Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How clean narrow bendy metal chimney flue?

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:04:40 +0100, Eddy wrote:

Unfortunately, if I were to get up on the roof I couldn't see down it
because of the cowl permanently fixed to stop rain getting in.

Nothing is permanent...

Thanks for an idea re. price of having a sweep in. Bearing in mind the
need to have the job done annually, as we have the stove going almost
each night from November through to May,

"They" recomend having the flue swept every year. I'd be tempted to
do that after the first year of use and see how much soot came down
and make a decision on next year based on that. A stove burns far
more effciently than an open fire, how well seasoned and what your
wood is (hard wood or resin laden softwood), does have an effect
though. Well seasoned dry hardwood I wouldn't expect much soot/tar
from. Green, damp, softwood on the other hand...

--
Cheers
Dave.