Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT ?, Nocturnal visitor

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:58:54 UTC, Adrian Simpson
wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Slug pellets. Unless you actually see it, in which case...salt shaker.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Slug pellets. Unless you actually see it, in which case...salt shaker.

I've already try putting down salt (on sheets of paper), but it hasn't
taken the bait. Looks like slug pellets.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 20:35:55 UTC, Adrian Simpson
wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Slug pellets. Unless you actually see it, in which case...salt shaker.

I've already try putting down salt (on sheets of paper), but it hasn't
taken the bait. Looks like slug pellets.

They won't *take* salt, just avoid it, so it can make a barrier.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 21:57, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 20:35:55 UTC, Adrian Simpson

wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Slug pellets. Unless you actually see it, in which case...salt shaker.

I've already try putting down salt (on sheets of paper), but it hasn't
taken the bait. *Looks like slug pellets.

They won't *take* salt, just avoid it, so it can make a barrier.

* *http://www.diybanter.com

We have this problem permanently as the slugs come into the house by
courtesy of our long haired cat.

If you do succeed in finding a solution please let us know as I've
tried all the suggested cures without any success whatsoever. In due
course circumstances occur that the slug and one of the family are at
the same place at the same time and the offender gets ejected - it's
just as well the slugs aren't any larger or that could be the family
member !!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 21:45:54 UTC, Rob G
wrote:

We have this problem permanently as the slugs come into the house by
courtesy of our long haired cat.

Yes, our previous cat (Maine Coon) put one in the bed once!

If you do succeed in finding a solution please let us know as I've
tried all the suggested cures without any success whatsoever. In due
course circumstances occur that the slug and one of the family are at
the same place at the same time and the offender gets ejected - it's
just as well the slugs aren't any larger or that could be the family
member !!

We cut it down a great deal by putting down slug pellets outside
occasionally. This was possible because (a) the cat wouldn't touch them
and (b) you scatter them thinly so it's a majpr task for anything else
to eat a lot of them.

Latest cat is short haired so that at least is eliminated.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Simpson" wrote in message
I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug which
is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the floor each
morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of it.

Slugs not snails, I'd suspect. Slug pellets. And/or wash the floors more
often, including under the fridge and the units!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 21:09:33 +0100, R wrote:
Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of it.

Size 9 boot.

Angle grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

You don't happen to have a cat and cat flap do you ?

We used to get them on a regular basis, caused by the cat bringing
them in on its' fur, and depositing them wherever they fell off...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Simpson wrote:
I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Adrian

Follow the trail and block the entrance. Dont use slug pellets, the
unintentional deaths they cause are sad and unnecessary

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Simpson wrote:
I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of it.

Diatomaceous earth, sprinkled where you've found the trails, and around
the perimeter of the room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 20:58:54 +0100, Adrian Simpson
wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Adrian

A dish with steep sides like a dog bowl with some beer in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Colin Wilson
o.uk writes
I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

You don't happen to have a cat and cat flap do you ?

No moggie, and hence no moggie flap.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have this problem permanently as the slugs come into the house by
courtesy of our long haired cat.

Yes, our previous cat (Maine Coon) put one in the bed once!

If you do succeed in finding a solution please let us know as I've
tried all the suggested cures without any success whatsoever. In due
course circumstances occur that the slug and one of the family are at
the same place at the same time and the offender gets ejected - it's
just as well the slugs aren't any larger or that could be the family
member !!

We cut it down a great deal by putting down slug pellets outside
occasionally. This was possible because (a) the cat wouldn't touch them
and (b) you scatter them thinly so it's a majpr task for anything else
to eat a lot of them.

Latest cat is short haired so that at least is eliminated.

Take a look on the green gardener web site, I'm sure that they do a
nematode that kills them. Just taken a look and they do. Top row middle
panel.

Otherwise, get the angle grinder out. Every time you get one, it should
end up in next door's garden with fatal wounds :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Simpson writes:
I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Blocking the way in.

I used to find them occasionally. When I came to gut and refit
the bathroom, I found a hole through the wall which would have been
for the bath runaway from an older bath whose plug must have been
in a different position (before my time there). Not visible outside
as it was pretty much level with the soil and hidden byt a line of
grass/weeds which grew against the wall.

Anyway, after mortaring it some 7 years ago, never seen another slug
indoors.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I appear to have a nocturnal visitor, I think either a snail or slug
which is exploring the kitchen at night (I'm finding a trail on the
floor each morning).

Apart from borrowing a hedgehog, what is the best way of disposing of
it.

Adrian

A dish with steep sides like a dog bowl with some beer in it.

Was just typing the same reply when I noticed this one.

Yup, beer for sure, and at least the slugs and snails die happy so the
"greenies" can't object
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:
Yup, beer for sure, and at least the slugs and snails die happy so the
"greenies" can't object

upsets the Muslims though

Its fine for Muslims to drink beer, the Koran doesn't forbid it.
Its the grape stuff they can't drink.
In ancient times they all drank beer just like most of Europe.
Water was not safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:
Yup, beer for sure, and at least the slugs and snails die happy so the
"greenies" can't object

upsets the Muslims though

Its fine for Muslims to drink beer, the Koran doesn't forbid it.
Its the grape stuff they can't drink.

Dennis, dennis, dennis ...

NO

The Qu'ran says that they shouldn't get intoxicated

Not that my kids take any notice ...

In ancient times they all drank beer just like most of Europe.
Water was not safe.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2009 21:02:03 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
DavidM wrote:
Yup, beer for sure, and at least the slugs and snails die happy so the
"greenies" can't object

upsets the Muslims though

Its fine for Muslims to drink beer, the Koran doesn't forbid it.
Its the grape stuff they can't drink.

Dennis, dennis, dennis ...

NO

The Qu'ran says that they shouldn't get intoxicated

Not that my kids take any notice ...

In ancient times they all drank beer just like most of Europe.
Water was not safe.

Wetherspoons in Kingsbury (used to go there a lot) - plenty of Muslims in
there!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
DavidM wrote:
Yup, beer for sure, and at least the slugs and snails die happy so the
"greenies" can't object

upsets the Muslims though

Why? Do they only eat hal hal slugs? :-)

Dave