranks it was easier in the end just to take off a
bottom hinge and measure it!

Oh, the screw hole spacing may differ from the old to the new hinge - A
Dremel (or similar) with a small drill bit might be useful to have to hand.

Al.

Seems that the 'hinge' side/end hole is usually OK, then it's a case of 1
more screw and try the window in. I fitted the hinges to the sash first,
with the point overhanging by about the same amount as the old one, then
tried it in position. Took a bit of tweaking, but it was a move from
plastic to metal ends and 15mm width to 19mm.
The frame had to be cut away to fit the new hinges. Luckily there was an
overhung bit of section that was relatively easy to remove. I used side
cutters (flush cutting) as I lacked any machine to do the job (yes, I have
one of those...) and trimmed with a wood chisel (I've a couple of
surprisingly strong uPVC coil springs for some future use, perhaps, as the
cutters coiled the ofcut rather neatly).
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.