Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Conventional flue and chimney

I'm planning to instal an oil fired non-condensing combi boiler(Grant) in
the kitchen of an old cottage.
There's an existing, but disused fireplace in the kitchen and the chimney
looks good.
Is it enough just to fit a length of 4in flexible liner onto the boiler and
route it up the chimney,
with the boiler taking its air from the kitchen?

I take it I can't use a balanced flue discharging into the fireplace!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank McGuire wrote:
I'm planning to instal an oil fired non-condensing combi boiler(Grant) in
the kitchen of an old cottage.
There's an existing, but disused fireplace in the kitchen and the chimney
looks good.
Is it enough just to fit a length of 4in flexible liner onto the boiler and
route it up the chimney,
with the boiler taking its air from the kitchen?

I take it I can't use a balanced flue discharging into the fireplace!

You need to line the whole stack with that stuff. Climb up and clear it
out if necessary, then drop the liner in. (I think.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank McGuire wrote:
I'm planning to instal an oil fired non-condensing combi boiler(Grant) in
the kitchen of an old cottage.
There's an existing, but disused fireplace in the kitchen and the chimney
looks good.
Is it enough just to fit a length of 4in flexible liner onto the boiler and
route it up the chimney,
with the boiler taking its air from the kitchen?

If the property is pre 1970 (IIRC) this is acceptable to the
regulations..otherwise you may need to use a better flue liner.

if the BCO is involved he will check for ventilation *into* the room.

generally a 4" hole with a 'hit and miss' vent over it will be enough.

I take it I can't use a balanced flue discharging into the fireplace!