Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor socket kit

Purchased the above from B&Q. Very impressed.

Comprises of a pre wired IP55 socket, t'other end of the 2m cable is already
stripped & trimmed to go into an RCD plug (supplied).

Back of the socket has 4 mounting holes & the spacing dimensions are moulded
into the plastic case. Installation a doddle, fix socket to wall, drill
hole for cable, connect to RCD plug - Robert is your fathers brother.

Neatly avoids Part P, cost £15 which I thought was reasonable.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Purchased the above from B&Q. Very impressed.

Comprises of a pre wired IP55 socket, t'other end of the 2m cable is already
stripped & trimmed to go into an RCD plug (supplied).

Back of the socket has 4 mounting holes & the spacing dimensions are moulded
into the plastic case. Installation a doddle, fix socket to wall, drill
hole for cable, connect to RCD plug - Robert is your fathers brother.

Neatly avoids Part P, cost £15 which I thought was reasonable.

Aldi have something similar which looks good, but I haven't bought
one and don't recall the price (quite likely less than B&Q though).

Don't know why you think it avoids Prat P, but no one seems to care
about Prat P anyway, and there won't have been a single Prat P
application for any of the many thousands sold buy many retailers.
Never use Prat P as an excuse for not doing a proper professional
job.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2009 12:30 Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Aldi have something similar which looks good, but I haven't bought
one and don't recall the price (quite likely less than B&Q though).

I got one a few weeks back and very good it is too. Unfortunately (and
quite shockingly!) it was more expensive than B&Q at £19.99.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Purchased the above from B&Q. Very impressed.

Comprises of a pre wired IP55 socket, t'other end of the 2m cable is
already stripped & trimmed to go into an RCD plug (supplied).

Back of the socket has 4 mounting holes & the spacing dimensions are
moulded into the plastic case. Installation a doddle, fix socket to
wall, drill hole for cable, connect to RCD plug - Robert is your
fathers brother.

Neatly avoids Part P, cost £15 which I thought was reasonable.

Aldi have something similar which looks good, but I haven't bought
one and don't recall the price (quite likely less than B&Q though).

Don't know why you think it avoids Prat P, but no one seems to care
about Prat P anyway, and there won't have been a single Prat P
application for any of the many thousands sold buy many retailers.

Cos it plugs in and is not a new circuit? Cos B&Q sell thousands and
haven't mentioned it in the destructions - which are very comprehensive?

Never use Prat P as an excuse for not doing a proper professional job.

Very true, but an IP55 socket plug in vai an RCD is surely as safe as
houses?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
[...]

That depends which house you mean

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4455291.Building_collapse__Terraced_shop_reduced_t o_rubble/

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4455291.Building_collapse__Terraced_shop_reduced_t o_rubble/

Same happened not far from here. They decided to convert an end of terrace
newsagent into an 'indian' restaurant and started excavating the cellar -
presumably for kitchens etc. And the whole lot came down. Same in
Shepherd's Bush road some years ago - exactly the same reason. But this
time mid terrace so more chaos. I can only assume cowboys were involved as
doing cellar conversions is pretty popular round here.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
[...]

Plugging in does not actually avoid part P. If its a permanent
installation, and plugs in, it can still come under part P. So for
example, putting a plug on a new boiler rather than connecting to a FCU
does not "get round" the theoretical problem of part P.

Part P says: "The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of
Part R even where the final connection is by a 13A plug and socket.
However, work is notifiable only if it involves fixed wiring and the
installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen
or special location or associated with a special installation."

Never use Prat P as an excuse for not doing a proper professional job.

seconded...

The safest thing to do with such counter productive legislation is
ignore it.

Very true, but an IP55 socket plug in vai an RCD is surely as safe as
houses?

Well quite possibly, although generally speaking, sockets on the outside
wall of a house are supposed to be notifiable:

"g. Outdoor lighting and power installations are special installations.
Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the
garden is notifiable."

"j. The installation of a socket outlet on an external wall is
notifiable, since the socket-outlet is an outdoor connector that could
be connected to cables that cross the garden and requires RCD protection."

All nonsense really. As I mentioned before, I asked one of our BCOs how
many pure electrical only BNs they get. The answer was a nice round
number (so far)!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4455291.Building_collapse__Terraced_shop_reduced_t o_rubble/

Same happened not far from here. They decided to convert an end of
terrace newsagent into an 'indian' restaurant and started excavating
the cellar - presumably for kitchens etc. And the whole lot came
down. Same in Shepherd's Bush road some years ago - exactly the same
reason. But this time mid terrace so more chaos. I can only assume
cowboys were involved as doing cellar conversions is pretty popular
round here.

Cowboys working for Indians?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:23:00 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm
quoted this:-

"j. The installation of a socket outlet on an external wall is
notifiable, since the socket-outlet is an outdoor connector that could
be connected to cables that cross the garden..."

Well blow me down. Who would ever of thought of that?

Shortly I will be plugging a cable into an outside socket which I
installed on the wall myself. The cables will indeed cross the
garden, that's how they get to the strimmer, lawn mower, shredder,
electric drill and the other tools I use in the garden. They are fed
directly from a consumer unit I installed myself. Given that I am
the person most likely to die if I did anything wrong I was very
careful to do it properly and I make sure it is maintained properly
for the same reason.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/06/2009 12:30 Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Aldi have something similar which looks good, but I haven't bought
one and don't recall the price (quite likely less than B&Q though).

I got one a few weeks back and very good it is too. Unfortunately (and
quite shockingly!) it was more expensive than B&Q at £19.99.

B&Q do a double socket kit for £17.
It even has holes for a padlock so people can't tamper.
The double socket is now on my shed with three SWA cables connected and the
RCD plug is on one of my extension leads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 June, 18:05, David Hansen
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:23:00 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm
quoted this:-

"j. * The installation of a socket outlet on an external wall is
notifiable, since the socket-outlet is an outdoor connector that could
be connected to cables that cross the garden..."

Well blow me down. Who would ever of thought of that?

Shortly I will be plugging a cable into an outside socket which I
installed on the wall myself. The cables will indeed cross the
garden, that's how they get to the strimmer, lawn mower, shredder,
electric drill and the other tools I use in the garden. They are fed
directly from a consumer unit I installed myself. Given that I am
the person most likely to die if I did anything wrong I was very
careful to do it properly and I make sure it is maintained properly
for the same reason.

So you believe in the peace of the summer garden.

And make sure you wear your cycle helmet, or you'll die anyway ;-)

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2009 18:23 dennis@home wrote:

B&Q do a double socket kit for £17.

The Aldi is a double. I had assumed TMH's was also.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Very true, but an IP55 socket plug in vai an RCD is surely as safe as
houses?

To be fair Dave, B&Q sell CUs and most of those probably don't mention Part
P in the instructions - if they even have instructions...

Th "plug in" thing was missed in the first version of Part P IIRC but was
added in later. Otherwise you could jack your whole house in via a single
125A commando and call it an appliance. Well, technically if your house is
a caravan that logic does work... Go figure.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 28/06/2009 18:23 dennis@home wrote:

B&Q do a double socket kit for £17.

The Aldi is a double. I had assumed TMH's was also.

Single.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2009 00:02 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Single.

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the extra fiver!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 29/06/2009 00:02 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Single.

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the extra fiver!

Know what you mean. Every time I buy something, somebody here has just
bought one for less :-(

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk