Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Soft Close Hinges

"Thomas" wrote in message
Hi

We've had a toilet with these new soft-close hinges for just over a year
now (ie out of warranty) and the soft-close is no longer very soft - in
fact it's quite a loud bang.

The toilet is a back to the wall and there is no access to the underside
of the hinges - no little wing nuts like the old-fashioned type. After
much head scratching I managed to spot the tiny grub screws on the back of
the pillars connecting the hinge to the pan and eventiually managed to
remove the hinges which appear to be sealed units - small steel cylinders
with a protruding bar that is (I assume) friction damped inside. It would
seem that the friction damping is no longer as tight as it needs to be.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with fixing these or
do I just have to dump them and buy new ones? I wondered about baking them
in the oven - any thoughts?

Progress eh?

Thanks
Thomas