G. Filicetti

Default Chimney flue questions

Hey guys,

At some point, I'm going to have to get some work done on my chimney.. the top
of it needs to be repointed, and when I bought the house, the home inspector
told me the chimney liner only extended up to the roof line not to the top of
the chimney.

So I was thinking, since I'm having that work done, perhaps I could solve
another problem... right now, we have a fireplace that we can not use because it
is attached to the same flue as the furnace (this is an 80 year old house)....

Is it at all possible to retrofit my chimney and install 2 flues (perhaps of
smaller size) instead of the one I have now?... This sounds like a dumb question
whose obvious answer is no (even to me), but I just thought I'd put it out there
and maybe be surprised by the answer.

Thanks,

Paul A

"G. Filicetti" wrote in message
[...]

Just a thought, since I don't know the age of your furnace and if it is gas
or not, but if it ever makes sense to put a high efficiency gas furnace
replacement in, it will vent through a PVC pipe in the sidewall, not the
chimney, freeing the chimney up for the fireplace.