Old August 1st 09, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How clean narrow bendy metal chimney flue?

Any clever ideas on this one?

Had a wood-burner fitted a year ago and the fitters "flued" it with a
narrow, probably 6" diameter, metal concertina-type flue up inside the
original old flue to the roof (probably a distance of 7 metres all in).

Anyway, though I had better give it a clean so I got out my 1-metre rods
with brush attachments etc., but can't get up more than a metre.
Problem is the bends - combined with the narrowness of the pipe. And,
of course, I don't want to puncture the thing by forcing my way up.

Went online and saw that at stovesonline.co.uk they're offering just the
thing - a really thin and very flexible "rod", with attachments.
Problem is it's 20 per metre!!!!!!!

There must be a cheaper way round this.

First thought is, what about a good stiff garden hose? (No rude joke
intended.)

Anyone already come up with an effective solution to this problem?

Eddy.

Old August 1st 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Any clever ideas on this one?

Had a wood-burner fitted a year ago and the fitters "flued" it with a
narrow, probably 6" diameter, metal concertina-type flue up inside the
original old flue to the roof (probably a distance of 7 metres all in).

Anyway, though I had better give it a clean so I got out my 1-metre rods
with brush attachments etc., but can't get up more than a metre.
Problem is the bends - combined with the narrowness of the pipe. And,
of course, I don't want to puncture the thing by forcing my way up.

Went online and saw that at stovesonline.co.uk they're offering just the
thing - a really thin and very flexible "rod", with attachments.
Problem is it's Ł20 per metre!!!!!!!

There must be a cheaper way round this.

First thought is, what about a good stiff garden hose? (No rude joke
intended.)

Anyone already come up with an effective solution to this problem?

Eddy.

Try the old shotgun up the flue trick.

:-)

COULD use blanks..

Old August 1st 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddy" wrote in message
[...]

Find a close fitting, heavy, ball and drop it down from the top.

Colin Bignell

Old August 1st 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

First off, go easy on it. You don't want to damage the smooth inner
layer of the flexi.

(solid fuel flexis have a corrugated outer layer, and a smooth inner,
with the edges of the helical inner winding facing downwards - the
idea being to reduce places for moisture/tar to get trapped and start
attacking the stainless)

I use conventional rods & brush - but the angles aren't too tight it
mine. You might like to look at hiring the kit, using a professional
sweep, dragging a brush through on a rope from the top - or simply
caving in to the cost of good rods.
Old August 1st 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "" wrote:

Find a close fitting, heavy, ball and drop it down from the top.

Preferably on the end of a rope, otherwise when it hits he hearth it
goes bouncing across the room :-) - or gets stuck on the way down :-)

--
John W

Old August 1st 09, 09:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Something like a pressure washer drain cleaning end, but with
compressed air instead of water?

Feasible! Blow the lot out of the top too, so no soot coming downwards!

Radio-controlled model helicopter with brushes on the rotor end, and
CCTV camera so you can see where it's going?

Long-haired cat, hairspray it so the fur forms bristles.?

Bass guitar amp in the fireplace pointing upward, and vibrate the soot
off.

Very amusing! LOL.

Eddy.

Old August 1st 09, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:

First off, go easy on it. You don't want to damage the smooth inner
layer of the flexi.

Yes, that's was one of my worries.

(solid fuel flexis have a corrugated outer layer, and a smooth inner,
with the edges of the helical inner winding facing downwards - the
idea being to reduce places for moisture/tar to get trapped and start
attacking the stainless)

I use conventional rods & brush - but the angles aren't too tight it
mine. You might like to look at hiring the kit, using a professional
sweep, dragging a brush through on a rope from the top - or simply
caving in to the cost of good rods.

Dragging a brush through from the top sounds feasible, although I
wouldn't like to be trying it when I'm a bit older.

Haven't thought about getting a quote from a sweep. Worth seeing what
they charge, at least.

By the way, I discovered in my abortive attempt to do the job this
morning that the first metre and a half is absolutely clean. Do you
think this might mean the whole thing is absolutely clean? Does soot
tend to only gather higher up? (I only burn wood.)

Eddy.

Old August 1st 09, 09:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar .me.uk wrote:

Anyone already come up with an effective solution to this problem?

Find a close fitting, heavy, ball and drop it down from the top.

Ingenious, Colin! And put a good strong net up in front of the grate so
it doesn't charge out when it hits the bottom and dive straight into TV
screen?

Eddy.

Old August 1st 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Weston wrote:
Find a close fitting, heavy, ball and drop it down from the top.

Preferably on the end of a rope, otherwise when it hits he hearth it
goes bouncing across the room :-) - or gets stuck on the way down :-)

Yes, a good idea, the rope, in case of it getting stuck. And maybe not
to close fitting either. Actually combine Owain's idea of cat sprayed
stiff with hairspray with the ball and come up with a ball-brush. Still
has me on the roof though, which I'm not to keen on!

Eddy.

Old August 1st 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Try the old shotgun up the flue trick.

In an old Welsh farm-house with 18"-thick stone walls, perhaps! But not
inside this delicate metal flue. Can't afford to put a hole in it.

Eddy.