George Beshers

Default "soft-close" drawer glides

Yes I am in the design process for kitchen cabinets.

I saw this with the paragraph quoted...
http://www.austinhomeandliving.com/monthly/art.php/914

Accessing your storage space can be just as crucial as having
storage space in the first place. Eve Barnes notes that the
latest in cabinetry technology makes getting things in and out
of storage as easy as possible: Full-extension drawers,
self-closing mechanisms and glide-and-bumper mechanisms
("For a soft close," she says) are all simple but noticeable
advances in storage technology.

Does anyone know what they are talking about and where to obtain
them, etc. ?

Any cautions, as in they work great for 6 months but a year later...?

Thanks in advance.

Rockler carries a good selection of kitchen drawer slides and related
hardware.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product..._id=3&catid=81

I have seen Accuride ball bearing drawer slides last for years
supporting drawers full of heavy tools in a a factory.
http://www.accuride.com

SonomaProducts.com

You'll need to do some googling to figure exactly what you want but
once you have an idea a few pointers I can offer a

1. Blum is a very reputable brand. If you buy their better lines they
will work for a very long time.
2. Try wood workers hardware http://www.wwhardware.com/. I needed a
bunch of 150 LB capacity undermounted slides a while back and found
these guys had unbeatable prices. They have a massive selection too.

loutent

Hi George,

At the very least, you need to have full extension slides
in your kitchen. I have been replacing ours little by
little and once you have them, you won't want
anything else.

I generally use the KV 100 lb class (got them from
WW Hardware referred to in a previous post). As far
as problems, I don't think that you should worry as these
have been around for a long time and have proven themselves.
I have some in the workshop that have supported very heavy
loads for years with no problems at all.

Although I've used the "self-closing" slides where the last
few inches are drawn in by a spring mechanism, I have not
use the ones that are more elaborate in that they self-close
when only half way open or so. These look too fussy for me
in that there is a lot more hardware involved.

Lou

In article EVwFd.74318$Jk5.56290@lakeread01, George Beshers
wrote:

Yes I am in the design process for kitchen cabinets.

I saw this with the paragraph quoted...
http://www.austinhomeandliving.com/monthly/art.php/914

Accessing your storage space can be just as crucial as having
storage space in the first place. Eve Barnes notes that the
latest in cabinetry technology makes getting things in and out
of storage as easy as possible: Full-extension drawers,
self-closing mechanisms and glide-and-bumper mechanisms
("For a soft close," she says) are all simple but noticeable
advances in storage technology.

Does anyone know what they are talking about and where to obtain
them, etc. ?

Any cautions, as in they work great for 6 months but a year later...?

Thanks in advance.

Joe C.

As long as you're looking at KV, look at the CompX at the same spot on the
same site. Half the price of the KV's and I can't tell the difference
between the two. Oh wait, there is a difference, the less expensive CompX
include the mounting screws. Just received my 30 pair today.

By the way, they weigh a (figurative) ton.

Going back to part of your original post, there are some pretty high-tech
slides out there. I saw anti-slam slides at one of the big box places. No
matter how hard you slam the drawer, the last couple of inches slow it down
and it glides right in. Didn't ask how they did it. Gas shocks maybe? ;-)

Anyway, do your research and you'll find out more than you'd ever want to
know.

Joe C.

wrote:

Yes I am in the design process for kitchen cabinets.

I saw this with the paragraph quoted...
http://www.austinhomeandliving.com/monthly/art.php/914

Accessing your storage space can be just as crucial as having
storage space in the first place. Eve Barnes notes that the
latest in cabinetry technology makes getting things in and out
of storage as easy as possible: Full-extension drawers,
self-closing mechanisms and glide-and-bumper mechanisms
("For a soft close," she says) are all simple but noticeable
advances in storage technology.

Does anyone know what they are talking about and where to obtain
them, etc. ?

Any cautions, as in they work great for 6 months but a year later...?

Thanks in advance.

Unisaw A100

Look for Salice SMOVE. There was a discussion of it here
over the last week(ish).

UA100
Scarfinger

On 13 Jan 2005 09:43:28 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

You'll need to do some googling to figure exactly what you want but
once you have an idea a few pointers I can offer a

1. Blum is a very reputable brand. If you buy their better lines they
will work for a very long time.
2. Try wood workers hardware http://www.wwhardware.com/. I needed a
bunch of 150 LB capacity undermounted slides a while back and found
these guys had unbeatable prices. They have a massive selection too.

I have just outfitted my new kitchen with Blum Tandem slides on all
the drawers. I added the "Blumotion" auto closers which just clip on
to the slides, no fuss, no muss. I got all the hardware at
Woodworkers Hardware (link above) as they had the best prices by far.
Great service also.

Paul