Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Default Adjusting hinges on an exterior door

We bought a house and have a gap on the rear side of the door where the
hinges connect. The hinge was not placed deep enough (close to the
outside) in the jam so now I have almost a 1/4" gap and you can see
daylight with the door closed. Basically, it does not come all the way
up to the weather seal. Not only am I worried about the weather but
hurricane season is coming again and I'm sure this will be an issue.

If I try to router out and move the hinges such a short distance, I'm
afraid the screw holes will be damaged and will not hold.

Options/thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:46:52 GMT, "TC" wrote:

We bought a house and have a gap on the rear side of the door where the
hinges connect. The hinge was not placed deep enough (close to the
outside) in the jam so now I have almost a 1/4" gap and you can see
daylight with the door closed. Basically, it does not come all the way
up to the weather seal. Not only am I worried about the weather but
hurricane season is coming again and I'm sure this will be an issue.

If I try to router out and move the hinges such a short distance, I'm
afraid the screw holes will be damaged and will not hold.

Options/thoughts?

I'd take a chisel to the doorframe and/or door. You'll
just be setting the screws deeper. If you don't want
to do that, add more weather stripping.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jordan

Whittle some long, tapered wooden plugs and hammer them into the old
screw holes. Level them off, and you can start again. I've done this
often, and can lift doors as little as 1/8 inch.

TC wrote:

If I try to router out and move the hinges such a short distance, I'm
afraid the screw holes will be damaged and will not hold.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

TC wrote:
We bought a house and have a gap on the rear side of the door where
the hinges connect. The hinge was not placed deep enough (close to the
outside) in the jam so now I have almost a 1/4" gap and you can see
daylight with the door closed. Basically, it does not come all the way
up to the weather seal. Not only am I worried about the weather but
hurricane season is coming again and I'm sure this will be an issue.

If I try to router out and move the hinges such a short distance, I'm
afraid the screw holes will be damaged and will not hold.

Options/thoughts?

I think I would consider starting by looking at the weather striping. If
it is over 5 years old, it may be time to replace it and it may well be
possible to seal it well.

Resetting the door closer to the hinge side is going to widen the gap on
the striker side. That is also not good. You would have just moved the
problem, not solved it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

Hard to explain without pics. It will remain centered between hinge and
striker sides. Picture this: you walk up to your front door (that's
closed). From behind, you push it forword (towards the outside) until
it touches the weather seal. That's my problem. On the side where the
hinges attach it does not allow the door to touch the seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

mm wrote:

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 23:28:13 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

It's pretty confusing, even when I reread it, but I thought he meant
he wanted to put the whole door closer to the outside, and not change
any of the other measurements.

TC, which side is the rear side of the door? It doesn't come up to
the weather seal on what edges/sides of the door? All four?

You are correct. The front side of the door (outside) does not touch
the seal on the hinge-side.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

TC wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

OK, Now I understand what you are wanting to do. Frankly I think you
are likely doing it the hard way. I would move the stops and or weather
stripping to the door not the door to the stops or weather stripping.
Normally when hanging a door, you hang the door first THEN you set the door
stops in place. Much easier that way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC

Hard to explain without pics. It will remain centered between hinge
and striker sides. Picture this: you walk up to your front door
(that's closed). From behind, you push it forword (towards the
outside) until it touches the weather seal. That's my problem. On
the side where the hinges attach it does not allow the door to
touch the seal.

OK, Now I understand what you are wanting to do. Frankly I think
you are likely doing it the hard way. I would move the stops and or
weather stripping to the door not the door to the stops or weather
stripping. Normally when hanging a door, you hang the door first
THEN you set the door stops in place. Much easier that way.

I agree, this would have been easier. But the house is about 14 years
old and this is a new door on an existing jam. The was put on crooked.
If I moved the stops now to meet the door, they would not match each
other. The door touches the stops on one side but not the other. They
don't line up now as it is and to move them would make it even worse. I
would have to re-cut the holes for the deadbolt, etc.

I'm going to have to weigh the pros and cons of all. I may end up
rehanging the door.

FS: NOS hinges Bob Schmall Woodworking 2 January 9th 06 02:47 PM
HELP! with self-closing cabinet hinges...doors are staying open,not closed! none Woodworking 4 October 30th 05 02:29 AM
Question about recalcitrant door hinges Noons Woodworking 4 February 6th 05 11:31 AM
I put new hinges on a cabinet door and now something is squeaking trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 1 January 1st 04 11:44 PM
Hinges and ideas for shutters David Micklem UK diy 9 October 17th 03 01:59 PM