JMagerl

Default Chimney flue repair

The previous owner installed a 80% effiecient furnace and vented thru an
existing chimney. He didn't install a flue liner. SO...after 20 years, the
inside of the chimney starts to drop bricks (from the acidic condensation)
and partially obsturcts the flue. (Boo to the homeinspector who didn't spot
it before I bought). Because of the partial obstruction I chose to have a
liner proffesionally installed. Took half a day and cost $800 (northwest
suburbs of Chicago). The obstruction didn't seem to cause them any
difficulty

"ROBMURR" wrote in message
Anyone installed a Flexiliner or similar flue in a brick
fireplace? Did you do it yourself? If so how hard was it
and what did it cost? IF you had it done what was the cost?

ROBMURR

Great, thanks for the info!
~KJPRO~

"ROBMURR" wrote in message
Anyone installed a Flexiliner or similar flue in a brick
fireplace? Did you do it yourself? If so how hard was it
and what did it cost? IF you had it done what was the cost?

Install them all the time.

Cost? Can't say, it all depends on the size of liner needed, length,
installation variances.

Recommendation: This is not a DIY installation!
If done improperly it can cause serious issues or even result in DEATH due
to Carbon Monoxide!!

~kjpro~

HeatMan

"JMagerl" wrote in message
The previous owner installed a 80% effiecient furnace and vented thru an
existing chimney. He didn't install a flue liner. SO...after 20 years, the
inside of the chimney starts to drop bricks (from the acidic condensation)
and partially obsturcts the flue. (Boo to the homeinspector who didn't

spot
it before I bought). Because of the partial obstruction I chose to have a
liner proffesionally installed. Took half a day and cost $800 (northwest
suburbs of Chicago). The obstruction didn't seem to cause them any
difficulty

This is one of the reasons home inspectors need to have some other kind of
license other than a business license....