Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eddy[_2_] Eddy[_2_] is offline

Default How clean narrow bendy metal chimney flue?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
As for the OP's problem. I think short of going up onto the roof and
looking down from the top to see what that is like. Does it need a
sweep? Don't forget rain might clean the top few feet. A set of more
flexable rods or bringing in a sweep is the best bet. For a pro-sweep
it's only a couple of hours so I'd expect change from £100. If he has
to travel over 20/30 miles it might be worth getting in touch with
others nearby and arranging to all have your chimneys done on the
same day.

Hi, Dave.

Unfortunately, if I were to get up on the roof I couldn't see down it
because of the cowl permanently fixed to stop rain getting in.

Thanks for an idea re. price of having a sweep in. Bearing in mind the
need to have the job done annually, as we have the stove going almost
each night from November through to May, the cost of the ultra flexible
rods and brushes would be more than repaid after two years.

Eddy.