Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor socket

This one here to be precise: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ170243832926

Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it needs a
separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I think you need two
feeds". After I sent the question to him I wondered if perhaps they gave you
two glands in case you wanted to daisy chain more than one together but
either scenario seems unlikely.

Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate feed to
each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes:
This one here to be precise: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ170243832926

Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it needs a
separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I think you need two
feeds". After I sent the question to him I wondered if perhaps they gave you
two glands in case you wanted to daisy chain more than one together but
either scenario seems unlikely.

Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate feed to
each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

I would presume it's so it can be part of a ring, or non-last
on a radial circuit.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it needs
a separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I think you
need two feeds". After I sent the question to him I wondered if perhaps
they gave you two glands in case you wanted to daisy chain more than
one together but either scenario seems unlikely.

Could be part of a ring or spur in which case you would need an 'in and
out' - you need one gland per cable to waterproof them.

Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate feed
to each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

Looks like a standard domestic one inside a waterproof box to me - so
would normally be internally connected.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes:
This one here to be precise:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ170243832926

Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it
needs a separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I
think you need two feeds". After I sent the question to him I
wondered if perhaps they gave you two glands in case you wanted to
daisy chain more than one together but either scenario seems
unlikely.

Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate
feed to each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

I would presume it's so it can be part of a ring, or non-last
on a radial circuit.

That sounds likely, ta.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

This one here to be precise: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ170243832926

Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it needs a
separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I think you need two
feeds". After I sent the question to him I wondered if perhaps they gave you
two glands in case you wanted to daisy chain more than one together but
either scenario seems unlikely.
Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate feed to
each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

Some of these can be wired independently - so you could for example wire
each to a different circuit (not that this would be a sensible thing in
most cases). Typically however you would normally just include internal
bridge wires to common both sockets.

So the only time you are likely to need the extra gland is when you need
to continue the circuit on to another accessory since you can't use two
cables in one gland.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:10:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Looks like a standard domestic one inside a waterproof box to me - so
would normally be internally connected.

That one is the remains of an ALDI offer from a few months ago.

It came with an RCD plug which seems to have gone missing and they are
disposing of the remaining socket and bits.

You are meant to put the socket on an outside wall, the cable through
the wall and then an RCD plug on the cable to terminate it. The thing
then plugs into the mains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Looks like a standard domestic one inside a waterproof box to me - so
would normally be internally connected.

That one is the remains of an ALDI offer from a few months ago.

It came with an RCD plug which seems to have gone missing and they are
disposing of the remaining socket and bits.

You are meant to put the socket on an outside wall, the cable through
the wall and then an RCD plug on the cable to terminate it. The thing
then plugs into the mains.

Oh yes? Any idea how much it was?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Looks like a standard domestic one inside a waterproof box to me -
so would normally be internally connected.

That one is the remains of an ALDI offer from a few months ago.

It came with an RCD plug which seems to have gone missing and they
are disposing of the remaining socket and bits.

You are meant to put the socket on an outside wall, the cable through
the wall and then an RCD plug on the cable to terminate it. The thing
then plugs into the mains.

Oh yes? Any idea how much it was?

Si

I'm not that eager to know - blame the cheesy server.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Looks like a standard domestic one inside a waterproof box to me - so
would normally be internally connected.

That one is the remains of an ALDI offer from a few months ago.

It came with an RCD plug which seems to have gone missing and they are
disposing of the remaining socket and bits.

You are meant to put the socket on an outside wall, the cable through
the wall and then an RCD plug on the cable to terminate it. The thing
then plugs into the mains.

Oh yes? Any idea how much it was?

Si

I think I had a few pence change from a twenty pound note for it. I
just saw it and did a spec buy on it.

Putting the bits together from the likes of tlc would have meant a
single socket for about the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FFS!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

This one here to be precise:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQitemZ170243832926
Why's it come with two glands? I asked the chappy selling it if it
needs a separate feed to each socket and he replied saying "Yes I
think you need two feeds". After I sent the question to him I
wondered if perhaps they gave you two glands in case you wanted to
daisy chain more than one together but either scenario seems unlikely.

Any thoughts? Do two gang outdoor sockets generally have a separate
feed to each socket? Seems bloody silly to me.

Si

I'd be very surprised if the outlets had separate feeds - I guess that two
glands are provided so that you can continue the wiring to another device,
maybe on a ring.

Where are you going to mount the socket, and what type of cable are you
intending to use? If it's truly 'out in the weather', you really need
armoured cable - in which case you also need the proper glands, and the ones
provided won't be any good. The supply end - of course - needs to be
connected via an RCD.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

Putting the bits together from the likes of tlc would have meant a
single socket for about the same.

These are ok for the money:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB8840.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
EricP wrote:

Putting the bits together from the likes of tlc would have meant a
single socket for about the same.

These are ok for the money:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB8840.html

Do you need ones that are waterproof when in use?
If you aren't going to be using the socket in the rain,
then there are cheaper ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Do you need ones that are waterproof when in use?
If you aren't going to be using the socket in the rain,
then there are cheaper ones.

I do. It's for a pond pump inna timber box beside the pond.

Si