Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Adjusting a upvc window - is it possible as it has a draughty gap at the edge!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 04:25:53 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

Sounds like the slider in the friction hinge has broken. Fit a new friction
hinge. Less than a tenner per pair. You'll need someone to hold the window
for you while you do it.

Al.

Thanks! Can you give me any more details about which is the friction
hinge?
Does Scewfix sell these things?

Mike

Yes, but the standard side-hung hinges that I looked at were plated steel.
BTW, Screwfix's site says that the hinges are 13 or 17mm stack height and
13mm width; ASAIK there's no such thing (15mm width is old and 17mm
considered 'slimline'), so I had a look at a pair and the width was 18mm.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A333013...riction-Hinges

Toolstation is a few pence more but the ones that I had were ferritic
stainless steel and made in this country bt Nico; also have an extra
cross-brace on the side-hung.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hard...re/d170/sd3183

near the bottom - the pictures aren't necessarily correct. The egress
hinges should be Nico's make, as in the PDF from

http://www.nico.co.uk/Nicohomepage.htm

click on brochures then the link to the full list - the picture links seem
a bit unreliable.

I've 'phoned Nico a couple of times - very helpful.

--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.