Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjusting uPVC Door Hinges

Hi all

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door.
Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at the
non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed.
This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm
weather!
Pictures of the door and hinge are
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Back_Door.jpg and
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...Door-Hinge.jpg
Has anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"thescullster" writes:
Hi all

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door.
Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at the
non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed.
This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm
weather!
Pictures of the door and hinge are
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Back_Door.jpg and
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...Door-Hinge.jpg
Has anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

The fault is almost certainly incorrect fitting of plastic packers
around the bottom panel. That panel is the only diagonal bracing on
the door, without which it will parallelagram-deform under its own
weight. Unfortunately, this is something very few fitters seem to
understand, so it's a very common fault. This normally applies to
the glass units too, but with your thin vertical glass units, that's
less effective.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door.
Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at the
non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed.
This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm
weather!
Pictures of the door and hinge are
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Back_Door.jpg and
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...Door-Hinge.jpg
Has anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

There is at least 1 visible adjuster there - on the hinge cover, at the
edge near the glass, there is a small cover, maybe 1" by 1/2". Prise
this out, and there should be an adjusting screw, probably an allen
bolt.
This one is for making the door level either with the wall/frame, or
plumb straight.
You may be able to adjust the top and bottom ones enough to be able to
get the locks lined up.
There may also be adjusters on the hinge cover attached to the frame, it
isnt clear from the pic. These, if fitted are to adjust the door up/down
in relation to the frame.
When I do these, I back off the middle hinge adjuster, so that only the
top and bottom are adjusted, then nip up the middle one when the other
two are correct.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thescullster" wrote in message
. uk...

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door.
Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at
the non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed.
This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm
weather!
Pictures of the door and hinge are
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Back_Door.jpg and
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...Door-Hinge.jpg
Has anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

As Andrew said, you probably need to heel and toe the door. Following site
gives some guidance:

http://www.doubleglazing.com/diy_toeing_heeling.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the input fellas
By adjusting the hinge screws I have managed to get the door to open and
close reliably.
But I had to move it a long way in-at-top out-at-bottom.
Not sure how this parallelogramming will be corrected having two slim panes
at the top and a full width plastic panel at the bottom.
I have seen the heel and toe instruction but not sure how to apply this to
my door.
Any thoughts?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"shaun" wrote in message

"thescullster" wrote in message
. uk...

We have the same problem with patio doors and back door.
Concentrating on the back door, this appears to have dropped slightly at
the non-hinge side so it now catches when opened/closed.
This suggests some movement at the hinges which is exaggerated by warm
weather!
Pictures of the door and hinge are
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Back_Door.jpg and
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...Door-Hinge.jpg
Has anyone seen similar to advise on adjusting method please?

As Andrew said, you probably need to heel and toe the door. Following site
gives some guidance:

http://www.doubleglazing.com/diy_toeing_heeling.htm

That link refers to doors were its of a full glass panel,is it the same
teqnique for a non glass door?

"To stop a door dropping the glass itself has to be braced diagonally corner
to corner by the insertion of plastic packers slipped in the gap between the
glass and frame, under the beading. On the hinge side the packers go at the
bottom corner, whilst on the lock side, the packers go at the top (opposite)
corner "

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

The fault is almost certainly incorrect fitting of plastic packers
around the bottom panel. That panel is the only diagonal bracing on
the door, without which it will parallelagram-deform under its own
weight. Unfortunately, this is something very few fitters seem to
understand, so it's a very common fault. This normally applies to
the glass units too, but with your thin vertical glass units, that's
less effective.

--
Andrew Gabriel

(Pedant mode on)