Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security on uPVC doors - what can be done? Adjusting the lock so it can close easily

Hello,

Unfortunately my mother's house has a uPVC front door - ugly,
ghastly thing. Now, the door is fitted with an elaborate lock where
one lifts the handle when the door is closed and some latches lock
into the (none-too-substantial) uPVC door frame. Keeping the handle
up, the key is turned and a flimsy deadlock bolt also slides into
place. Now, the frame is obviously too soft for a standard door chain
too offer any protection should some miscreant come to the door and
decide to kick it in when mother opens the door. We are thinking about
CCTV in the door. However Q1 is there some physical "latch" that can
be attached to the door so when she opens it the effect is like a
standard door chain so she can see the visitor but they can't push
into the house?

I did see a system once where the chain was within the door frame
and when the door was opened, unless you turned a latch, the chain was
always engaged. No rubbish screws on the wood, this thing was fitted
inside the door and inside the frame. Seemed like a much more secure
system to me. This mechanism wouldn't fit inside the uPVC door my
mother has.

Separately, I once had to fiddle with the door for 10 minute because
it would not lock. The dead-lck worked fine (I.e. lift handle, hold,
turn key) when the door was opened. However, the lock wouldn't engage
when the door was closed. Looking at the door frame there are some
metal brass-like "sockets" attached to the frame into which the
"hooks" and the bolt (?) engage. I am guessing the socket into which
the lock bolt slides has come out of alignment and the bolt won't
slide into place. The sockets have two screws with hexagonal allen
key holes and + and - on them. Q2 Are these what I fiddle with to
adjust the alignment of the socket? How do I know what to turn and by
how much? Is this adjustment a pro-job?

Thanks

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sometimes the weight of the door causes it to sag at the hinges, your idea
of adjusting the striking plates isn't far off but it can be easier to
adjust the hinges. Most can be adjusted by using an allen key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

metal brass-like "sockets" attached to the frame into which the
"hooks" and the bolt (?) engage. I am guessing the socket into which
the lock bolt slides has come out of alignment and the bolt won't
slide into place. The sockets have two screws with hexagonal allen
key holes and + and - on them. Q2 Are these what I fiddle with to
adjust the alignment of the socket? How do I know what to turn and by
how much? Is this adjustment a pro-job?

The allen key adjustments need doing on our door from time to time -
the door is normally OK unless it gets really warm, in which case it's
quite "grating" to engage the locks - unfortunately i've done all I
can to adjust it, but it's still a little "rough" but usable (but well
greased to help as much as possible).

They allen keys simply spin cams, upon which the sockets sit, and
allow a few mm of horizontal adjustment, which can help, so there's
nothing lost trying to play with them :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes
[...]

Having once, for my sins, been employed as a uPVC door fabricator I can
add the following.

When a door is made on the bench the sash is made to overlap the frame
by about 8-10mm all round. The hinges and locking mechanisms are then
adjusted. The door will drop when installed and the glass is added but
this is taken up on the hinges normally.

What you need to do is draw pencil lines in each corner of the frame
about 10mm from the edge of the opening so that you can see how the sash
lines up with the frame and adjust the hinges accordingly. Do this
before adjusting anything else. It can also help to draw lines midway up
the frame if you have a centre hinge.

Use the hinge adjustments to align the door equally within the pencil
lines on all 4 corners and then adjust the strikers if necessary.

A correctly aligned door will seal when closed and compress the seals
slightly when the handle is raised. The rollers of the lock do the
sealing and the claws, if fitted, only help prevent the door from being
forced.
--
Regards
Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:28:41 -0700, Clive
wrote:

Hello,

Unfortunately my mother's house has a uPVC front door - ugly,
ghastly thing. Now, the door is fitted with an elaborate lock where

Does she own her own home? Or moved into it recently?

If she owns her home then she could pick a new door and have it
installed and have lots more security.

[...]

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the detailed, helpful suggestions (I especially like
the idea of replacing the door !). I'll have a go at fiddling with the
adjusters and see what happens.

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
Now, the frame is obviously too soft for a standard door chain
too offer any protection should some miscreant come to the door and
decide to kick it in when mother opens the door. We are thinking about
CCTV in the door. However Q1 is there some physical "latch" that can
be attached to the door so when she opens it the effect is like a
standard door chain so she can see the visitor but they can't push
into the house?

Have you considered a video entry system? That way your mum could see &
speak to callers before opening the door.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...o_1/index.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

uPVC Door Lock Wolverine UK diy 3 June 14th 07 10:07 AM
Fix Security Chain to UPVC Door Steve Walker UK diy 2 March 14th 07 04:53 PM
Security 'chain' for uPVC doors? T i m UK diy 9 July 7th 06 10:41 PM
Replacing Euro Lock Cylinders in uPVC French Doors Paul UK diy 1 March 8th 05 06:01 PM
Adjusting Bifold Doors C Home Repair 3 March 17th 04 01:56 AM