Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Security 'chain' for uPVC doors?

Hi All,

I am considering fitting a security chain / device to the front (and
possibly rear) doors so that I can leave both ajar over the hot
evenings to get a through draught without having someone 'just wander
in'.

Also it would be handy for generally answering the door to 'unknowns',
especially for the wife and daughter ( who generally won't answer
the door less we are in anyway).

I think Mum has a solid metal bar type on her wooden door / frame and
that seems quite 'positive' (ie, I don't think it could be cut through
with bolt croppers or 'unhooked' *easily* (or possibly unhooked at
all) through the door gap).

I *think* my DG doors have a steel reinforcement to the frame (if not
also within the door itself) and if ordinary screws used from through
the 'fitting' from the inside won't hold, I could inset some small
coach bolts through the outside (under while plastic plugs etc).

So. any thoughts please folks .. (models, suppliers, approx prices /
suitability etc)

All the best ..

T i m

sigh and go on then Mr Bacon .. as you have been good for a while
you can reply as well ... as long as it's not to tell me about
alt.locksmiths.doorstays .... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

So. any thoughts please folks .. (models, suppliers, approx prices /
suitability etc)

Hi Tim

Toolstation have some; 80111 and 45579 if you use the search function.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Toolstation have some; 80111 and 45579 if you use the search function.

I've got the former and it's very good - mostly. It appears secure
enough - certainly it'd be a deterrent, which is all you really can
expect. The drawback is that the kids have a habit of flipping it as the
walk past so the door shuts on it. Not a major problem since I've taught
mine not to do it, but visiting kids just can't leave it alone[1].
The other minor niggle is that it's a bit loose on its pivots, which I
got round by taking it apart and putting a small O-ring in the hinge.

[1] Likewise the catflap. You can almost guarantee the little sods will
lock the cats out - or worse in.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am considering fitting a security chain / device to the front (and
possibly rear) doors so that I can leave both ajar over the hot
evenings to get a through draught without having someone 'just wander
in'.

Also it would be handy for generally answering the door to 'unknowns',
especially for the wife and daughter ( who generally won't answer
the door less we are in anyway).

Have they had a personal bad experience?

Both sets of our parents used to lock, bolt and chain doors, as children we
couldn't understand the fuss. During our married life we've only locked our
doors at night, unless it's cold the back door at least is ajar most of the
time. Each door has two locks, they use just one key. We removed the latches
and bolts.

I answer the door to anyone ... I suppose that's just because we're too laid
back, our attitude is that no-one's gong to want to attack us and we've
nothing to steal which anyone would want. If there was it wouldn't matter
anyway ... people are more important than things. Ours is the only house in
the street without a burglar alarm. Perhaps we're wrong.

Our next door neighbour has locks and chain on his door. When he goes into
the garden he locks the door after him, when he takes rubbish to the dustbin
he locks the door after him. I don't know what valuables he's protecting.
When his partner comes back from work and has forgotten her keys she has to
ring him to open the door, he can't hear a knock on the door or the
doorbell.

The other next door neighbour has a drive gate which is locked all the time,
as well as the usual door hardware and security gate which are kept locked.

Next-door-but-one neighbour was paranoid about locking her doors with bolts,
locks and a chain. Then she had fitted one of those ugly 'security' gates
and kept that locked all the time too, whether she was in or out.

During one night early this year she had to call the ambulance. She managed
to open her door when they came but the security gate had to be unlocked
from the outside, she couldn't reach round to do it and wouldn't give the
ambulance crew the key. They had to watch her fall to the floor and die
before the police arrived with the power to force an entry.

I think about this every time I lock our doors at night and wonder ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:27:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I am considering fitting a security chain / device to the front (and
possibly rear) doors so that I can leave both ajar over the hot
evenings to get a through draught without having someone 'just wander
in'.

Also it would be handy for generally answering the door to 'unknowns',
especially for the wife and daughter ( who generally won't answer
the door less we are in anyway).

Have they had a personal bad experience?

Not that I know of?

Both sets of our parents used to lock, bolt and chain doors, as children we
couldn't understand the fuss.

Mine would only do so at night (but the front couldn't be opened from
the outside without a key)

During our married life we've only locked our
doors at night, unless it's cold the back door at least is ajar most of the
time.

I expect *you* lock the doors to stop 'spouse' escaping Mary? ;-)

Each door has two locks, they use just one key. We removed the latches
and bolts.

eBay?

I answer the door to anyone ...

As do I .. but then I'm a big ugly bloke and often have one hand near
some sporting equipment that may have been left in the hall ....

I suppose that's just because we're too laid
back, our attitude is that no-one's gong to want to attack us and we've
nothing to steal which anyone would want.

There's loads of dead folk who thought that Mary .. ;-(

My car was broken into because they 'assumed' there must be a radio
hidden away somewhere, I mean, what car doesn't have a radio these
days .. well mine ... (as they found out)?

If there was it wouldn't matter
anyway ... people are more important than things.

Until you try to replace those 'things' and the insurance company says
you hadn't provided sufficient security?

Ours is the only house in
the street without a burglar alarm. Perhaps we're wrong.

Perhaps you have been lucky?

Our next door neighbour has locks and chain on his door. When he goes into
the garden he locks the door after him, when he takes rubbish to the dustbin
he locks the door after him. I don't know what valuables he's protecting.

'His' valuables .. and they needn't be 'valuable' in the commercial
sense?

When his partner comes back from work and has forgotten her keys she has to
ring him to open the door, he can't hear a knock on the door or the
doorbell.

I can hear the doorbell when I leave the key on the inside of our
front door and 'she' wants to get in. But with our multipoint locking
you have to lock the door to stop someone just walking in anytime?

The other next door neighbour has a drive gate which is locked all the time,
as well as the usual door hardware and security gate which are kept locked.

Ok ..

Next-door-but-one neighbour was paranoid about locking her doors with bolts,
locks and a chain.

Wasn't there an old saying '.. better to be safe than sorry ..' ?

Then she had fitted one of those ugly 'security' gates
and kept that locked all the time too, whether she was in or out.

They made me take the laser canon off the front of our house .. ;-(

During one night early this year she had to call the ambulance. She managed
to open her door when they came but the security gate had to be unlocked
from the outside, she couldn't reach round to do it and wouldn't give the
ambulance crew the key. They had to watch her fall to the floor and die
before the police arrived with the power to force an entry.

Life's a compromise .. like those who don't wear a safely belt because
of the fear of drowning usually die when their heads hit something
more solid than water .. like a bridge .. ;-(

I think about this every time I lock our doors at night and wonder ...

Well there is that. But remember some of us are *obliged* to ensure
the security of our houses .. and the reason involves the sorts of
things I would rather not be on the wrong end of when I come home ....

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

Have they had a personal bad experience?

Not that I know of?

So why the nervousness?

During our married life we've only locked our
doors at night, unless it's cold the back door at least is ajar most of
the
time.

I expect *you* lock the doors to stop 'spouse' escaping Mary? ;-)

He could escape at any time he liked. He knows when he's well off.

Usually he locks the doors in any case.

Each door has two locks, they use just one key. We removed the latches
and bolts.

eBay?

Scrap buckets.

I answer the door to anyone ...

As do I .. but then I'm a big ugly bloke and often have one hand near
some sporting equipment that may have been left in the hall ....

But, seriously, have you ever needed it?

I suppose that's just because we're too laid
back, our attitude is that no-one's gong to want to attack us and we've
nothing to steal which anyone would want.

There's loads of dead folk who thought that Mary .. ;-(

Not as many as those dead folks who die on the road.

You don't drive, I take it ... ?

My car was broken into because they 'assumed' there must be a radio
hidden away somewhere, I mean, what car doesn't have a radio these
days .. well mine ... (as they found out)?

We've been known to leave our car keys in the car door (in those days of
door locks) and in the ignition.

And this in a high crime area ...

If there was it wouldn't matter
anyway ... people are more important than things.

Until you try to replace those 'things' and the insurance company says
you hadn't provided sufficient security?

No insurance. We've paid out thousands over the years, we decided that it
wasn't worth it.

Ours is the only house in
the street without a burglar alarm. Perhaps we're wrong.

Perhaps you have been lucky?

Or perhaps we don't have the things which people want.

Our next door neighbour has locks and chain on his door. When he goes into
the garden he locks the door after him, when he takes rubbish to the
dustbin
he locks the door after him. I don't know what valuables he's protecting.

'His' valuables .. and they needn't be 'valuable' in the commercial
sense?

Who would want 'uncommercial' valuables?

OI asked him tonight, in the light of this post, why he locked his door all
the time. He said that someone might come in and take him away. He's a BIG
man. I said they'd need a fork lift ... his lady laughed.

When his partner comes back from work and has forgotten her keys she has
ring him to open the door, he can't hear a knock on the door or the
doorbell.

I can hear the doorbell when I leave the key on the inside of our
front door and 'she' wants to get in. But with our multipoint locking
you have to lock the door to stop someone just walking in anytime?

But who's going to do that?

[...]

Well, I'm not going to change. If I had a bad experience I might. But you
say that your ladies haven't ...well, that you know of.

I wonder, surely you WOULD know?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:48:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

Have they had a personal bad experience?

Not that I know of?

So why the nervousness?

Not all folk have to experience something first hand to be cautious /
wary of it?

I answer the door to anyone ...

As do I .. but then I'm a big ugly bloke and often have one hand near
some sporting equipment that may have been left in the hall ....

But, seriously, have you ever needed it?

No, but that *could* be down to the fact that we don't answer the door
to *everyone* ?

I suppose that's just because we're too laid
back, our attitude is that no-one's gong to want to attack us and we've
nothing to steal which anyone would want.

There's loads of dead folk who thought that Mary .. ;-(

Not as many as those dead folks who die on the road.

Tangent argument. In any case most of us wear our safety belts, drive
safely etc etc. We don't *not* do these things because 'it may never
happen to me' ?

You don't drive, I take it ... ?

Often (see above)

My car was broken into because they 'assumed' there must be a radio
hidden away somewhere, I mean, what car doesn't have a radio these
days .. well mine ... (as they found out)?

We've been known to leave our car keys in the car door (in those days of
door locks) and in the ignition.

My car randomly unlocks (and more embarrassingly, immobilizes)
itself.*Luckily* it isn't a car most folk would want to steal ..
doesn't stop me trying to minimize the risk though?

And this in a high crime area ...

As is this (Nth London)

If there was it wouldn't matter
anyway ... people are more important than things.

Until you try to replace those 'things' and the insurance company says
you hadn't provided sufficient security?

No insurance. We've paid out thousands over the years, we decided that it
wasn't worth it.

I take it you don't drive then? no buildings or contents insurance?

Ours is the only house in
the street without a burglar alarm. Perhaps we're wrong.

Perhaps you have been lucky?

Or perhaps we don't have the things which people want.

People don't always know that you haven't got anything worth stealing
... and don't know that you would be friendly to them if you met them
face to face in your house at night?

'His' valuables .. and they needn't be 'valuable' in the commercial
sense?

Who would want 'uncommercial' valuables?

Who would want to key a car?

I can hear the doorbell when I leave the key on the inside of our
front door and 'she' wants to get in. But with our multipoint locking
you have to lock the door to stop someone just walking in anytime?

But who's going to do that?

*I* don't know their names but the Police have a list of those who
regularly do and a bigger list of those they want to find out about?

Well, I'm not going to change. If I had a bad experience I might. But you
say that your ladies haven't ...well, that you know of.

I wouldn't want them to take the chance?

So out of interest, are the Neighborhood watch, Security companies,
the Police, Locksmiths, banks, CCTV system suppliers etc all wasting
their time?

I wonder, surely you WOULD know?

Like I said *I'm* obliged to maintain a reasonable level of security

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

No insurance. We've paid out thousands over the years, we decided that it
wasn't worth it.

I take it you don't drive then? no buildings or contents insurance?

Sorry, I meant buildings and contents insurance. I thought everyone round
here knew that :-)

Of course we have car and scooter insurance, we're law abiding.

Ours is the only house in
the street without a burglar alarm. Perhaps we're wrong.

Perhaps you have been lucky?

Or perhaps we don't have the things which people want.

People don't always know that you haven't got anything worth stealing
.. and don't know that you would be friendly to them if you met them
face to face in your house at night?

I reckon that all the local lads know everythng in our house. I've said that
the house is locked at night - when we remember.

'His' valuables .. and they needn't be 'valuable' in the commercial
sense?

Who would want 'uncommercial' valuables?

Who would want to key a car?

Um, I don't know what that means.

I can hear the doorbell when I leave the key on the inside of our
front door and 'she' wants to get in. But with our multipoint locking
you have to lock the door to stop someone just walking in anytime?

But who's going to do that?

*I* don't know their names but the Police have a list of those who
regularly do and a bigger list of those they want to find out about?

I wasn't asking for names :-) I do think it's easy to exaggerate risks.
Recently there was a public meeting about a local ginnel which some folk
want closed. I shan't go into the details but someone said that it was
dangerous, people were scared of being mugged and raped every time they
walked through the ginnel. The police were there. I asked them how many
people had been mugged or raped in the ginnel in its seventy year history.

None.

But people are mugged on the main road, someone was shot and killed a couple
of years ago. No-one suggests closing that and people walk along it.

Look, Tim, I'm certainly not saying that you and your ladies are wrong or
that I'm right, it's just different points of view. My personal take is that
I wouldn't want to be looking over my shoulder (as it were) all the time.
Life's too short.

Well, I'm not going to change. If I had a bad experience I might. But you
say that your ladies haven't ...well, that you know of.

I wouldn't want them to take the chance?

Do you allow them to walk down the street without you? People are mugged ...

So out of interest, are the Neighborhood watch, Security companies,
the Police, Locksmiths, banks, CCTV system suppliers etc all wasting
their time?

Not all of them but I do think that fears are played on for the sake of
profit by some companies. I'm officially the NW co-ordinator in this street.
I don't do anything. Don't need to with all the 'protection' people have
installed for themselves - at high costs and, sadly, resulting loneliness.

Bad things which people do to other people are awful but they happen
everywhere, not just in houses. We simply can't protect against everything.
Perhaps I'm too lazy to think of what might happen.

I don't rejoice in advance of possible good luck either :-)

Mary