Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soft Close Hinges

Hi

We've had a toilet with these new soft-close hinges for just over a year now
(ie out of warranty) and the soft-close is no longer very soft - in fact
it's quite a loud bang.

The toilet is a back to the wall and there is no access to the underside of
the hinges - no little wing nuts like the old-fashioned type. After much
head scratching I managed to spot the tiny grub screws on the back of the
pillars connecting the hinge to the pan and eventiually managed to remove
the hinges which appear to be sealed units - small steel cylinders with a
protruding bar that is (I assume) friction damped inside. It would seem that
the friction damping is no longer as tight as it needs to be.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with fixing these or do
I just have to dump them and buy new ones? I wondered about baking them in
the oven - any thoughts?

Progress eh?

Thanks
Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Lightly fried maybe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Or even pan-fried?

Thanks anyway!
Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas wrote:
"John" wrote in message

"Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad we got that sauteed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas wrote:

Lightly fried maybe?

Or even pan-fried?

Or even deep-pan crisp and even - as Good King Wenceslas likes his pizzas?
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Thomas wrote:
"John" wrote in message

"Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Enough already!

My logic is that maybe there has been some ingress of 'moisture' (this is a
toilet fgs) which is causing a loss of friction in the hinge. On the other
hand, there may be components in there which wouldn't be too happy about
being heated up.

Thanks
Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas
writes

Enough already!

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that eyetie-septic phrase
intensely annoying ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Thomas wrote:

Lightly fried maybe?

Or even pan-fried?

Or even deep-pan crisp and even - as Good King Wenceslas likes his pizzas?
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

If it uses a thick long chain molecule grease (like Rocol Kilopoise) then
heat will cause it to expand and push out through the seal.

Soft Close Toilet Seat? No Name UK diy 0 May 3rd 09 05:48 PM
Toto soft-close seat now drops, can it be adjusted? wishnet Home Repair 1 March 21st 09 03:11 PM
soft close toilet seat [email protected] UK diy 2 March 10th 09 08:03 PM
"Soft Close" Kitchen door/drawer buffers [email protected] UK diy 7 July 25th 05 04:00 PM
"soft-close" drawer glides George Beshers Woodworking 6 January 16th 05 03:40 AM