Bruce

Default New Front Door(s)

Hi,

I want to replace the double front doors of my house. The current wood
doors are 37" and 36" wide, and 80" tall. They are pretty basic doors,
with no windows or panels.

I've installed plenty of doors, but not double doors. Since the cost of
the doors will be relatively high, and since it has to be done right, I
will have a contractor install them.

I'm looking for suggestions about what to consider when selecting
doors/contractors.

Is it best to get the doors from the contractor that installs them? I know
this would cost more, but will I avoid finger pointing between door
manufacturer and contractor this way if problems occur down the line? Or,
is installing double doors fairly straight forward, so I don't need to
worry about this? Do I find a carpenter or a general contractor?

When looking for doors, what are some of the things that a novice like my
self might not know to consider.

Sincerley,
Bruce
EL

Installing double doors is fairly easy. If the wall you're installing
them into is plumb just make sure that one side is secured well and is
vertical in the plane of the wall and vertical in the plane of the jamb.

Do the same with the other side, adjusting as needed to cause the doors
to meet in the center.

Did one with my son in his house a couple of weeks ago. Took about an
hour to install the door. The time is spent making sure that the
opening is done right. The prep always takes longer.

Boden

Bruce wrote:

[...]

DonLanger

I would shy away from Home Depot, Menards type places. I have found that places
that deal only in windows and doors do an great job installing.
DonLanger

Bruce,
Most places will give you names of installers. I have found that the prices
from window and door stores compare with that of the big home stores. I had
double storm doors installed in September and the place i got them from (The
Door Store) came to within a few dollars of Menards. The doors were cheaper but
the installtion was higher and it was almost a wash.I can also tell you that
Larson doors are very good.

Front door hassles TRK's dad UK diy 0 May 19th 04 11:50 AM
Help! Restain Luan Doors? James Harvey Woodworking 0 September 23rd 03 12:37 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Wide Wardrobe Doors Andrew May UK diy 1 August 15th 03 08:01 AM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 04:15 AM